Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roraz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Well ive ordered my powerbook - my first mac computer, as well as a linksys wireless adsl modem router - hopefully be here in a couple of days!

Having been a windows pc kinda guy, im kinda new to the whole mac scene

anybody recommend any stuff eg apps, sites, tips, tricks etc for a noob for when I get my powerbook? Stuff I should do/get?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
roraz said:
Well ive ordered my powerbook - my first mac computer, as well as a linksys wireless adsl modem router - hopefully be here in a couple of days!

Having been a windows pc kinda guy, im kinda new to the whole mac scene

anybody recommend any stuff eg apps, sites, tips, tricks etc for a noob for when I get my powerbook? Stuff I should do/get?

do a search of the forums here for free and cool apps to get you started, be sure to install all the updates too, and explore the new OS and have fun!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Buy a book. This book...

David Pogue: Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition

Invaluable for a newcomer.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
roraz said:
What would you recommend a Mac noob do first?

Grovel and worship me, for I am a Mac God!

Seriosuly though, just play with it. Get used to the UI differences.

Stay out of /Library and /System and you shouldn't be able to do much damage to your operating system.

Don't go nutz with UI "enhancements" and themes and whatnot. Spend time getting used to the UI and OS in their 'vanilla' form, and then find things that you feel you need to enhance usability.

Don't let yourself call it a MAC (which I noticed you didn't, kudos!). It's not. It's a Mac, short for Macintosh. And actually, you have a PowerBook, and you can call it a PB. end ramble.

END COMMUNICATION

if you have access to the mac magazines they have a lot of articles and how tos and tips and reader sent it tips that will help you get the most out of your mac, i fyou have the time just surf aroudn the need scouring it for tidbits...luckily in macrumors you have a whole assortment of macusers who are willing to share their info

the tip on os x missing manual is great

also try reading apples help document, and just explore your system you will learn a lot

just dont go deleting stuff if you dont know what it does

roraz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
my powerbook arrives tomorrow, really looking forward to trying it out :D

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Surf the net like a mother. Download whatever you want. Open emails from whoever seems to send you something. And never think twice about getting something damaging to your system. :p

Congrats and welcome. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.