Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
hey guys,
i have OS 10.3 and i've been using it on my iBook for about a yr w/ few problems
lately, my computer has been crashing more often (it used to crash maybe once a month, now it's every 4 odd days that it needs a reboot) and i'm wondering what i can do to fix up my computer
i know how to repair permissions but that's it, is there any other things i can do to keep my OS running smoothly?
also would an upgrade to OS 10.4 help?

thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Unless it's a hardware related failure, I'm guessing a fresh install of either Panther or Tiger will fix it. I can't think why it'd keep crashing because that's very uncharacteristic. Maybe just back up all your files, wipe the hard drive, and start again. You'll probably notice a small speed bump too. :)

Of course the more knowledgeable members of MacRumors will probably be more helpful and recommend some sort of fix that isn't as much work so hopefully they'll help soon. Otherwise, a fresh install all the way.

Just out of interest, you can't narrow this down to a certain app can you? Is there something that you've installed recently that could possibly be crashing the Mac? And when you say 'crash', what do you mean exactly? Do you have to hold down the power button to restart it or is it simply an app quitting?

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i haven't installed anything new
the computer just crashes occasionally
at other times it will just get bogged down and take a min or 2 to respond, this happens in safari and ichat the most

mad jew said:
Unless it's a hardware related failure, I'm guessing a fresh install of either Panther or Tiger will fix it. I can't think why it'd keep crashing because that's very uncharacteristic. Maybe just back up all your files, wipe the hard drive, and start again. You'll probably notice a small speed bump too. :)

Of course the more knowledgeable members of MacRumors will probably be more helpful and recommend some sort of fix that isn't as much work so hopefully they'll help soon. Otherwise, a fresh install all the way.

Just out of interest, you can't narrow this down to a certain app can you? Is there something that you've installed recently that could possibly be crashing the Mac? And when you say 'crash', what do you mean exactly? Do you have to hold down the power button to restart it or is it simply an app quitting?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's weird. I've got a two year old iBook and it was just as fast as when I bought it up until I did a clean install of Tiger, and now it's a little faster. :)

By "crashes" do you mean a grey screen comes up with about twelve different languages telling you to restart?

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Well, as far as software goes, I highly recommend Cocktail. It has many cool features that perform a lot of maintanence tasks, but my favorite part is that it has a "pilot" that performs a handful of common tasks with one click that many people don't know about, like daily, weekly, and monthly cron scripts, premissions repair, clearing caches, updating prebinding, etc. I use it often, and love it.

Good luck with your issues...

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Just try Onyx, that won't fix all of your problems. Boot off the CD and repair the volume. Run fsck. - if all else, format and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.