Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Hi ppl,

I've asked this question few years before and was taught the Single User (UNIX) mode method. I'm trying to get my MacBook ready for hand-me-down. Is there a way to delete the necessary files/folder via target disc mode instead? And what files/folder do I need to delete?
Thanks!

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
should have phrased my question more specifically.

I've done a clean install, and I've went ahead and created an user account to do all the updates and install bundled apps. Now, before I hand it down to my sister, I want to delete my user account etc, so when she switches it on the first time, she will be greeted by the setup assistant. what files/folder do i delete? (i'm going to user target disc mode)

Thanks!!

Runwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
How to reset OS X 10.6 to "Factory Fresh"

It's a bit late, but I hope this helps someone. Just did it myself:

Here are the Terminal commands to delete a temporary (or lone) account in single-user mode on Leopard (in the following commands, replace username with whatever account short name you've created). Note that this must all be done in single user mode (hold Command-S during boot).

How to Reset your Snow Leopard 10.6 Mac to "factory fresh" user experience with setup assistant:

Note: this does not securely delete data. If you are transferring this computer to another person, do a secure wipe, reinstall, run your updates, and THEN do this to clean up after yourself and provide a new experience to the recipient.

-Make sure your temp account has a password set, however short.
-Boot to single user mode by holding down Command+S when powering on until you see the boot sequence start.
-Run these commands (the $ means the prompt)

Code:
$ mount -uw /
$ rm -R /Library/Preferences/
$ rm -R /Users/USERNAME/
$ /bin/launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
$ dscl . -delete /Groups/admin GroupMembership <username>
note: this line doesn't seem to be needed: $ dscl . -delete /Users/USERNAME
$ rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
$ shutdown -h now

that's it.
If you want to boot up and verify, let it boot, set your volume level and when you get to the first setup window press Command+Q to shut down without leaving any traces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.