Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
This is NOT a complaint about iOS 5, by the way, but just a note for those who may be drooling over those of us who get to try iOS 5 early, it's not as fully-baked as you might think, so don't feel bad about not getting it yet. (Yes, I know it's a Beta, that's my point)

I installed it last night, played around with it, and I'm very impressed with the changes they've made, but I ultimately decided to revert back to 4.3.3 due to some issues.

- Battery life is really bad. It hasn't been optimized yet, so I understand it, but I lost almost half my battery within two hours of moderate use this morning.

- Bugs are all over. Safari and other programs get sluggish. Mail sometimes gives me duplicate message or shows no messages unless I restart it, etc.

- iMessages is GREAT! but it won't really be a factor until my other iPhone friends have it, so it's not useful at the moment.

- Notifications are okay, but I'm not that impressed with the implementation. Maybe it will grow on me.

- Wifi syncing isn't enabled yet.

- Many of the iCloud features don't work yet or are working strangely.

I'm sure all of these features will be working perfectly by the time iOS 5 is released to the public, and I may jump back onboard with future beta releases, but for right now, I'm happy to get back the faster performance and battery life of 4.3.3.

Those of you who are chomping at the bit for iOS 5 can rest easy for a bit, because you're not missing much just yet.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Copied this from another post of mine:

You just have to enter DFU mode while connected to your computer with iTunes running, but make sure you have a downloaded copy of the 4.3.3 firmware that you can select in iTunes to restore.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

You can find the links to the 4.3.3 firmware here:
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-i...-direct-links/

It wasn't that tough. Then just restore from a backup once it's up and running. Your music and apps will have to be reloaded, but it doesn't take that long.

Good luck.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Regarding the battery life, do you think iOS 5 will be optimized for the iPhone 4? Or will it continue to suck battery even after final release?
Always thought that the newest OS would be mostly optimized for the newest hardware.

leanne..

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I was having bad battery life until I set my phone up as new instead! Now its only slightly worse than 4.3.3

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Regarding the battery life, do you think iOS 5 will be optimized for the iPhone 4? Or will it continue to suck battery even after final release?
Always thought that the newest OS would be mostly optimized for the newest hardware.

It definitely will. iOS4 was the same way. The battery life was terrible in betas, but Apple does tweaks and things before release that improve battery life. By the time iOS5 comes out it will be much better, don't worry.

At this point, they have just added a bunch of new features and haven't spent any time on optimizing battery life, as that comes later in the process.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It definitely will. iOS4 was the same way. The battery life was terrible in betas, but Apple does tweaks and things before release that improve battery life. By the time iOS5 comes out it will be much better, don't worry.

At this point, they have just added a bunch of new features and haven't spent any time on optimizing battery life, as that comes later in the process.

That's good to hear!

What didn't you like about the notification system? Just curious.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I was having bad battery life until I set my phone up as new instead! Now its only slightly worse than 4.3.3

I had heard that, too. That's good to know, but for now I'm still going to stick with 4.3.3. Maybe the next beta release I'll switch again.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
That's good to hear!

What didn't you like about the notification system? Just curious.

Sliding in from the top makes web pages and other things scroll underneath. This might be fixed, but it's annoying.

Also, I think the badges kind of work better for some things, like Mail. You can change it back for individual apps in the settings, though, which is good.

Part of it is probably just that it's a new system that I'm not used to and it will just take some time to start liking it.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Since I won't be using iCloud I'll never be getting iOS5.

I think iOS5 will always drain more battery, it's more bloated to begin with so has a bigger overhead for battery consumption.

It's also laggier, might get fixed later... but did they ever fix the lags that even iOS4 has... nope...

I'll stick to iOS4, speed, battery life and jailbroken notifications :D

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Since I won't be using iCloud I'll never be getting iOS5.

I think iOS5 will always drain more battery, it's more bloated to begin with so has a bigger overhead for battery consumption.

It's also laggier, might get fixed later... but did they ever fix the lags that even iOS4 has... nope...

I'll stick to iOS4, speed, battery life and jailbroken notifications :D

GOOD, because that ultimately translates to a larger, longer lasting battery in the next iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.