Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aliascognito

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Ireland
Hi,
I need to find an application for my iPad which enables me to not only type up notes, but also be able to at will, start writing with a stylus/my finger. Also is there any apps which allow images to imported to the notes as well as allowing for various folders/sub-folders .i.e. Subject > Topic.

Slightly off topic, are there any apps such as the one above which allow for a timetable to be drawn up or allow for a planner/diary for recording homeworks etc?

Thanks in advance!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
There are tons of note taking apps out there. My favourite for combining hand writing and text is Notability - you can also import images, take audio notes, etc. It's a high quality app IMO.

You can also look at Notes7HD. That's another high quality app with extensive features, although I slightly prefer the hand writing function of Notability. A great thing with Notes7HD is that it can convert hand writing to text, however my hand writing is too messy for that to really work (I end up wasting too much time correcting the text predictions).

I also like Circus Ponies notebooks, but I use it more on my MBA than on my iPad. Again, I think Notability is a better alternative for hand writing, but this app also does everything you want (minus the time table thing - but it does come with an outline page and options for marking up stuff etc which could serve a similar purpose).

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I used to use UPAD when I owned an iPad. It was the best one I came across. Folders, subfolders, could create documents with different backgrounds (grids, lines, colors), background photos, photo import, pdf export, pdf annotation, adjustable line widths, highlighting, palm protection, etc. Check it out :)

EDIT- http://www.pockeysoft.com/UPAD2/

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Notabliity!! I LOVE LOVE this app! I use it daily for notes for classes. Depending on the class I either type w/ an external keyboard or handwrite; some classes have a lot of PDFs and notability allows you to mark up the PDF with freehand drawing which IMO is awesome b/c I can take notes, underline, highlight, etc. in the same app that I can type in.

Plus they just came out with a new update, handwriting is supposed to be smoother / better. I haven't got a chance to try it yet but all of their updates so far have been great.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I used to use UPAD when I owned an iPad. It was the best one I came across. Folders, subfolders, could create documents with different backgrounds (grids, lines, colors), background photos, photo import, pdf export, pdf annotation, adjustable line widths, highlighting, palm protection, etc. Check it out :)

EDIT- http://www.pockeysoft.com/UPAD2/

I hadn´t seen this before. I downloaded the lite version to check it out and it looks interesting. I´m not sure it will beat Notability for me, though, but it looks like a quality app.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Notability has all the listed features of uPad (I have both)- including the backgrounds, PDF annotation, changing pen witdths, etc. Upad is not as friendly to typing notes vs. handwriting though.
I got the app back in September and it didn't do 1/2 of the things it does now. Honestly the developers have done so much in the past few months and they are always updating. They respond to emails SO quick about bugs, suggetsions, etc. I've never been so fond of an app before. (no, I have no affiliation with them at all lol)

----------

FWIW I use pocket informant for a planner / school work. Maybe also check out Awesome Note for that too.
I love Circuis Ponies for my MB but I didn't hear good things about the iPad version (plus, super expensive, when other programs are really good for MUCH cheapier)

Travmakar

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Notability ALL the way I just purchased it and am completely in love with it. :D

The app was only .99 cents and after playing around with it for a few hours this will suit my needs.

Some features with this app.

- Numerous fonts, colors, bold/italic/underline options.

- Ability to email via PDF, RTF or note.

- Ability to work offline and a given you cannot send or upload notes while not online.

- Compatible with Dropbox, Box, iDisk, WebDAV and iTunes.

- Ability to print or "open in" options.

- Within the same note you can - add photos, recordings, type text, handwritten notes and highlight.

I am sure I missed many more features BUT this is what I learned in 20 minutes from using the new app. Worth the .99 cents to see if you like it.

Last edited:

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
This thread prompted me to take a closer look at the current version of Notability (I probably own about 8 of the top notetaking apps). Notability is really a solid, full featured notetaking app with an excellent user interface. I have been using it again for the last few days and it has not disappointed. The handwriting inking is very smooth.

I may have to adapt my filing approach to Notability's two level approach - although I wish they would add the ability to have unlimited hierarchical foldering. I have seen others make the same comment, but perhaps most users don't care?

Would anyone else find the ability to set a due date to a note useful. I take all meeting notes in my notetaking app and often have todos from the meeting that I wish I could just set a due date - like Awesome Notes.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
This thread prompted me to take a closer look at the current version of Notability (I probably own about 8 of the top notetaking apps). Notability is really a solid, full featured notetaking app with an excellent user interface. I have been using it again for the last few days and it has not disappointed. The handwriting inking is very smooth.

I may have to adapt my filing approach to Notability's two level approach - although I wish they would add the ability to have unlimited hierarchical foldering. I have seen others make the same comment, but perhaps most users don't care?

Would anyone else find the ability to set a due date to a note useful. I take all meeting notes in my notetaking app and often have todos from the meeting that I wish I could just set a due date - like Awesome Notes.

Agree with you on all points; I'm a long time user of Notability and I also have probably purchased every note taking app in the App Store, lol. Notability is a winner for me on all fronts EXCEPT for categorizing my notes! It really needs to allow users to create folders as well as SUB-FOLDERS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.