Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Anyone know how I can find out if someone mistakenly downloaded the flashback virus? does anyone know to check?

Also I noticed that you can update flash through Lion Settings is this how most people update or go to the site?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Just look here for OFFICIAL updates of Flash.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The MALWARE looks like this:
mac_flashback_malware.png

The REAL installer looks like this:
Screen%20shot%202011-10-14%20at%204.58.20%20PM.png
Screen%20shot%202011-10-14%20at%204.58.44%20PM.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Anyone know how I can find out if someone mistakenly downloaded the flashback virus? does anyone know to check?

Also I noticed that you can update flash through Lion Settings is this how most people update or go to the site?
Your system can't be infected simply by downloading anything. You have to actively install any malware that runs on Mac OS X. As long as you didn't install anything, especially if you're running Lion, you have nothing to worry about. Lion has built-in protection against known trojans, including the most recent.

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

Thanks

did you install Flash from a pop up or by going direct to the adobe site?

ezilagel

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Amazing... iisforiphone simply asked HOW do you know if you have it. Which is a valid question. Yes, you showed the OP over and over again what it looks like if you have the installer.

You asked the OP "did you install Flash from a pop up" and "Did you install something called "Flash" and it looked like that first window?".

So again, "Anyone know how I can find out if someone mistakenly downloaded the flashback virus?"

Here is a discussion answering your question. Fixes and Signs of the trojan.
Link Here

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Amazing... iisforiphone simply asked HOW do you know if you have it.
No, the OP asked that, and the question was answered. Read the thread.
So again, "Anyone know how I can find out if someone mistakenly downloaded the flashback virus?"
You can download all day long, but it can't infect your Mac unless you install it. If you didn't install it, you don't have it. If you're on SL or Lion, it would be automatically detected.

diegobgr

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
But this Trojan can infect both Lion and Snow Leopard?

Can infect you silently or you need to execute an installer like above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.