Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
All of sudden the front left underside gets alot hotter then it used to... and the battery went from having 2-3hrs (5hrs orginally, 3yrs ago) to now a max of 60mins/ 1hr...WTF.....

Anyone ever experien this???

12" ibook, 1.2ghz/ 512/ 30g/ combo/apx (i added more ram from purchase orgianlly just a 256 as labeled)

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
Did this happen suddenly or gradually over time?

How recently did you purchase and install the extra 256MB of RAM?

- it happened all of sudden.( I actually was amazed how well the battery lasted, then i felt over the past 6 months the life gradually reduce from 5hrs-to-3hrs. Then, all of sudden the battery wont hold longer than 1hr and the left front underside gets very very hot, versus the very hot it always did:rolleyes: )

- When the mac was purchased and they installed it for me on the spot:apple:

Thanx man... I thought no one was going to respond. :thumb up:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's kind of normal for a battery to die in this way, and yours is probably due to die around about now anyway... As for the heat, what apps are you running? By the sounds of things, it's the hard drive that's getting hot.

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
It's kind of normal for a battery to die in this way, and yours is probably due to die around about now anyway... As for the heat, what apps are you running? By the sounds of things, it's the hard drive that's getting hot.

SW always running, pretty much..
Verizon Access Manager - for mobile broadband connection
Firefox...

at times word, excel and other media based app's might be running... when im calculating and ploting:D:apple:

I must also state... I am a P.I. i spent alot of the day on the mac and after work... its on about 50-75% of time...... I'm always on the surfing the web, mostly vwvortex.com VW Forum, but also vids and pics and times...

it wasnt the battery, that i couldnt get past... it was the coencidence that that from seeing (2:58) on full charge for awhile now.... then...BOOm... i turn it one morning and i see (0:58):eek: and i notice the mac was also way HOTTER then i ever felt and the fan does come on and off...but not eratically..

I 'm also the guy how waited for the meter to read anywhere from (0:15 ->0:08) before charging

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Was this battery covered by Apple's recall? Was it ever replaced?

(Also, can you please edit the title to say "12" iBook" and not "12" Macbook," as there is no such thing as a 12" Macbook? It'll help steer the right people to this thread, and also, we won't be forced to make fun of you. :p)

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island

(Also, can you please edit the title to say "12" iBook" and not "12" Macbook," as there is no such thing as a 12" Macbook? It'll help steer the right people to this thread, and also, we won't be forced to make fun of you. :p)

HAAAAAAAA... didnt even realize..... getting one was on my mind though, when i posted this:D

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island

No... i checked back then... still the original...

my concern is not so much the batt life... i felt more the cause of this heat... I feel, if i change to a new battery, which is need...it will still live short due to maybe some sort of HD issue? though i have no real HD issues... other than probably not as fast as when i first got it, but that normal.. no?:confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I guess it could be related to a bad hard drive. You might also try to make sure the hard drive passes both SMART status (just open Disk Utility and click on the drive in the left pane; it'll show the status at the bottom) and also Verify Disk in the same place. If a disk has logical corruptions, the OS can have to work a lot harder to compensate, and I guess that could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
anyone ever experience or here about an issue like this?

I did with my 12" powerbook, the battery life went from about 3 hours down to an hour in a few days, but that battery I found out was covered by the recall, so I was able to get it replaced. I'm guessing that your battery is going out, and it needs to be replaced.

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
I guess it could be related to a bad hard drive. You might also try to make sure the hard drive passes both SMART status (just open Disk Utility and click on the drive in the left pane; it'll show the status at the bottom) and also Verify Disk in the same place. If a disk has logical corruptions, the OS can have to work a lot harder to compensate, and I guess that could cause the symptoms you're describing.

SMART - VERIFIED

DISK UTILITY-

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles. New permissions are 16893
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/PkgInfo, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/version.plist, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents, should be 0, owner is 501
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin, should be 0, owner is 501
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions verification complete

edit: I guess i should order new drive while getting the battery? Any recommendations? whats the best/ easiest way to back up and copy this drive over? Will i need all the orginal software and programs installed afterwards?

upgrade the osx worth it on this old platform? also do you need an intel mac for bootcamp?

I know i can search all this stuff but figured i got some of the knowlegdable people aound i would ask, you guys probably already been there done that...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, boot from the OSX discs and use the bundled version of Disk utility to verify and maybe repair the drive. More information can be found here. I still think the battery problem is unrelated. Make sure everything is backed up. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you using Panther? Anyway, if you're using Tiger, Verify Disk should be available from the normal boot off HD. If you're using Panther, as Mad Jew said, you have to boot off a system CD/DVD.

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
Okay, boot from the OSX discs and use the bundled version of Disk utility to verify and maybe repair the drive. More information can be found here. I still think the battery problem is unrelated. Make sure everything is backed up. :)

Disk Verified... though ever since i did it, less heat and the battery really last's an hour??? wierd, the heat was making the battery drain faster

MY05GLI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island
Did you repair it too? Did it come back with any errors? It makes sense that the heat issues and battery longevity would be related.

no repair... its said everything was ok... so i loaded up os-x to see what would happen, figured i could always go back and click repair if needed...

When it loaded, heat was undercontrol? battery lasted longer.... now seeing (1:30) :confused:but happy :apple:FTW "for having healing like powers"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.