Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ururk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I have a 13" MBP TouchBar, and ever since updating to the latest OS (10.12.3) it doesn't always display the icons. If I touch it they start to appear, sometimes fully, sometimes partially. I kind of doubt it is a hardware failure. Switching between applications will sometimes load a few of the elements/icons, such as swithcing to Safari - it will show the tabs, but nothing else.

Anyone else seeing something like this? I haven't looked at the system logs, but honestly, I can't imagine they'd be helpful.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I did have one incident earlier this week where upon resuming from standby, the "Unlock with TouchID" text was stretched out all the way across the black space on the right of the Touch Bar. Also that text doesn't appear 100% of the time upon resuming from standby, despite the computer needing to be unlocked.

snowleopard13

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Austria
Same here - i switched the functionality to always display the "old/standard" layout with esc, brightness, expose etc. from the left. I take the laptop to sleep overnight. The touch bar does not work properly 80% of the time. It just doesn't show any keys or just one or two, unless i "guess" and press it. I would have to press every single key to make them show up again or reboot the laptop. I want my physical keys back... :(

tl,dr: THE TOUCHBAR IS USELESS AND SUCKS.

ururk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Same here - i switched the functionality to always display the "old/standard" layout with esc, brightness, expose etc. from the left. I take the laptop to sleep overnight. The touch bar does not work properly 80% of the time. It just doesn't show any keys or just one or two, unless i "guess" and press it. I would have to press every single key to make them show up again or reboot the laptop. I want my physical keys back... :(
Did this start with the latest OS update? Or has it always been that way? I really like it - when it is working it is great.

The behavior you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing.

snowleopard13

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Austria
Did this start with the latest OS update? Or has it always been that way? I really like it - when it is working it is great.

The behavior you describe is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I am not entirely sure, but i think it was behaving odd before the update too.
We can't be the only ones having those issues, right? Do you also have the option turned on to view the "standard" keys all the time?

samcow

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
Ha I came here to ask if this was common. I'd say the 80% of the time it doesn't work is accurate. My touch bar will generally be blank, and the normal behavior I guess is that if you touch the laptop (e.g., keys, mouse) the touch bar springs back to life. Mine almost never does, and I have to touch the touch bar for icons to appear. Generally I have to touch each icon before it shows. For instance, now I just sort of run my finger along the length of the touch bar so that all the icons will appear

Honestly, it's borderline embarrassing for Apple that they haven't hammered out the mere DISPLAYING of the touch bar. I'm going to stop by the Apple store on the walk back from work and see what the deal is

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I'm glad I bought the non-TB version. I might upgrade when Kaby Lake gets released and hope they fix the TB.

ururk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Ha I came here to ask if this was common. I'd say the 80% of the time it doesn't work is accurate. My touch bar will generally be blank, and the normal behavior I guess is that if you touch the laptop (e.g., keys, mouse) the touch bar springs back to life. Mine almost never does, and I have to touch the touch bar for icons to appear. Generally I have to touch each icon before it shows. For instance, now I just sort of run my finger along the length of the touch bar so that all the icons will appear

Honestly, it's borderline embarrassing for Apple that they haven't hammered out the mere DISPLAYING of the touch bar. I'm going to stop by the Apple store on the walk back from work and see what the deal is
Please let us know what you find out. I first noticed it when my TouchID text/arrow stopped displaying - but TouchID still worked. Eventually I realized the graphics weren't showing. Sometimes it shows up fully, sometimes just the arrow, and most of the time nothing.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
On my 13" Touch Bar, doing things like emoji in Messages causes it to blank out sometimes. Other times FaceTime neglects to show the "end call" and who you're connected to. . . and then to top it off, if you take a screen shot of the touch bar, they don't display on there either. I guess that's a good thing, right? I mean if the screenshot doesn't show it, it's most likely software, right?

Apple has had me reset the SMC, and a couple other things. I've also wiped the machine and re-installed via recovery mode. No joy. I'm guessing at some point we'll see a fix. I should note that the newest beta does NOT correct these issues.

At least Apple fixed the issue with dragging items out of folders from the dock, so I'm batting .500.

Edit: I should also note that there are times where I get visual artifacts on the right side of said bar where volume, brightness, and siri should be.

o JRoD o

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Wisconsin
Literally came here to see if others were having the same issue as me. Just the right side of the touch bar is my main headache. Naturally the "keys" I use the most are there. Brightness, Volume, Sleep, and Spotlight are what I've configured it for. Really hoping there is a fix for this soon. I've had to go with knowing which keys these shortcuts are above to memorize them. Otherwise I was putting my Mac to sleep or pulling up Spotlight when all I wanted to do was adjust the volume or brightness.

Did you all go with the $1799 model? A co-worker has the $1999 model and hasn't had the issue.

P.S. I realize this is a month old now, but assuming others are still having the issue. I just picked up my MB on Monday. It is on the latest OS (10.12.3).
[doublepost=1489172679][/doublepost]After more searching I'm seeing it across lots of different models. So hopefully Apple will provide a fix soon. Hitting the "fn" key does help for now.

samcow

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015
Just to add, the newest MacOS update appears to have fixed all touch bar issues I was having

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.