Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Is anyone else having a problem moving newstand into a folder?

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Seeing as NewStand is sort of a folder itself, and you've never been able to stack folders within one another. This is what I feared.

I don't think you can. But you should be able to remove it through the settings app, by setting up a restriction on. I remember doing that with the YouTube app before. I hope that works.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Seeing as NewStand is sort of a folder itself, and you've never been able to stack folders within one another. This is what I feared.

I don't think you can. But you should be able to remove it through the settings app, by setting up a restriction on. I remember doing that with the YouTube app before. I hope that works.

You are correct that you cannot stick newsstand into a folder.

I just checked my restrictions settings and I don't see a way to hide it either. Sorry.

fjrabon

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
I hope they eventually fix this, but I could see it taking a while and being pretty low on the priority list. Like others have said, I think it's because they set it up as just a sort of prettified 'auto-folder', so it follows the normal rules for a folder, not an app.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Why can't anyone get it?

Newsstand IS a folder. When have Apple ever let us create folders inside folders? Exactly, never!

Get over it.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Why can't anyone get it?

Newsstand IS a folder. When have Apple ever let us create folders inside folders? Exactly, never!

Get over it.

Is Newsstand any more a folder than iBooks? Maybe I should ask that the other way. Is iBooks any less a folder than Newsstand? Honestly, I haven't really used Newsstand so I don't know how it works but I assume they are similar.

Edit: After playing with it for a bit, I now see the difference. I'm curious why Apple did it this way. I like the iBooks methods better.

Last edited:

dpetree

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Florida
yea, he is right.

newsstand is like a main app that they will not let you put in a folder. The reason why is, when you click on it, the folder expands so you can see your mag's. if it was in a folder, you couldn't do that. So, you can't put it in a folder

gyang333

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Newsstand

Anyone find a way to remove Newsstand? I have no intentions of using it and I can't even move it into a folder! Make it like iBooks, which is removable. This worse than bloatware you get when buying PC, at least you can remove all of that stuff.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Nope, there's nothing you can do! :(

Edit: At first I didn't believe that it wouldn't go into a folder, but wow, you're right!

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Is Newsstand any more a folder than iBooks? Maybe I should ask that the other way. Is iBooks any less a folder than Newsstand? Honestly, I haven't really used Newsstand so I don't know how it works but I assume they are similar.

Edit: After playing with it for a bit, I now see the difference. I'm curious why Apple did it this way. I like the iBooks methods better.

I agree and now its annoying...

LOVE it all but that is an eyesore on my screen.

Im a minimalist and my home screen is my only screen and it is condensed and neat...

but again ill live as this update is amazing..

Superman80

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
London
Why can't Newsstand be hidden in a folder?

Hi all,

As above really, I have no interest in using this app but I am unable to delete it or move it into a folder, any way around it?

Cheers

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I agree. I just want to hide it. I finally moved it to a blank page. Maybe they will do something about but I doubt it.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
There were some conversations earlier in the day about this as well.

General consensus is that "it is a folder". With that said, it is still lame and probably the most complained about part of iOS other than the download issues right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.