Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
There's been a few posts asking "what to buy". If I was starting out looking for an easy-ish to use pro camcorder good for corporate videos, these would be on my comparison list. These camcorders all have XLR inputs. They don't have detachable lenses. They may have SDI.
Canon
XA-10
RRP US$1999
  • AVCHD
  • 1 chip
  • SDXC card
XF100
RRP US$3300
  • 50 mbps MPEG2, 4:2:2
  • CF card
  • 1 chip
  • no one-push autofocus or genlock or timecode
Canon XF300
RRP US$6799
  • 50 mbps MPEG2, 4:2:2
  • CF card
  • 3 chip
Sony
NX70E
Pricing unknown ATM
NX5E
RRP US$4950
  • AVCHD
  • 3 chip
  • dual SDHC slots
  • SDI
  • Time code and can sync with another NX5E
  • 128 GB flash memory unit available for dual recording
  • real RCA out jacks, not these silly little connectors Sony's been using recently
  • LANC control
Sony EX1R
RRP US$7790
  • 3 chip
  • MPEG2 recording at 35 mbps
  • SDI connection
  • uses SxS cards
  • can use optional hard drive recorder, but it probably costs as much as an Atomos Ninja knowing Sony.
Panasonic
AG-HPX250
Expected RRP under 5500 euros. whatever a euro is.
  • 3-chip 10-bit 4:2:2 100 mbps AVC Intra. In a handheld camcorder. Wow. Just wow.
  • P2 cards
AG-AC160
RRP US$5500
  • AVCHD
  • SDXC cards
  • SDI
  • looks like a great camera in spite of my brevity
HMC150
RRP US$3995
  • 3 chip CCD, not CMOS.
  • AVCHD, but only up to 21 mbps.
  • lots of pro video features (waveform monitor, vectorscope etc)

Last edited:

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Thanks for this, One I would add is the JVC HM100. One huge selling point is that it saves files as .mov. This is a huge selling point for mac users.

Do you know of any similar cameras that saves files as .mov?

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I didn't include the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or the AG-HMC150 because you have to buy an accessory to get XLR inputs, and I think that's just stingy on Panasonic's part.:mad:

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
martinX,

I know that's true for the HMC40, but I don't think that's for the HMC150. However, that's one of the reasons that the 150 is more expensive.

OTOH, someone getting started in prosumer video may already have a recorder with XLR connectors. If so, the lower cost Panasonic can be purchased without the add-on.

Just a thought. Nevertheless, your list is a valuable resource.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I stand corrected. The HMC150 does come with the XLR inputs as standard.

Interestingly enough, it's not available in my country. Panasonic Australia really give me the irrits sometimes...

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Is there something wrong with the EX1 (with some letter after it as they have updated it I think) or is that old news? I mean I know it's old news but it seems to me that it should be on this list. Or am I missing something

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Is there something wrong with the EX1 (with some letter after it as they have updated it I think) or is that old news? I mean I know it's old news but it seems to me that it should be on this list. Or am I missing something
Good call. Added.

I now have 3 cameras from each, although there isn't really equivalent ones from each manufacturer. For example, the Canon XA10 is pretty dinky and probably comparable to, say, that low end Sony HXR-MC50E, but the Sony lacks XLR inputs (and is more a consumer camera + microphone + lens hood to look cool) so it's not on the list.

Jbgloss

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2011
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Great thread Martin!!

Right now for me

Deciding between the Cannon XF100 and Sony HXR-NX70E

I obviously have to wait on both, though you could get lucky with the XF100 I am intrigued with the Sony and can't wait for the pricing.

I am also waiting for FCX with the changes that are coming. I guess it is a great time to be getting into this :)

I will definitely be buying on of those two, unless I am just blown away by something else at this point.

Run and gun is very important to me.

Thank you for this thread I am still open to all the cameras here!!! But I really like the look of the Sony and Cannon and wait reviews. OR I just may be a first mover and be a reviewer :)

EDIT......WOW that small Panasonic could be awesome..... LOL another wait and see :)

Thanks Martin! Great thread,

JB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.