Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past couple of months, several photos of displays claimed to be for the iPad 3 have surfaced from various sources. Such parts leaks are typical with the device's expected debut early next month. While reports have claimed that these displays are high-resolution "Retina" displays, there has been no definite confirmation of these claims so far.

ipad_3_display_mr_ruler.jpg

MacRumors has now been able to obtain one of these iPad 3 displays and examine it under a microscope in an effort to determine whether it is indeed an ultra-high resolution Retina display. Physically, the purported iPad 3 display is the same size as the current iPad 1 and iPad 2 display at 9.7" in diagonal, and looks quite similar to the naked eye.

However, when comparing the iPad 3 display to one from an iPad 2 under a microscope, the difference in resolutions becomes readily apparent, with the iPad 3 display's pixels appearing to be one-quarter the size of those on the iPad 2.

ipad_2_ipad_3_pixels.jpg

Since we only had a raw iPad 3 display with no method to power it, taking high quality photos of the pixels was difficult. Still, even with the relatively poor lighting, you can easily make out the pixels on each display (made up of red, green and blue elements). We highlighted a cluster of 4 pixels (2x2) from the iPad 2 to compare it to the same area on the iPad 3. On the iPad 3, the same cluster was occupied by 16 pixels (4x4) -- exactly twice the resolution in each direction.

Extrapolating out, the iPad 3 screen should carry a full resolution of 2048x1536, exactly twice the linear resolution of the iPad 1 and iPad 2 which is 1024x768. Such a screen should be able to display much sharper images as compared to the previous generation iPads.

While these iPad 3 screens weren't directly sourced from Apple, they are labeled as OEM replacement parts for the iPad 3 and are apparently in mass production. The difficulties of any 3rd party in mass producing 2048x1536 9.7" Retina displays make us quite confident that these represent legitimate iPad 3 parts.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPad 3 with a media event on March 7, and the device is rumored to be carrying this high-resolution display, a new A6 system-on-a-chip, and LTE support for models with cellular data capabilities.

Article Link: Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
The iPad is my fav apple device and I can't wait for this new iPad! Retna display and verizon lte is all I want

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does that mean all computer displays will look like a POS after you use the retina display iPad 3?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Seriously MR ? wow.

Don't go turning into another Gizmodo please.

/start down votes

My first thought too:
1) wow, how they did that
2) please be carefully, iSecurity might be on its way

Anyway: thanks for the surprise in the morning ; waiting for March to come soon

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
So stolen tech is ok to report on ? :S

I get the whole rumor thing and sometimes leaks of images from factories etc but "Obtaining" it to check out... Gizmodo keeps ringing in my head hmm

Edit: actually you know what I think this is actually pretty lame. I have been temp banned from here before for calling someone a "liar" ... ok so I name called and went against the rules but its hardly a word that can cause serious harm.

But you guys can illegally obtain objects to report on and break the law ? wow. The sense I see it now.

henrystar

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Does that mean all computer displays will look like a POS after you use the retina display iPad 3?

Yes, I think so! A factor of two both ways in resolution is big stuff. This will blow people away and lead to huge, huge sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.