Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sawtooth420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Hi, i've seen this topic is already been discussed, but i'd like to have more knowledge on it. I'm going to order a 15' 2.0 but i work with audio and for me the most important thing is to use a silent maschine as i work in a silent enviroment. I'm reading new models are very powerful but more noisy respect previous. Expecially looks like the fans are on almost always or frequently. Is this true? Is this related just to the thermal paste problem or in every new models fans start more often than previous models?
I'm asking this because my girlfriend has a 2010 15" and is pretty damn silent and i'm tempted to buy this machine instead of new models.
What do you think? Anyone needs a silent laptop too?
Thanks for any opinions about this.

un.titled

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Hi, i've seen this topic is already been discussed, but i'd like to have more knowledge on it. I'm going to order a 15' 2.0 but i work with audio and for me the most important thing is to use a silent maschine as i work in a silent enviroment. I'm reading new models are very powerful but more noisy respect previous. Expecially looks like the fans are on almost always or frequently. Is this true? Is this related just to the thermal paste problem or in every new models fans start more often than previous models?
I'm asking this because my girlfriend has a 2010 15" and is pretty damn silent and i'm tempted to buy this machine instead of new models.
What do you think? Anyone needs a silent laptop too?
Thanks for any opinions about this.

How much could you get the 2010 15" for? That would determine my answer. The fans on the 2011 definitely run more, especially if you're using anything CPU intensive. Results are promising for the individuals who reapplied the thermal paste, but that's a pain in the ass in my opinion.

Manacit

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
New York, NY
I'm using Burn to convert a 4GB MKV to MPG right now, the fans are spinning at almost 5000 RPM, and I don't think it's loud at all. There's someone sleeping in the next room, and they definitely can't hear them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.