Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hi,

So, I have a slew of VHS tapes that I want to either convert to DVD or just to digital files to store on a hard drive.

I have a DVD/VCR player which can record both ways (because so many people want to make VHS copies of their DVDs...). So, the simplest option would appear to be to buy about 250-300 blank DVDs and sleeves and just burn the tapes. This was my original plan several years ago when I bought the player/recorder.

However, in the years that have passed, it's starting to seem like it would make more sense and be more cost effective and take up less space to just make digital video files of the tapes and store them all on a couple of hard drives. Is there freeware which would allow me to capture the VHS video to avi or mp4? I have no need to edit any of the VHS tapes, but I do have Final Cut Pro HD and an old version of AVID and iMovie.

Would the HDMI ports on my monitor and the player/recorder even allow me to send the VHS feed into my computer? Or, if I were to try to capture straight to a digital video file, would I need to route everything through my tv?

If it matters, I've got a G5 PPC Dual Core running 10.4.11 and a MacBook running 10.5.8.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback on this from you.

Thanks!

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Softwarewise you do ok, but you need a device that enables you to capture analog to digital. That could either be a (H)DV camera with video dubbing feature or the Canopus ADVC110.
Caveat: You can't copy copy-protected VHS! It works, but it looks weird.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Softwarewise you do ok, but you need a device that enables you to capture analog to digital. That could either be a (H)DV camera with video dubbing feature or the Canopus ADVC110.
Caveat: You can't copy copy-protected VHS! It works, but it looks weird.

Are my software options only using the editing programs I mentioned?

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I ran into that last night with an actually terrible movie that there's little sense in converting anyway meanwhile all the good movies I've converted to DVD so far have copied without problem. It was Straight Talk, the Dolly Parton masterpiece! She's a savvy businesswoman.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.