Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cat&mouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Los Angeles
I have a PPC G5, so cannot move to iCloud, correct? And how will this affect my .mac account? Will I be able to keep it? Are there other ramifications of this transition? What are my options, apart from upgrading my hardware?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
http://www.icloud.com

That's what I'm struggling by with now. The website doesn't run smoothly on PPC, so it's a dog, but it allows me access to my calendar and reminders.

I know there has been a workaround for Snow Leopard users to access their iCloud calendar natively in the OS in iCal, but not for Leopard users.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
You have the option to use free services like google one...
I moved to icloud because all the hype, forgot about the powermac and that Lion could suck...
So now I moved contacts and calendar to google.

cat&mouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Los Angeles
You have the option to use free services like google one...
I moved to icloud because all the hype, forgot about the powermac and that Lion could suck...
So now I moved contacts and calendar to google.

Thanks for this... so it sounds like I will no longer be able to use my .mac account for email or anything else.

A couple of days ago I bought an app from the app store only to find out that I couldn't download it onto my iPod Touch because I didn't have the latest iOS. And I couldn't upgrade because I couldn't upgrade iTunes, because I couldn't upgrade my OS. So this raises another question, which is: without iCloud, will I not be able to sync any devices any more?

Or am I left in No Man's Land waiting to get rained on by the Cloud?

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Thanks for this... so it sounds like I will no longer be able to use my .mac account for email or anything else.

A couple of days ago I bought an app from the app store only to find out that I couldn't download it onto my iPod Touch because I didn't have the latest iOS. And I couldn't upgrade because I couldn't upgrade iTunes, because I couldn't upgrade my OS. So this raises another question, which is: without iCloud, will I not be able to sync any devices any more?

Or am I left in No Man's Land waiting to get rained on by the Cloud?

Humm, you can, at least via browser...mobileme will last till 30 June 2012 , then it will be upgraded to iCloud.
Till then you have time to find a solution...
MobileMe Mail => lots of free solutions, Gmail Included.Or You can try configuring it manually, like the the hack for contacts and calendars.

Contacts => You can try the hack for snow leopard, maybe it will work on leopard.I think what the hack does is just giving you the "manual" configs, so maybe it will be OS indeppendent.Or use google contacts or another.

Calendar => Try to configure it manually, although I guess this can be more complicated.You have google calendar.

iDisk => you have dropbox and others, and you have this program.

Gallery => you can use,flickr or picasa.

About your iOs devices, if you have leopard I guess you can update it (I'm not into it), from what I know only tiger is left with outdated itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.