Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yugushen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I backup all the app data in iCloud, so there is no reason to sync apps to Mac now. Unlike music, which I listen to on my Mac, iOS apps are useless on Mac. So I want to stop sync apps to iTunes, however I get this dialog after uncheck "Sync Apps" box:

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-13%20at%208.04.25%20PM.png

Basically all apps and data on my iPhone will be removed if I stop sync, then I need to re-download them on the device.

How can I avoid this? It's too much trouble.

bnorthro

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I don't have an answer, but I'm very interested in this as well. With my wife & I on MacBook Airs, HD space is a premium & it would be great to delete a few GB of useless iOS apps...

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
I'd like to know this too. Now that iCloud is active, I see no point why apps must be stored to iTunes library. For example, I have about 50 gigs of apps, and I can delete them from iTunes library, but whenever I want to update iDevice or do any kind of syncing, iDevice either wants to copy all apps to iTunes library or delete all apps from iDevice because they aren't in the iTunes library.

donny

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I'd love an answer to this too, so thought I'd bump it up.

Surely we only need iTunes to sync music and movies now. It makes no sense to have apps and books in iTunes as they don't do anything except take up space.

I've stopped syncing books and deleted them, because I only had a few and it was relatively painless. But I have around a hundred apps so doing the same would take ages.

So, does anyone know how to stop syncing apps and leave them on the device?

Don.

yugushen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Didn't know so many people have the same problem. Bump it up, and hope someone have an answer.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
In my experience, it seems that there's a switch that gets flipped whether you're "PC Free" or not.

I don't think there is an answer to your problem at this time, OP. It seems to be a start over type of deal when switching to/from a PC Free experience.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2011
I never understood why it wants to constantly delete the apps. What's on my phone is what I want on my phone!

defy69

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
i had this problem too. i think i was able to fix it by unchecking the Sync App box, then accepting the warning that says they will be deleted, then press the sync button, then immediately cancel the sync up at the top. the sync app box stays unchecked, itunes doesnt have time to delete your apps, and the next time you sync it wont even try delete your apps.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Don't know if this will help, but when you get ready to sync with iTunes (by cable, at least), go to the Apps tab and UNcheck the apps you don't want to be on your iDevice. From that point on, those UNchecked won't be added to your iDevice during a sync.

Actually, if you delete an app (press/hold > delete ) on the iDevice itself, it will become UNchecked in the apps list and not added back in the next sync... At least, that's what's supposed to happen. Occasionally, one of the UNchecked will reappear, so just delete it from the device or make sure it's UNchecked in iTunes.

This is an easy way to go around the total delete issue.

Edit: You can swipe the app listing (installed or not) in the App Store's list of "My Apps" and have the option to hide it.

Last edited:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
**SOLVED**

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for the answer to this question as well. Basically, with iCloud I only want to sync my iPhoto library with my iPhone via iTunes...nothing else.

I was racking my brain trying to solve this issue, and I believe I have found the solution.

On the Summary Tab in iTunes, select "Backup to this computer" and then perform a backup. Then go to the apps tab and deselect the Sync Apps check mark. When I did this, iTunes asked me if I wanted to keep my existing apps on my iPhone or delete them. I opted to keep them on my iPhone.

This does not delete your previous iCloud backups. Furthermore, a backup to the computer actually captures all your apps and their data in the event you'd like to restore from the computer backup sometime in the future.

**NOTE** This will turn off iCloud Backup on your device (IT DOES NOT DELETE iCLOUD BACKUPS). Simply finish the iPhone to iTunes sync via the computer. Disconnect your iPhone/iPad. On the iPhone, go to Settings > iCloud, and turn the backup to iCloud feature back on!

Once you've told iTunes not to sync the Apps, you should not have to worry about it anymore. However, any additional changes you make in the future will require the same steps above.

Hope this helps.

Cosmo

Last edited:

franparade

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
iTunes.. worst part of iphones?

so i sync both my brothers and my own iphones to my laptop and obviously we download different apps and such...
itunes will NOT stop syncing apps to both our phones and YES i made sure that "Automatically sync new apps" is unchecked
now this is a problem because everytime i sync either of our phones it will add 8 pages of apps, and a lot of these apps were deleted more than a few years ago
HELP ME.. im scared to sync my phone because itunes is so flawed..
or maybe im doing something stupid?

i know this is an old thread but i pray to sweet jesus that someone reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.