Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Hi all,

I recently installed beta 2 of iOs 5 onto my iPhone 4 and ever since the battery life has been terrible.

It was fully charged at 8am this morning and is now down to 14% by 1pm.
It has hardly been used today.

Anyone else having the same issues?

I think it might have something to do with trying to connect to the net so much, since my 500mb allowance from O2 was used up in a matter of days, even though my browsing wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I have emails Push set to off, and only a manual fetch so it can't be that?

Anyone having similar problems, ideas how to fix?

Thanks.

duncs

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
When I first installed Beta 1, this was happening to me. The phone was even getting warm, so I knew that something was causing the battery drain. However, a few days later, it stopped and hasn't done it since (even on Beta 2). My battery life right now on Beta 2 is about 12 hours with moderate use, which is not as good as I was getting before the beta, obviously, but good enough for now.

Here are some of my suggestions:

- Make sure you don't have Reminders with locations turned on. If you set one of these, the location icon will appear in your status bar and the GPS will be turned on until the reminder is triggered by your set location.

- Try turning off all iCloud features and see if that makes a difference.

- Try turning off Notifications.

- Try rebooting and not opening any apps and see if the battery still drains quickly. There could be a rogue app that you are using that doesn't get along well with iOS 5 right now.

- You could also do a backup and then do a restore from your backup. Sometimes that helps with these kind of issues, though it's a bit time consuming and annoying having to re-enter your password(s) again.

How long have you been on Beta 2? If you just installed it, give it a few days and see if it gets better. As I mentioned above, my battery life was crap the first couple of days after installing the beta, but then dramatically improved after that.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
This is why you don't put beta software/firmware on your primary/only piece of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.