Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Okay, so I know in theory that it can be done, but everytime I download and open the game in VMFusion, it crashes. Same with Parallels.
Can anyone help me?
:confused:

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
e.g. Tales of Pirates, Flyff, Fiesta

All those popular 3D MMORPGS that only work for PCs.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Its a laptop. 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, Running Snow Leopard

your GPU is the biggest concern in running those... if its an Intel GMA 950 or X3100... your basically out of luck. if its a Geforce 9400 or better, it might be decent.

If you can get a game running in something Wine based (Wineskin, Crossover, etc..), you'll get a lot better performance than using a whole virtual machine.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
It's a "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M"

Whats a Wine-based?

But then it wont work in a virtual machine?

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Awesome! I didnt even know this Wine- things existed! Im gonna give it a try :D

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Awesome! I didnt even know this Wine- things existed! Im gonna give it a try :D

Wine is a work in progress.. its not perfect and it cannot yet run everything... and sometimes it takes a lot of work troubleshooting issues to finally get something to work.

Parallels and VMWare actually use Wine code in their graphics subsystems to do the graphics in the VMs.... its how they went from no 3D graphics years ago, to supporting some now.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
So you made Wineskin, right??
I can't really understand it.

Crossover runs Tales of Pirates, but it has a 7 day free trial only (Crossover, not ToP)
Can you instruct me on using Wineskin, or do it for me?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Okay, so I know in theory that it can be done, but everytime I download and open the game in VMFusion, it crashes. Same with Parallels.
Can anyone help me?
:confused:

I have played LOTRO through Parallels but have come to hate the damn product mainly because one out of every three or four times it forgets how to connect to the internet. As in, nothing short fixing its damn configuration will allow me to use it. I change nothing but it forgets or something in Windows changes.

As such, I just boot over to Windows and play the games. Parallels is relegated to harmless activities like playing non-internet games :p

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
So you made Wineskin, right??
I can't really understand it.

Crossover runs Tales of Pirates, but it has a 7 day free trial only (Crossover, not ToP)
Can you instruct me on using Wineskin, or do it for me?

I wrote a full manual and FAQ on the website :)

http://wineskin.doh123.com/Information.html

Basically you download Wineskin Winery, update to the newest wrapper on its interface there with the Update button in the wrapper section... then download an engine. The current newest one is WS7Wine1.3.15 and probably a good place to start. Select the engine and press the Create Wrapper button and it will make a Mac app named what you choose in your home folder under Applications/Wineskin.

You then close Wineskin Winery and just use the wrapper. if you right click on it and select Show Package Contents, you'll see inside of it. Wineskin.app there is a configuration app and also has an installer where you can choose and run the install for the game. The manual under the Wineskin.app section describes what everything does, as well as the "?" button in Wineskin.app itself.

Sometimes a lot or a little customization is needed to get a game to work right. The best place to find info on whats needed for your game is the Wine AppDB... but Tales of Pirates is listed as "Platinum" so it shouldn't really require anything special, it may just work. Once you have it installed and set the windows EXE to the right file that runs the program in Windows... you can also set the top title bar name so it doesn't just say Wineskin Wrapper... and custom make an icon or whatever you want (or not)... you just double click to run the program in Finder like any other Mac App. There are currently some bugs on how its created and runs in 10.5 so you may need to move it to your main Applications folder before it'll run.

Just remember to install it to drive "C:" in the installer as that is actually the "drive_c" folder inside the wrapper.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
So, use the wrapper on the .exe that you downloaded? right?

I learn so much on MacRumors. Its great.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
So, use the wrapper on the .exe that you downloaded? right?

I learn so much on MacRumors. Its great.

the simplest way is to run the Wineskin.app in the wrapper and push the Install Windows Software button and choose the .exe installer file you downloaded. You'll beed to go in there anyways... but technically you can drag and drop the .exe file on the wrapper, or just Open it in Finder with the wrapper and it'll run it too.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
So Ive downloaded the installer, and then used installer and got game open. But where does it go after I used installer?
It dissappear when i close out of game

Hackint0sh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Any reason why you're not just running bootcamp? Bootcamp will run everything you need at top speed. You just won't get the same performance out of Wine or VMWare as you do from bootcamp.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
nevermind, I got it!

Bootcamp aint free ? :p

bootcamp is free.. the WIndows license to install Windows is not. THe headache of having to install and maintain a Windows install just for a game or two... and lose all access to your OSX software while playing a game... pitiful. To people who love gaming over anything else, they see no problems with running Windows instead of OSX, but they can't seem to understand not everyone who games has the same opinions as them.

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
The way I understand it, with boot camp, Windows works great, but you cant like use all the mac stuff.
Virtual Machine was appealing cause I could do both.
Wineskin Winery is the BEST cause it doesnt even have a PC feel to it, even though it is a PC program.

Thank you, doh123 for creating this fantastic program, and for all of your help. I will be using this for non-gaming purposes aswell. :)

Now, new question from my dumb self. How do i convert a jpeg to the format that an dock icon can be? meaning i wanna change the icon to the game icon.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The way I understand it, with boot camp, Windows works great, but you cant like use all the mac stuff.
Virtual Machine was appealing cause I could do both.
Wineskin Winery is the BEST cause it doesnt even have a PC feel to it, even though it is a PC program.

Thank you, doh123 for creating this fantastic program, and for all of your help. I will be using this for non-gaming purposes aswell. :)

Now, new question from my dumb self. How do i convert a jpeg to the format that an dock icon can be? meaning i wanna change the icon to the game icon.

I make my Icon files (.icns) using FastIcns. Its a freebie app i downloaded somewhere. it puts a spinning cube up you drag and drop a jpg or even a Windows .ico file onto it then you can double click it and save it as a .icns file. In Wineskin you can set the Icon in Advanced --> Config tab to any .icns file you make or find.

Remember if your running an app thats never going to go fullscreen, go in Screen Settings and set the Decorate windows checkbox on, and the windows will look more like normal mac windows and not like the old Win98 windows they do by default. You'll have problems with that on if your doing a game that can go fullscreen though.

Most of the hard work for Wineskin is done by Wine.. its a great project. A lot is also done by the XQuartz project... I take a whole bunch of stuff together and put it in a single package and make them all play nice with each other so finished Wineskin apps run and look as much like a normal Mac app as possible. Its still not perfect, but Wine, and Wineskin are getting better all the time :)

Greencheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks, Im gonna use that app now. :)

Also, Im gonna do the decorate windows thing now

And now I'm gonna be a constant watcher of the whole Wine project. Im a fan. :D

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Ugh, this got my hopes up. I hadn't considered wine for running Everquest but i did some searches after I saw this thread. I found this:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2939
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/EverQuest

Doesn't sound like it's too easy to get EQ running under WINE. Anyone have personal experience?

It'll probably work... just will take some work getting it right... could be a pain though. Haven't played that game in many many many years... tough I played it during beta up through first 5 years of release.

EDIT: sounds pretty straightforward reading it more... just replace a .dll file and play...

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I just created a Wineskin wrapper quickly to play EQ1 and it seems to work fine with the free trial.

I made a Wineskin wrapper using WS7Wine1.3.15 engine, installed IE7 with Winetricks in it... then just played the game. I haven't tested much but everything appears fine.. i created a character and walked around the newbie area.

Fullscreen is not working right as it stops the mouse from moving, but it runs ok in a window.... might be some way to fix that.. I haven't looked through al the stuff in the AppDB entry, but I didn't ned any hacked .dll files or anything and the character models seem to be just fine to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.