Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hey everyone.

Ive seen two rumors on this site saying that Apple was preparing a new Mac device for next year, possibly with touchscreen and recently another rumor saying that Apple has plans for a complete overhaul of some of its products for next year, including the next macbook air. So, I was thinking that the new mac device could probably be a slate, like an iPad but with Lion, since it has iOS features like the gestures, launchpad, etc.

Could it be possible that next years macbook air had a touchscreen and no keyboard or a dock keyboard? I think it would be a great innovation and I would definitely buy it.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
no its the same idea with the iMac. all other all in ones have touch based uis apple had the idea for the 27inch not to be a touch screen windows garbage but to be an elegant 27inch monitor with powerful processors as for mba i highly doubt it because that would make it thicker and substantiously worse battery life

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
unless it has changed, i think apple's position has been that they would not introduce touch screen to laptops and desktops because they sustain that using touchscreen in those devices is not comfortable for the user (one has to hold the hand in the air to interact with the machine).

hence why they produce the best touch pads in the industry instead.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
unless it has changed, i think apple's position has been that they would not introduce touch screen to laptops and desktops because they sustain that using touchscreen in those devices is not comfortable for the user (one has to hold the hand in the air to interact with the machine).

hence why they produce the best touch pads in the industry instead.

Exactly. Steve Jobs completely nixed the idea when he introduced Lion last year. I doubt things will change as long as Tim Cook and his crew are around (which should be quite a while if those incentive compensation plans are any indication).

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Phil Shiller said that users had discomfered when when they raised there arms for extended there arm like that for extended periods of time. Thus they use the touchpad..

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
He also completely nixed the idea of ebooks and many other things that they went on to release.....

Exactly. Steve Jobs completely nixed the idea when he introduced Lion last year. I doubt things will change as long as Tim Cook and his crew are around (which should be quite a while if those incentive compensation plans are any indication).

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
My Air already is an 11 inch iPad with a keyboard and a large touchpad.

If I wanted a touchscreen only device running iOS, I'd use my iPad (which I am using less and less).

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
The macbook air is not or will never be an ipad. They are two different devices both magical and the best investment in electronics I have ever made.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I dont see the point... I rather have an actual keyboard.
Not to mention the gestures on the trackpad are awesome!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
He also completely nixed the idea of ebooks and many other things that they went on to release.....

Apple doesn't produce e-books. Sure there are e-book applications for iPad and iPhones, but those are multi-purpose devices. Apple has yet to produce a sub-$500 "netbook," which was another idea Steve Jobs nixed.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I dont see the point... I rather have an actual keyboard.
Not to mention the gestures on the trackpad are awesome!

I wonder if there mightn't be some kind of convergence device at some point, that sort of marries a MBA, an iPad, and those cell phones that have slider keyboards. Most of the "transformer" laptops on the market are junky, but if Apple could make a really nice looking one, which could be used both by touch and by keyboard/trackpad, it would be a device that would fit along the trajectory of unifying iOS and MacOS over time.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
What would be the point in a tablet that can run lion. The only things i would use a tablet for would be things like the internet, reading, maybe watching videos, all things that my iPad does very well. A lion tablet would be such overkill. It just aint gonna happen.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Hey everyone.

Ive seen two rumors on this site saying that Apple was preparing a new Mac device for next year, possibly with touchscreen and recently another rumor saying that Apple has plans for a complete overhaul of some of its products for next year, including the next macbook air. So, I was thinking that the new mac device could probably be a slate, like an iPad but with Lion, since it has iOS features like the gestures, launchpad, etc.

Could it be possible that next years macbook air had a touchscreen and no keyboard or a dock keyboard? I think it would be a great innovation and I would definitely buy it.

Surely a macbook air without a keyboard/touchpad, and is touchscreen is just an iPad?

What a stupid idea.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Apple doesn't produce e-books? There is a bloody iBook store full of them!

I never said Apple made them but Steve made a public declaration that e-books sucked and would never take off -- now they have a store full and a special app for it!

Apple doesn't produce e-books. Sure there are e-book applications for iPad and iPhones, but those are multi-purpose devices. Apple has yet to produce a sub-$500 "netbook," which was another idea Steve Jobs nixed.

atljam

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
Don't knock it till you've tried it

I owned a Asus Transformer for a few months with the dock and you would not believe the amount of time I touched the screen to achieve many easy functions.
Got so use to it that I found my self making the mistake using other notebooks and attempting to touch the screen.

The reality is there is a market for lightweight total computing solutions. It does add to the cost but the fact is I would pay for it. Maybe there are not enough me's to warrant it...

If the ipad and the air could merge it would be a sweet deal.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Surely a macbook air without a keyboard/touchpad, and is touchscreen is just an iPad?

What a stupid idea.

If you consider iOS to be in ANY WAY similar to OSX...sure.

I have been hoping a MacPad would be introduced since they announced the iPad! Here's hoping it actually happens!!

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
god i hope they dont screw with mac air that badly. id have to buy an older model just to avoid the touchscreen. I have an ipad i dont want it on my air.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
One day Macbook Airs will have a seamless touch screen

No bezel, just a solid, durable touch screen

The keyboard will be waterproof and dustproof to avoid losing a 1500-2000 machine on a can of soda.

There will be no trackpad instead the whole surface will be a touchable pad with different gestures.

Might seem like the far distant future but I think we are about 2-3 yrs tops from this coming on the shelves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.