Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlinford

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi

I would like to know if it possible to split an iTunes library across drives.

As I put put movies into my library my MacBooks Hard Drive is feeling the squeeze. Is it possible to set up iTunes so that it store part of a library on an external HD so that as soon as that drive is plugged in, iTunes sees the contents?

Up to know I have put a separate movie store on an external drive, simply in folders. However, since getting an iPad where the iPad acts as an extension to iTunes, this solution is no longer tight...

can anyone offer help?
:confused:

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I would like to know if it possible to split an iTunes library across drives.

yes.

Is it possible to set up iTunes so that it store part of a library on an external HD so that as soon as that drive is plugged in, iTunes sees the contents?

yes.

can anyone offer help?

assuming the copy to ... when adding option is enabled in iTunes > preferences > advanced, do this:

1. copy the movie files to the external HD
  2. drag them from the external into an open iTunes window while holding the option (⌥) key

iTunes will index the path to the location of the files, but not copy them physically to your internal drive's iTunes folder.

to move selected content to another location (again, assuming the copy to ... when adding option is enabled):

1. go iTunes > preferences > advanced and point iTunes media folder location to the external HD. ok out of preferences.
  2. select (highlight) the files to be moved in iTunes
  3. right-click (or ctrl-click) and choose consolidate files from the pop-up menu

when done, you can delete the original files from your local iTunes media (or music) folder.

be aware that iTunes will put newly added content where the iTunes media folder location is pointed. so, make sure you point it back to you internal iTunes folder if you want to add, say, music and to the external HD when you want to add movies.

tlinford

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Smiling,

many thanks, you have answered a question that has been bugging me a while, a question that even one of my most learned friends thought wasn't possible!
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.