Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_rubber_bottom_case.jpg

Apple last week announced a new worldwide repair program covering recent MacBook users against a defect that could cause the rubber surface on the bottom of some units to separate from the hard plastic case. Under the program, Apple will replace the bottom case of any affected machine free of charge for up to two years from the date of purchase.
Apple has determined that under certain circumstances the rubber surface on some MacBooks may separate from the bottom case of the system. MacBooks shipped between October 2009 and April 2011 may experience this issue.

Apple will replace the bottom case of any affected MacBook, free of charge, that exhibits the issue.
Apple offers several options for replacement, including assisted service at the company's retail stores or authorized third-party service providers, as well as a self-install option under which Apple will send any affected user a kit containing the replacement bottom case, screws, a screwdriver, and instructions for replacing the case.

While the program currently provides coverage for two years from the date of purchase, Apple does indicate that it will continue to evaluate repair data and may extend the coverage as needed.

Article Link: Apple Offering Repair Program for MacBook Bottom Case Defects

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From the wording it seems that you can order the kit whether or not your MacBook actually has this problem, so you can take care of it if it does happen later, but that you can't take it to an Apple retail store for the replacement service unless it "exhibits the issue".

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Good. Mine has this problem. Its a bubbling up in the left hand corner for me. Need to make a trip the store in Indy.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
Great news that they will send the bits out.
My first base bubbled badly on the left hand side and the replacement, which was put on FOC in December last year, is already starting to do the same again.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
What type of screwdrivers will it come with?

I hope it comes with iScrewdrivers.
I'm glad Apple is allowing a customer-install option instead of creating longer lines at Genius Bars. It's refreshing when any company proactively fixes product defects.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Typically Apple's repair programs are for three years. Kind of disheartening that this is only for two years.

Never going to let go of when Apple refused to repair my PowerMac G5 Quad that had its power supply go bad 3 years, 3 months after purchase, and the repair program was for 3 years. The power supply qualified, but both techs denied me, saying it was outside of the repair window.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
No kidding?

I would still be mad about that too! A lot of those power supplies had issues. I owned a PowerMac G5 tower myself, and I was lucky enough not to need it changed out --- but I remember lots of discussions of things like power supplies introducing buzzing noises into the audio, etc. etc. I believe that power supply went through at least 4 or 5 revisions (rev. A through something like E) as someone at Apple seemed to be trying to fix something with them.

That's one of the things that bugs me to this day about Apple service, though. Although *generally speaking*, they're really quite good? The company seems to insist on treating customers to a service experience where you're supposed to feel "lucky and privileged" that Apple did something for you. Often-times, these recalls cover a specific range of serial numbers of a given machine, when people clearly have the SAME problem cropping up with one outside that range. The sensible thing to do would be to cover it anyway (and submit it as evidence the range of affected serials might need to be expanded)-- but instead, you're left at the mercy of the tech. and how generous they feel about helping you out that day.

I've learned that when they pull the "outside the repair window" thing and you know you have a legitimate complaint, it's wise to escalate it via email to corporate. They have an executive team monitoring email addresses like the sjobs@apple.com one, who seem to intercept complaints like that and give you another chance at resolving them fairly.

Typically Apple's repair programs are for three years. Kind of disheartening that this is only for two years.

Never going to let go of when Apple refused to repair my PowerMac G5 Quad that had its power supply go bad 3 years, 3 months after purchase, and the repair program was for 3 years. The power supply qualified, but both techs denied me, saying it was outside of the repair window.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Apple didn't cover this issue before? :eek: My MacBook has had the problem for months, but I've been putting off taking it in. I guess that was a wise decision since Apple is barely addressing it right now. Oh well, better late than never I suppose.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I received this today & all was fine with doing the replacement myself. UPS even came same day to take the old part back!

Very impressed personally.

mrjohnc

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
A word of warning

Just to tell you my experience of doing the repair myself in the UK.

They send you a very snotty letter, that includes:

" Your defective item should be returned so the Apple receives it within 10 business days of shipping the replacement part to you. If unreturned, your credit card will be charged by the amount quoted to you, when you agreed to proceed with this repair."

a) i don't have a credit card

b) they are threatening to charge me an undisclosed amount for a part that they have had to send me because they didn't make my computer properly if I don't get it done when they want. They don't tell me what the price is, how am i supposed to know? is it £10? £50?

c) they are implying that they have my bank details, i have never given them them except when buying my computer, this is worrying.

d) The screwdriver they send you is far too soft for the job so it's very hard to get all the screws in before the edges wear away.

FYI the document has the code B073-1221-C on the bottom, I assume everybody gets this.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I'm a UK poster (the one above yours) and I didn't have any issues with the skrews or driver. If you you angle them slightly they just glide in. The reason for the letter, is that will be the standard letter that goes out on standard repairs. The nature of this repair is just different since it's a "mass recall" type, just ignore it. My document booklet had a different code at the bottom (at the bottom of the last page for proof of collection & on the reverse) but the format was the same, so I would imagine these could be unique to the client.

I arranged my pick up from UPS the same day that I received the kite & they came and got it that day as well.

I think you're being a little overly critical (maybe).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
From the wording it seems that you can order the kit whether or not your MacBook actually has this problem, so you can take care of it if it does happen later, but that you can't take it to an Apple retail store for the replacement service unless it "exhibits the issue".

Interesting. Am I able to order this kit online just to have it in case it does occur? Or would I have to send in the original bottom case part back to Apple as part of the program?

I would like to have a backup if this issue does happen down the road

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Interesting. Am I able to order this kit online just to have it in case it does occur? Or would I have to send in the original bottom case part back to Apple as part of the program?

I would like to have a backup if this issue does happen down the road

I worked on the same mentality as you, but you do have to send the other one back. I just did the replacement as a "preventive" and once I saw the new one on, it actually did look a lot better! A brand new bottom made the machine look new!

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Sure that this isn't the 'new' white MacBook that has only been out a couple of years in the first place?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I worked on the same mentality as you, but you do have to send the other one back. I just did the replacement as a "preventive" and once I saw the new one on, it actually did look a lot better! A brand new bottom made the machine look new!

So your old one didn't have this issue? And Apple was ok with sending a non-faulty unit back? If so, I will order mine today!

I mean, I would rather have a properly designed bottom case than one that may be faulty down the road and I will be out of warranty

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK

b) they are threatening to charge me an undisclosed amount for a part that they have had to send me because they didn't make my computer properly if I don't get it done when they want. They don't tell me what the price is, how am i supposed to know? is it £10? £50?

The price on the receipt I got in store was £74! For a bit of rubber!
I'm going back this week for my second repair on this and I'll ask for the kit this time because the nearest store is an hour away.

rforsyth

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Ive had a second repair on my 2009 macbook in less than a year and a half, the kid in the shop did not have a clue what i was on about when i said this problem is common and even on apples own website.He just kept saying its 'extreme heat' if it allows it to get that hot surely the part would be made to it can handle that?
Told him if this happens again i will probably be seeking some sort of compensation or wanting a exchange for a macbook pro, as i believe that this does not happen on them, this is due to the fact there obviously not fit for purpose if this is continually happening and eventually my apple care will run out and i would be forced to pay for it myself after that.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple last week announced a new worldwide repair program covering recent MacBook users against a defect that could cause the rubber surface on the bottom of some units to separate from the hard plastic case. Under the program, Apple will replace the bottom case of any affected machine free of charge for up to two years from the date of purchase.Apple offers several options for replacement, including assisted service at the company's retail stores or authorized third-party service providers, as well as a self-install option under which Apple will send any affected user a kit containing the replacement bottom case, screws, a screwdriver, and instructions for replacing the case.

While the program currently provides coverage for two years from the date of purchase, Apple does indicate that it will continue to evaluate repair data and may extend the coverage as needed.

Article Link: Apple Offering Repair Program for MacBook Bottom Case Defects

Sorry to nitpick, but you are wrong in stating that the rubber separates from the plastic body - it doesn't - it is attached to an *aluminium* bottom plate.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
I got my second replacement fitted in an apple store yesterday. They had them in stock so I wonder if they've been getting a lot more now (before they had to order it in). One thing I did notice this time was that the left side, which is where it's happened every time so far, had some white residue on it. I suspect they're glueing the base down there now to reduce the chances of it lifting. I was also told it's a new rubber compound to stop it happening.

See how it goes.....

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010

" Your defective item should be returned so the Apple receives it within 10 business days of shipping the replacement part to you. If unreturned, your credit card will be charged by the amount quoted to you, when you agreed to proceed with this repair."

I don't understand what your problem is... that is the way they handle ALL warranty replacements that require them send you the part beforehand. iPhone USB cables, Magsafe, you name it. Imagine all the people that would take advantage of seemingly "unlimited" supply of Cables, Chargers, MacBook case bottoms, etc. if they didn't require a credit card hold to ensure a return of the broken part.

It is standard operating procedure.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008

c) they are implying that they have my bank details, i have never given them them except when buying my computer, this is worrying.

d) The screwdriver they send you is far too soft for the job so it's very hard to get all the screws in before the edges wear away.

FYI the document has the code B073-1221-C on the bottom, I assume everybody gets this.

Boo hoo, poor old you. :D

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
Does this mean macbooks after May do not have this problem? Did they change the glue or something?

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
well to get it you sign in with your apple id which is usually linked to some payment form for your purchased items in itunes or from an i device so that is how they have a payment method from you.

I have a late 09 macbook, and have not had the issue with mine at all...

I was thinking of just getting the replacement one and sending mine in but since it does not have the problem, I am wondering if that would be the right thing to do.

Well at least I know that I can get it down the road if I need it.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Apple today released MainStage 2.1.3, an update to the company's Logic Studio component for bringing virtual instruments and effects to live performances. According to the release notes, the update addresses over 20 issues in a number of areas.

How is this at all relevant to this thread topic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.