Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
just bought Thor on Dvd its protection has it at the 99 titles i have used handbrake and got ironman 2 to come out fine. thor thou has the 99 titles but when i look for the vob file then chose my title to get it rip it keeps saying no valid source i have even tried on my macbook thinking its my mac minis dvd having issues but it does the same thing. so anyone figure this just shoot me a pm or something. as i want this on my itunes

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
since you own this, and i have no idea.. isn't it legal to just download it ?

i doubt it.. but..

personally i use clonedvd, but thats on windows only i think.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had the same problem with Star Trek and ended up just getting the iTunes HD version with the extras. I hate DVDs and usually take my movie off the DVD and throw the brand new DVD away when I am done. Now I am not filling up landfills with the iTunes version.

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
It's nice and simple...
DVD Player + Handbrake

• Put the disk into your computer and play with DVD player
• Go through the menus and start playing the film
• When the film is playing, use the controller to see what track is playing (it is normally counting how far into the film it is, click the timer to see the countdown to the end of the film, click again to see the track it's playing). Make a note of the track number.
• Go to Handbrake and select the DVD as the source
• Set the Title and the track number that DVD Player was playing

Job done... Personally, I think DVDs/Blue Rays should ALL have a digital download available and not just for a small window when the DVD has only just been released...

stormininco

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
not that simple

actual its not "nice and simple" using the title specific steps still don't work, I have a copy of thor as well and either way it comes up with "no valid source".

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Has anyone tried using ripit to rip the DVD image? I don't own the movie (don't really plan on it, either), but that's something else you can try. Otherwise, you'll probably want to post something in the handbrake forums to let the developers know about the issues; they're very quick to respond to concerns and might have a solution for you.

Also, I had a probably with the third Family Guy Star wars movie where it didn't mount as a proper DVD. It mounted as a program, with a shortcut to open the DVD in DVD player. If this is what Thor is doing, say so and I'll see if I can dig up the steps I used to make a DVD image of the movie for someone to try.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Same issue here, "No Valid Source Found".
I just checked out the Handbrake forums and no mention (yet).

You can always post a thread yourself, you know. All you need is an activity log to get some technical help. Possibly an ISBN would help, too.

This really goes to everyone that's wanting a solution to this problem :) I'd do it myself, but I don't have a copy of the movie to get an activity log from.

GVWR

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
State of Confusion
You can always post a thread yourself, you know. All you need is an activity log to get some technical help. Possibly an ISBN would help, too.

This really goes to everyone that's wanting a solution to this problem :) I'd do it myself, but I don't have a copy of the movie to get an activity log from.

I'm going to post there momentarily...

bfree4running

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
You can use the MacDVDRipper, or whatever it is called, to rip the DVD, and then use HandBrake to make the file into a more usable type and smaller size.

macMonkeyMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
got it to work on a pc

Couldn't figure this out on my mac... got the same error everyone else has talked about, however on my pc I used DVD43 version 4.6 to decode and handbrake version 0.9.5 (2011010300) to successfully rip the movie. The movie is on Title 24

first time i scanned the title it didn't return correctly to the handbrake gui, however after a restart of the gui, it worked correctly. Successfully completed the rip, movie looks good.

hope this helps...

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
MacDVDRipper Pro works for me.

Rip Main Movie Only

Track 24

Then encoded for "Universal" in HandBrake.:D

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
Now that is weird when i went to by title i put in 10 as my dvd player was showing that as the correct one on my mac mini

osiodmak

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
MacDVDRipperPro Works

Try Mac Dvd Ripper and set it to rip only the main movie.

http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/

It has a free trial, I don't own Thor so cannot comment if it will work or not.

Failing that try RipIt.

MacDVDRipperPro scanned the disk, prompted me for the type of Copy (full or movie only), asked for the track # (FYI #24), the destination and it began extracting the main movie track successfully. Once the movie was extracted, I was able to Rip/Convert it using Handbrake to create an M4V file that iTunes could play.

The trial version allows you to test the product 5 times. It is on sale now for $19.99 (same price as HD Movie download)

Thanks for the recommendation MrHyde85!

gauspad216

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
Solution

- Download & install HandBrake, Fairmount & VLC
- Mount Thor DVD in Fairmount
- Copy Thor VIDEO_TS to desktop
***This may take a while. I set it before I went to bed last night around 12:00AM. It said it would take about 3 days. When I woke up this morining 5:00AM it was done. Said there were over 1,100 bad sectors.
- Open the VIDEO_TS folder as your source in Handbrake and rip away
- I think the correct track was 24 for my disc but I'd double check in DVDplayer
- Played the m4v on my 55" sony via appletv this morning 8:00AM. Looks great!

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Try MakeMKV on the main movie, then add to HB.

This has worked for me in the past. I use MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays, but DVDs I usually just encode directly from the disk using Handbrake.

I cannot remember which movie it was, but one of my DVDs was being very stubborn. Eventually I tried ripping it with MakeMKV, and the resultant file coded beautifully in Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.