Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Needing some wisdom folks.

I've got a back up folder on an external hard drive and i used a laptop with Win XP and Macdrive to check a file was in there.(I was waiting on delivery of the PB in my sig.)

Since then, my mac won't recognise my external HD, but if I use Macdrive or HFSExtender on the Win XP laptop, my external HD is found along with all of the files which form my back up. I'm pulling out what little hair I have left!

I've posted this on the OS X forum here too but no-one seems to want, or be able to help.

Strimkind

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
The volume could be corrupt for whatever reason (maybe incorrect ejecting of the drive).

You may have to use Diskwarrior to recover the data from the external drive on the mac side. I have found it to be the best option for restoring a drive to access files.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
the data isn't corrupt though.

If I connect the drive to a win laptop I can see the files using Macdrive or HSFExtender!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Is drive itself (not volume on it) visible under any of disk utilities on a Mac?
Maybe there's something wrong with USB or firewire in your PB, or enclosure/adapter which you use is Mac incompatible?

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
can you see the external drive in disk utility? Do you know how it was formatted?

If you can see it in disk util. but it's grayed out you could try mounting it manually

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I can't see it at all in Disk Utility

if I connect it to a windows box with Macdrive or HFSExtender all my files are there!

The drive was formatted with my old 12" PB before it went kaput.

It's very strange...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.