Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Is anyone using these sounds in Mac OS X? I decided that I wanted them available in Mac OS X, so I used ResEdit to get them out of the system suitcase, SndConverter Pro to convert them to system 7 sound format, and iTunes to convert those to AIFF. I then moved the AIFF files to /Library/Sounds (I had to create the Sounds folder) so that Mac OS X would see them.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Why make a /Library/Sounds, and not the existing /System/Library/Sounds or your user spesific ~/Library/Sounds...?

Now, it has been a while since I used OS 9, to anything but a game of MOO, bat aren't many of the system sounds the same as in OS X? Like Basso, Frog, Ping, Submarine etc.?

I use this one as my alert sound... (may only suit cat lovers... ;))

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Why make a /Library/Sounds, and not the existing /System/Library/Sounds or your user spesific ~/Library/Sounds...?

Now, it has been a while since I used OS 9, to anything but a game of MOO, bat aren't many of the system sounds the same as in OS X? Like Basso, Frog, Ping, Submarine etc.?

I use this one as my alert sound... (may only suit cat lovers... ;))
Some of them are the same, others aren't. Why did I put it in /Library/Sounds? You're not supposed to modify the /System folder or anything in it, and I just felt like using the global one even though I'm the only user of my Mac. Here are some of the sounds Mac OS 9 had that Mac OS X doesn't: ChuToy, Logjam, SimpleBeep, Temple

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
wrldwzrd89 said:
Some of them are the same, others aren't. Why did I put it in /Library/Sounds? You're not supposed to modify the /System folder or anything in it, and I just felt like using the global one even though I'm the only user of my Mac.
Fair enogh, I pop whatever sound I want to be global in the /System/... folder, like the above mentioned mrrriow, and have a couple of mailsounds in my ~/Library/Sounds, never actually thought of using /Library that way... :)
wrldwzrd89 said:
Here are some of the sounds Mac OS 9 had that Mac OS X doesn't: ChuToy, Logjam, SimpleBeep, Temple
SimpleBeep brings chills down my spine... ;) ...but I can't say I remember the other three... or is Temple a long deep gong...?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Care to compress them and post them for us? ZIP or SIT will do. I'd like to hear some of them...... never used OS 9..... :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mechcozmo said:
Care to compress them and post them for us? ZIP or SIT will do. I'd like to hear some of them...... never used OS 9..... :)
I'll gladly do this as soon as I return to my Mac in about 4.5 hours (I'm in college right now, stuck on a Windows PC).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'll gladly do this as soon as I return to my Mac in about 4.5 hours (I'm in college right now, stuck on a Windows PC).

Use VNC ! Sheesh! VNC in to your Mac, set it up to do the compression, and then upload it remotely!

:p

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mechcozmo said:
Use VNC ! Sheesh! VNC in to your Mac, set it up to do the compression, and then upload it remotely!

:p
I can't. VNC traffic won't get past my router, and I don't want to open the VNC port(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.