Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey Everyone --

I woke up this morning to find a 3/4 in *semi* deep scratch on my iPad screen. (I think it was caused by one of my nephews) This kind of upsets me, mostly because my smartcover just came today to protect it. It's deff. noticeable so I don't want to just "deal with it and enjoy my iPad. I basically have 3 options...

#1. Replace the screen for ~$55 on eBay
#2. Get a screen protector (from BestSkinsEver) for ~$15
#3. Goto the Apple Store and hope to god they pity me and my sob story.
#4. Try one of those "scratch filler" kits I've seen on Amazon (I've never tried one..)

Or...if someone else has a suggestion I would appreciate it. What do you guys think is the best course of action? :apple:

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
realize that if you personally replace the screen then you will be voiding you warranty with Apple.

you could try your luck at an Apple store but there are no guarantees they will help you. just be honest and see what happens.

scorpionfalcon

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
You would probably be better off dropping the iPad and shattering the glass. At least Apple has been shown to replace cracks from dropping. I'm not too sure about a single scratch...

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Good luck--Apple gave me an iPad that came with a scratch. I didn't notice it until I got home, and now they won't do anything about it.

I got a back cover that's compatible with the smart cover, and put a screen protector on the front. Since my back cover is a snap on, it allows the screen protector to go on without bubbling up at the edges. With the screen protector on, the scratch is invisible, and the smart cover with the clear back cover looks pretty sexy.

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
Go to the Apple Store would be my suggestion. If they hear your story and don't give you a new one than fine, but if they accept your story they might just give you a new iPad! It's worth a try, but then again I don't know how far away the nearest one is to you.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I just bough a new car and the very day I bought it my wife scraped the side on a mailbox. Damn car salesman wouldn't replace it with a new car. The NERVE to think they aren't responsible for our accident!

Spend the 55 bucks and fix it, and keep it the hell away from the nephews. They can get their own.

cactus33

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
I just bough a new car and the very day I bought it my wife scraped the side on a mailbox. Damn car salesman wouldn't replace it with a new car. The NERVE to think they aren't responsible for our accident!

Spend the 55 bucks and fix it, and keep it the hell away from the nephews. They can get their own.

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

Something like this actually happened at the car dealer I worked at.A woman ripped her mirror off on a mailbox and demanded that it be replaced because the car had a "bumper to bumper warranty".Really made a scene.Quite disgusting,and it didn't work.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Have you got any light bleeding problem? In this case you could exchange a refubushied iPad :) This might not be the right things to do but this can solve your problem without any charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.