Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I have an early 2011 15in MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM and I was noticing recently that it would be great to upgrade to more memory because I have been running low recently. I did some research and found that this actually doesn't void your warranty since Apple provides do it yourself instructions. However, they say that the maximum that is supported in this model is 8GB. Is this actually true, or can I put in 16GB and that will work?

Also, is crucial brand memory good? I found some on Amazon for cheap and I have seen it elsewhere so I was just wondering if it is reliable. I was also wondering the same thing about their SSDs since I might upgrade to one of those at the same time that I upgrade my memory.

Thanks!!

PS: Also, if you know of any other brands of memory/SSD that you think are good, be sure to mention them. I'm just trying to find the best one, don't necessarily want to go with crucial i just found it and it was cheap.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The official maximum is 8 GB, the working maximum is 16 GB.

Yes, Crucial is good.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
16GB works fine on most (there is a technical list of working and not working that I'm sure someone will post soon) but keep in mind that 16GB of laptop RAM is ridiculously expensive for what it is, at least at this point, so unless you absolutely need it, it makes more sense to go with 8GB for now.

Nov 28, 2010
located
16GB works fine on most (there is a technical list of working and not working that I'm sure someone will post soon) but keep in mind that 16GB of laptop RAM is ridiculously expensive for what it is, at least at this point, so unless you absolutely need it, it makes more sense to go with 8GB for now.

16 GB is not that expensive anymore. Currently it can be had for less than 200 USD via Newegg.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I purchased the Crucial RAM you are referring to on Amazon and it went in without a hitch and has worked great. Well worth the $37ish it cost me.

monkeymajik

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
I have mid 2009 Macbook Pro, and i want to change my 4GB DDR3 PC-8500 to 8GB DDR3 PC-10600. Since 8GB DDR3 PC-8500 is more expensive than PC 10600.

Is that possible? Did MBP will downgrade the speed to PC8500?

Any help would be appreciate.

Many thanks.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Ram causing crash

I just added 8 GB ram to my Early 2009 MBP and it kept on crashing until I finally changed out the ram. Anyone have any info on this? I heard it was a sort of common issue with these laptops until they supposedly updated and fixed it, but I'm all up to date and I still have this issue! GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

monkeymajik if the motherboard can't support it then it just downgrades, thats my understanding.

monkeymajik

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
I just added 8 GB ram to my Early 2009 MBP and it kept on crashing until I finally changed out the ram. Anyone have any info on this? I heard it was a sort of common issue with these laptops until they supposedly updated and fixed it, but I'm all up to date and I still have this issue! GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Maybe you have the same problem like this : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2726425

MBP mid 2010 couldn't downgrade.

monkeymajik if the motherboard can't support it then it just downgrades, thats my understanding.

thanks for the info. Then maybe it's okay to add?

ghostworld

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my early 2011 13" macbook pro to 8gb of ram myself. Just trying to find a good price in Canada. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.