Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a Knowledge Base article that addresses the recent MacDefender malware issue and also reveals they will be addressing it in the next few days through a software update
In the coming days, Apple will deliver a Mac OS X software update that will automatically find and remove Mac Defender malware and its known variants. The update will also help protect users by providing an explicit warning if they download this malware.

Article Link: Apple to Update Mac OS X to Remove 'Mac Defender' Malware

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
If this ever actually becomes a problem I wonder if Apple will require applications to be bought from the app store.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Are they going to release a new version of OS X after each discovered malware? Perhaps this way they could still claim that there is no malware on [updated] OS X :D

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Never thought a Mac could get a virus. Hope it won't be bad as Windows viruses. Its good thing that APPLE is taking this seriously and not Microsoft.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Never thought a Mac could get a virus. Hope it won't be bad as Windows viruses. Its good thing that APPLE is taking this seriously and not Microsoft.

To be clear, this is not a virus. It does not appear to self-replicate, spread itself to others, or steal information surreptitiously.

It is really more of a scam that requires the active duping and input of the user. Although it does qualify as malware...

Don't get me wrong. It IS possible for Macs to get viruses. But this isn't one.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Apple has done this before with security updates but theyve nevr had something spread like this in the wild before.

Microsoft releases a monthly "Microsoft Removal Tool" to remove the worst offenders currently out there as well. hopefully apple will start to do this as they are going to have more and more of this with the growing user base they have.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
From a business perspective I don't see this to be an intelligent move.

If they provide a fix for this, what happens when; a day/week/year from now when another virus/malware program comes along?

People will feel that Apple should provide a fix whenever anything goes wrong when really with things like this it's down to the fault of the user.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Oh oh! Will remember this as v1.0 of Mac OS X Anti-malware application.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

LoganT said:
If this ever actually becomes a problem I wonder if Apple will require applications to be bought from the app store.

To be honest this is the solution and so long as they don't abuse it by charging lots for software, I'd be pleased

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

PJMAN2952 said:

It's NOT a virus. It's a piece of software written to perform hidden, often harmful tasks, MALWARE. The user still has to actually install it, unlike a virus which may be acquired with usual specific user actions such as opening an email or surfing.

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/1999041209131106

What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?

<snip>

What Is a Trojan horse?

A Trojan Horse is full of as much trickery as the mythological Trojan Horse it was named after. The Trojan Horse, at first glance will appear to be useful software but will actually do damage once installed or run on your computer. Those on the receiving end of a Trojan Horse are usually tricked into opening them because they appear to be receiving legitimate software or files from a legitimate source.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
From a business perspective I don't see this to be an intelligent move.

If they provide a fix for this, what happens when; a day/week/year from now when another virus/malware program comes along?

People will feel that Apple should provide a fix whenever anything goes wrong when really with things like this it's down to the fault of the user.

I see this as a good thing. Loads better than AppleCare telling people to reimage/reinstall or buy another product to fix their system. I think apple will probably begin providing it's own antivirus again as part of mobile me or this new icloud service.

tbb07

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
It's only the front page and there's already some serious apple circlejerking. How about the news that Apple told the Apple Geniuses to not even recognize the Mac Defender, and pretend it's nothing?

There are so many apple news daily that just doesn't get covered in the Macrumors echo chamber, it kinda sickens me.

And yes, Microsoft takes its security seriously. It's just mac was never even worth hacking because pc dominated the entire market. Besides, there are free anti-virus programs (avg, microsoft security essentials, etc) that can take down any viruses. I'm just saying this as someone who has used a pc for over a decade without virus problems. (now own an iMac owner)

I don't even know why I'm ranting about this. I guess it's just that I find everything fine with windows, and I find the majority of the criticisms lacking any substance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.