Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjamin.willie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B8NaPPgbbDQ

"Is your smartphone faster than a Windows Phone? Find Ben The PC Guy at the show and if you beat us, you get $100. If you lose, you can swap your slow phone for a Windows Phone."

i want to see the results, i bet that they will lose some of those $100 bills and so what if it is just faster than other smart phones? if you don't have the apps, devs, or whatever the people want... you just don't have the market.
nice ploy, but remember that nintendo's wii is far below speed and hardware for this generation of console gaming when compared to the PS3 and xbox 360 and is keeping neck and neck with sales. so with that being said, it really doesn't mater as much about speed and even price.... it is about what people want. just my opinion.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks but no Thanks Microsoft. Stay happy with your desktop monopoly and stop being so greedy about screwing up another market with your money and desperation.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks but no Thanks Microsoft. Stay happy with your desktop monopoly and stop being so greedy about screwing up another market with your money and desperation.

You know... it's getting harder and harder to say that.

I mean on the one hand you're saying that you don't like a company because they have a monopoly in a desktop software market. On the other hand you're buying a phone from a company that would love to have a monopoly of software and hardware in the smartphone market... and takes a cut from just about everything that happens on the device. I'm just saying... That particular argument gets thinner and thinner everyday.

If you don't like MS or Windows phones, there are plenty of reasons, if nothing beyond simple preference. However, the same, old, tired cliches are well... the same, old, tired cliches...

Just a thought.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
You know... it's getting harder and harder to say that.

I mean on the one hand you're saying that you don't like a company because they have a monopoly in a desktop software market. On the other hand you're buying a phone from a company that would love to have a monopoly of software and hardware in the smartphone market... and takes a cut from just about everything that happens on the device. I'm just saying... That particular argument gets thinner and thinner everyday.

Sorry for the scathing remark but Microsoft sounds very desperate and when they try that hard they use all crappy tricks in the book to destroy competitors instead of just innovating and staying ahead. History is proof.

Secondly having another competitor is fine but if that competitor is Microsoft world is much better off not having one - just look at the shady Nokia deal or all the patent related money extortion and associated shady deals to understand the extent of where they can go.

FWIW - I don't at all like Windows phone and although I like the iPhone, Android works better for me and as a bonus it lets me not aid Apple in their evil plans of total control.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Sorry for the scathing remark but Microsoft sounds very desperate and when they try that hard they use all crappy tricks in the book to destroy competitors instead of just innovating and staying ahead. History is proof.

Secondly having another competitor is fine but if that competitor is Microsoft world is much better off not having one - just look at the shady Nokia deal or all the patent related money extortion and associated shady deals to understand the extent of where they can go.

FWIW - I don't at all like Windows phone and although I like the iPhone, Android works better for me and as a bonus it lets me not aid Apple in their evil plans of total control.

Evil plans of total control? Wow! Just wow!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If I ever moved from iOS, I'd buy a Windows Phone long before I even considered an Android device.

The Metro UI is really quite nice.

The chances of me moving from iOS are, however, extremely remote given my investment in apps, etc.

Last edited:

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Evil plans of total control? Wow! Just wow!

Haha but there's no shorter / better way to put it. I am not a fanboy to term it 'end to end user experience with ponies for your own good, mr. consumer' lol!

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
the 4s did tweet a picture faster;)

it seems a little unfair that 'the windoze guy' gets to always choose the race.

i wish i could say, alright buy a book and start reading it on your phone.
:D

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
the 4s did tweet a picture faster;)

it seems a little unfair that 'the windoze guy' gets to always choose the race.

i wish i could say, alright buy a book and start reading it on your phone.
:D
It's his challenge... the players didn't have to accept it. ;)

As for the book remark, simple... he would simply fire up the Amazon Kindle app and buy/download a book.
And unlike on the iPhone, he could make the purchase from within the app.
Microsoft doesn't require a cut from it's developers for in app purchases. ;)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

"Is your smartphone faster than a Windows Phone? Find Ben The PC Guy at the show and if you beat us, you get $100. If you lose, you can swap your slow phone for a Windows Phone."

i want to see the results, i bet that they will lose some of those $100 bills and so what if it is just faster than other smart phones? if you don't have the apps, devs, or whatever the people want... you just don't have the market.
nice ploy, but remember that nintendo's wii is far below speed and hardware for this generation of console gaming when compared to the PS3 and xbox 360 and is keeping neck and neck with sales. so with that being said, it really doesn't mater as much about speed and even price.... it is about what people want. just my opinion.

Swap? Why not give us the Windows phone for free AND let us keep our phone? No way am I going to give my "slow" phone to MSFT.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Swap? Why not give us the Windows phone for free AND let us keep our phone? No way am I going to give my "slow" phone to MSFT.

Not that it matters. Verizon is in a lovefest with droid, and likely will not get any better WP7 device than the old HTC Trophy for a long while.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Hmm.. honestly, I would take the challenge just SO I can swap for a new phone lol.

Think about it, who really keeps their old phones anymore and if you do, how many times are you going to use it anymore?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Hmm.. honestly, I would take the challenge just SO I can swap for a new phone lol.

Think about it, who really keeps their old phones anymore and if you do, how many times are you going to use it anymore?

Well I was referring to an iPhone 4 (it's the only one I have now since I have already sold all my earlier ones).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
cool idea, implementation of the contest so so & I have some old smartphones like a Blackjack & BBs; I could trade up and keep my 4S :D :cool:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Just going to point out that of the major apps Windows Phone has it or one like it.

It boils down to after a certain point all you have is more crap in the respective app store.

Apple App store being nice I would say there is 1% good apps and 99% crap apps and that is being nice. Chances are it even less than that. You cross a point the more apps you get the more crap you get compared to the the good.

As for developing hate to break this to you but it is a hell of a lot easier to write software for Window Phone than it is for the other platforms. MS quite simple just provides a hell of a lot better tools and of the SDKs I find that MS's is the best and tends to work better than the others.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Excellent marketing idea to be honest. It isn't often I say that about Microsoft, their adverts and marketing are usually rather cringeworthy. WP7 looks amazing as well. It will be interesting to see how things work out with competition being so tight.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Excellent marketing idea to be honest. It isn't often I say that about Microsoft, their adverts and marketing are usually rather cringeworthy. WP7 looks amazing as well. It will be interesting to see how things work out with competition being so tight.

It went 33 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie I think

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012

Agreed. I definitely enjoyed watching some of the competitions on youtube. I think Microsoft actually went right this time around. I'm having a hard choice deciding between iOS, Android, and WP7 now, although the live tiles make me think that it drains battery quicker because it's constantly checking for new updates.

It went 33 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie I think

And the iPhone 4S twitter one allegedly doesn't even count because someone claimed that the 4S uploads the picture in the background, so even though it said "Done", it wasn't actually done. Would have to fact-check that, of course. But that's a really good record.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.