Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randallw

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Hey all,

I know it's probably been discussed a bit before, but with Mountain Lion taking on a whole bunch of announced iOS features like Reminders, Notification Center, Messages, etc, the next logical step seems to be they would release a Siri type program on OSX.

Currently, it looks like Apple uses their own servers to receive Siri requests from iPhone 4S devices. I wouldn't think they would need OSX to access their servers, but instead the voice recognition and checking can happen with your PC as long as it has internet access to access your iCloud data (or it would use the last sync data with iCould if you had no internet access).

I for one would love to see this, as Siri has provided a neat change of pace for scheduling meetings, checking weather, etc. Being able to easily talk to my computer to get a response for meetings would ideally be the same as my phone, but since I'm practically on my computer for 8 hours a day working, it seems a more natural fit.

Thoughts?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
No way they would release Siri on OS X before it's capable of handling the enormous amount of potential commands people can throw at it, but I'd be surprised if they weren't already working on it.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
It's probably in the workings but I doubt we'll see it on 10.8.0. Maybe in a future release.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I think it'll happen. Most Macs have a built-in mic and extending the service to more devices, include the Apple TV and Mac, could be a natural fit. I've spoken into my iMac's mic from 5 feet away and had Google flawlessly identify every single word I spoke when using their voice-controlled search feature, so hardware-wise it's definitely possible. Apple had been an advocate of speech recognition on the Mac far before it ever considered its application in mobile handsets, actually, so I think it's time to port some of that functionality back to OS X.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
It would be creepy to talk to a Mac, but it could get things done faster :D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
... the next logical step seems to be they would release a Siri type program on OSX.

Thoughts?

It's going to arrive, but when? Could be with Mt. Lion, as an add-on around summer or release, but I think it is a major programming effort for OSX so it is probably taking time to rework.

The rumors say that Apple is going to have it on their TVs/ATVs. It would make sense to get it to their computers. They've wanted something like this for years just for the facilitation of crippled people alone, but it would be the best thing ever done. I'd love to be able to walk into the room in the morning and say "turn on" and "open PS3" and "start DVD Player, load 2001, play from first chapter". Etc. There is SO much computer usage which would be perfect with voice. All the initiation of programs and running of simple and basic software could be taken by SIRI. You could be in your office and tell the computer to get all info for you before you turn around to get to the computer... brilliant.

I'm sure the PC crowd is working toward that. Apple has a head start they should utilize soon.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Frankly, I hardly ever use Siri on my phone, and would probably never use it on my laptop.

I don't know what people think they need Siri for.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I don’t think Siri is coming to the Mac. There was the recent revelation Apple included a specialized instruction set to the A5 to allow for better speech recognition from distance. Of course a Core i5 probably has more than enough power to emulate without too much of a performance hit.

Beyond that though there are behavioral patterns to consider. The iPhone is really the only device in Apple’s stable that can be considered truly personal. iPads, macs, even iPods are far more likely to be shared devices. Part of Siri’s functionality is its ability to learn about the user.

I think we’re far more likely to see a scenario where future iPhones can associate with a Mac and interpret/execute Siri commands, perhaps via NFC. You might even be able to log-in to a user account with an NFC enabled phone, then when you say “Play Miles Davis” Siri knows you’re linked to your computer so iTunes plays it instead of the iPhone. When asking for directions a Google search is executed (or maybe more likely the fruit of Apple’s 3 mapping acquisitions last year)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I don’t think its coming to the Mac either - People have tried to get voice services to integrate with computers before - and they never really succeeded. I can see it with phones since they are the ultimate in mobility - if someone is near you and interfering with you talking - you can move and go someplace else. Not so with computers. Desktops are not mobile at all - you cannot move them around to accommodate the background and laptops require a lot more work to move around and even then you are limited on where you can use them.

But voice is a limited thing. On phones though it works a lot better though - your desire for odd information is more needy. I don’t find myself talking to my computer. I am listening to audio and doing more busy stuff where I have access to lots more resources that I need direct control over.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Frankly, I hardly ever use Siri on my phone, and would probably never use it on my laptop.

I use it for things like alarms on my iPhone, say I'm going to bed and need to be up at 6:15, I just ask Siri to wake me up at 6:15, then because I'm crap at waking up, I just say, "Set another for 6:25" and it's done, I don't even have to unlock the phone. :)

Don't fully know what I'd use it for on the Mac, sure I would though. :)

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
The ability to provide spoken commands in OS X has always been pretty good, so I think a lot of the stuff that Siri would need to work with the more open desktops is already here. That said it's been a while since I used any of these features; while I may frequently sit and shout at my computer, it's usually to get it to f'in finish a command I already gave it, rather than because I want to start a new one ;)

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011

For startes same simple things they can use it on iPhone. Search for something, set alarms and reminders, control iTunes and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.