Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bldmn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Somewhere a guy named Steve is rolling over. This has got to be the biggest mess of an update in the history of Apple. Sad, really.

And really no one to ask for solutions. Between the new IOS, iCloud, and whatever mess has happened with my Apple ID, I now seem to have an iPod that can't sync to anything. I've managed to get my apps showing again, but none of my contacts or calendars will sync with iCloud. I tried to get Mail working, but it tells me I need a .mac address. I DO have one. When I enter it, it tells me that it's already taken. Yeah, BY ME!!!!!

And as I say, nowhere to turn for help. I curse that I "upgraded" today. WHEN WILL I LEARN?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Somewhere a guy named Steve is rolling over. This has got to be the biggest mess of an update in the history of Apple. Sad, really.

And really no one to ask for solutions. Between the new IOS, iCloud, and whatever mess has happened with my Apple ID, I now seem to have an iPod that can't sync to anything. I've managed to get my apps showing again, but none of my contacts or calendars will sync with iCloud. I tried to get Mail working, but it tells me I need a .mac address. I DO have one. When I enter it, it tells me that it's already taken. Yeah, BY ME!!!!!

And as I say, nowhere to turn for help. I curse that I "upgraded" today. WHEN WILL I LEARN?

Yikes. No issues here

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I had some minor issues but figured out how to resolve them on my own and am quite satisfied with the update.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Mine was going rough for a while, but now everything is updated and seems to be running fine. The only thing I'm noticing problems with is Safari on my MBP.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
total utter disaster?

there was a motorway pileup in bad weather this evening and 9 people were killed...that was a total utter disaster..

get a grip of reality and stop acting like every other spoilt brat on this sinking forum.

your issues are minor and will be fixed easily.

bldmn

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
total utter disaster?

there was a motorway pileup in bad weather this evening and 9 people were killed...that was a total utter disaster..

get a grip of reality and stop acting like every other spoilt brat on this sinking forum.

your issues are minor and will be fixed easily.

Dad, I told you to stop commenting on my posts! (What's a "sinking forum?")

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
I had no issues at all, in fact everything went so well I even won the Publishers Clearing House, well at least that is what the 475th letter I received in the mail today said.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
A few bumps here with my iPhone 4 too.... The update downloaded quickly enough and the update seemed to push to the phone fine..... but it locked up after the updating firmware message with the apple logo on the screen for 5 minutes. Finally hard booted it, and it came up ok, but failed to restore a couple times. Ended up having to do a hard reset in the phone, set up as a new phone, add my email accounts, sync up etc... and let everything 'install' for the first time (apps, ringtones).

All is well now, but for non-techie users this could be bad. Hopefully it goes well for most everyone else.

Hate to say it, but I'm reluctant to update my MobileMe account to iCloud. I have a .mac address so been with the service for a LONG time. Definitely worried.

Beyond all that, after the few bumps I had, the update is really nice.

Last edited:

macryan1

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Seems to be a busy server on Apple's side of things. That might be causing the most problems. Lots of 3004 errors. I had to do several attempts...now all is fine.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Having lots of issues here too. My iPad is working fine now, tackling my iPhone now. The servers seem to have finally unclenched a bit. I think I'm the proud new owner of about 4 new Apple IDs trying to get iCloud to work. I'm sure it will all get ironed out in the end, but I agree this isn't Apple's usual smooth style. I imagine there's more people on iOS devices now then ever before.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007

I've been loving the update overall, but I am having this particular issue with the MobileMe->iCloud upgrade. Has anybody moved over from Mobile Me without hitting this conflict?

Edit: Well, that was simple enough. Just deleted the iCloud account, which by default was using a non-me.com e-mail address (the one on my iTunes account), and re-added an iCloud account using it. Back to unreservedly loving iOS 5.

Last edited:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Unclear just how much of a personal disaster I've suffered. It may simply be wasting nine hours trying to do the update. (I'm now "restoring" the iPad after waiting for three hours for it to "update" the apps.) Or it may be worse.

But on a broader level, the next time someone tells me that Apple is ready to support the "enterprise," I'll point out how utterly unprepared they were for what what has turned into a complete fiasco.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
No, he's not, Xanderhoff.

I've spent 5 hours so far, and all I've gotten accomplished is updates to Lion on my Air and SL on my MBP. I got iOS 5 onto my iPad, but after restoring 3x, including a complete wipe, iTunes still thinks it's stuck on the restore from 3 hours ago.

So there's that to fix. And from what I've read, putting iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 will take 10 hours. And upgrading my MBP to Lion so that I can migrate MobileMe to iCloud will take an hour or two.

Then, finally, I'll be ready to do the iCloud migration. That should take 3 days straight.

OP, I'm right there with you. Absolutely INSANE disaster.

It doesn't have to be this way. When I upgraded my Air from SL to Lion last year, it was the most painless Major Change in 5 years. Under 1 hour tops, including download time and testing some 50 apps.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Just did 2 iphone 4's, two ipads, and a MBA with absolutely no problems whatsoever...yeah it's a disaster....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The fact that some people won the lottery and managed to update their devices does not detract from the fact that thousands if not millions have not.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I just can't resist... :D

Attachments

• 1362599_02bcdea730.jpeg
    1362599_02bcdea730.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 114

Captain America

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

Not to state the obvious or restate what's been stated, but have you tried restoring? Sometimes things just eff up like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.