Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Some if you can't play most of your music in the Music.app. This is because you had preexisting music on the iPhone 4S/iPad 2 when you ran Absinthe. The way Absinthe works is that it creates backups (that's why it takes so long if you have a lot of data). In the process of creating these backups, it deletes most, if not all, of your music in the iTunes_Control folder. Most who report this issue had iTunes Match on prior to jailbreaking.

Here's the solution: Turn off iTunes Match on your iDevice AND iTunes on your computer. Now open Music.app and manually delete EVERY song by swiping to the right and pressing the red delete. It might be faster if you deleted Artists or Albums instead of individual songs. You now have a choice. 1) With iTunes Match still off on both devices, sync the music on your computer with your iDevice just like before you had iTunes Match. Or the slower way, 2) just turn on iTunes Match now on the iDevice and computer and manually download every song on your iDevice from the cloud.

Now all your music will work because there's not just a cached version of it on your iDevice, but an actual file.

---------

The purpose of this guide: if you want to keep your jailbroken device's settings and transfer everything untouched to your updated firmware iDevice or an upgraded iDevice. This works for all iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad.

From this point on, I will refer to the non-updated/old device as "old" and updated/new device as "new"

1. If you are jailbroken and want to keep ALL jailbroken apps and their settings, open PKGBackup (you can save to AddressBook or Dropbox but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DROPBOX) and select everything you want to backup. I do not recommend backing up content in AppStore Apps. But you absolutely want Installed packages, Preference files (those are where the jailbreak data settings are saved), and all the User Sources. Turn off iTunes Match.

2. Plug in the old and right click the device on the left in iTunes and Transfer Purchases. When it's done, Sync and Back Up.

IMPORTANT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO ACCIDENTALLY LOSE YOUR DATA

You may need to show hidden files and folders. To do this in Windows, press Alt to show the toolbar (you may not need to do this in some cases), hit Tools, Folder Options, View tab, Check the box to show all hidden files and folders. To see Library on OS X, in Finder, hit Go then press Option.

If you have a Mac, go to

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Two-finger click your backup (if you have many devices, check the correct UDID. If you do not know what you UDID is, click on the serial number in Info in iTunes) and COPY it. Now paste the file to the desktop so now you have two copies of your backup.

If you have a PC, go to

YourComputerName/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup

Right-finger click your backup (if you have many devices, check the correct UDID. If you do not know what you UDID is, click on the serial number in Info in iTunes) and COPY it. Now paste the file to the desktop so now you have two copies of your backup.

END IMPORTANT PROCEDURE

If you are updating firmware to jailbreak the same device and not using another device, restore to the firmware you want to jailbreak (5.0.1). If you are using a new device, just have it on 5.0.1 or 5.0 if you're using iPhone 4S and want to have the ability to unlock later. Go to the Welcome screen on the device (don't send diagnostic details to Apple), do NOT restore from backup or anything just yet. Just jailbreak your device with the tool (Absinthe).

When it's done, go into Cydia and install PKGBackup. Open PKGBackup and View Restore and restore all packages and ALL PREFERENCE FILES. It may show a fraction that isn't equal to 1 (like 45/67 or 78/90 is not equal to 1; 67/67 or 90/90 is equal to 1) so hit the button in the top right to select All preference files. Now restore everything. Reboot when it prompts you to.

Now you are ready to Restore from Backup in iTunes. This will put all your app data, text messges, system settings like Mail accounts, brightness settings, Camera roll, and icon layout like it was before after when we finish. After you restore from backup and sync all apps to your device, you may see apps out of place and messy layout. If this is the case, Restore from backup AGAIN. That should fix your icons to the way it was before.

If you see any errors in grammar or procedure, please let me know so I can edit it. I hope this aids you in your future jailbreaking quests. This is a procedure I have used for MANY devices over a long period of time so I can have absolutely the SAME settings and layout and data on my old device as my new. But now I am making my method public so you can have a flawless new jailbreak experience.

Last edited:

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Just making sure people see this before they go through with today's jailbreak. Not looking for replies/praise.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I used this procedure today going from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 on an iPad 2. it worked almost flawlessly.

My tweak for slingplayer did not survive the backup, but other than that perfect. All of my settings and preferences were transferred.

Procedure in a nutshell:

-Make a PkgBackup to Dropbox
-Make an iTunes backup
-Update to 5.0.1 if applicable
-Jailbreak
-Install PkgBackup and restore your backup from Dropbox
-Restore iTunes backup

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I didnt lose any of my music from my ipad 2.
Maybe its cos i did the jailbreak on my mac but do all my syncs, backups from my pc :confused:

Jase Winter

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
I fixed my music problem by simply restoring in iTunes, setting up as a new phone, run jailbreak then restored my backup. Job done.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I didnt lose any of my music from my ipad 2.
Maybe its cos i did the jailbreak on my mac but do all my syncs, backups from my pc :confused:

Just curious, did you have iTunes Match turned on on your device?

I fixed my music problem by simply restoring in iTunes, setting up as a new phone, run jailbreak then restored my backup. Job done.

Of course this will work, it's a longer version of my method. Instead of just deleting the cached songs and their footprint then putting the music back on, you're deleting the entire phone then putting the music back on. Much less efficient.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
hmmm...your solution doesn't work. Just un-sync and re-sync the songs in iTunes. Takes 2 minutes. Worked for me.

Last edited:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
This worked for me but when I bring up the multitasking bar and slide over to the volume and brightness page, the music app is a blank icon. For other audio apps it displays the normal icon but the music app is blank.

Anyone else have this?

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
My music works fine. I also had music while jailbreaking. This did however happen when I synced from a 4 to a 4S. When I restored from backup. All I did was delete all my music from the iPhone and resynced. I'm guessing that's the main issue here.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
My music app is working VERY slowly when I try to change the song, and often freezes up every function on my iPhone. Will this fix that too?

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
hmmm...your solution doesn't work. Just un-sync and re-sync the songs in iTunes. Takes 2 minutes. Worked for me.

Just because your solution works doesn't mean this doesn't work. You ever think there are two paths to a destination? Of course not, you brilliant Internet troll.

TrulyYuki

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
Washington
awesome. I was playing my iphone in the car on my way to work and noticed even though the ipod said it was playing nothing was coming from my speakers and the progress bar wasn't moving. LAME. Jumped onto macrumors the moment I got situated at work and BAM... Solution. I'll give it a try. Think there might be an update fix in cydia or something for this instead? I'm a user, not too savvy with the tweaking.

I try to be my best.

deathturtle

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Problem while deleting individual cached songs

I had this issue with the music.app after running the absinthe jailbreak as well, but while I was deleting the individual cached songs the alphabet bar to the right, as well as the individual letters separating the songs both disappeared. Songs still play fine on it now, however, after several full restores and backups I am still missing the letter bar to the right as well as the letters separating each into its respective "category". My iPhone music list looks more like an old fashioned ipod with everything as one long list as opposed to the more updated (how it should) look. any ideas on the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.