Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I've just tried my new ATV3 and I'm very disappointed, the Netflix content in HD doesn't play 100% smoothly (while compared to my 2011 Mac Mini also connected to the TV).

You can see for example in "The Office", with the sudden camera movements happen or there's a lot of action, it's a bit jittery, it doesn't play as smoothly as from a computer. You can definitely notice this.

It's not highly noticeable (my wife doesn't notice it), but for the trained eye you can see it (low FPS).

What do you guys think?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
i say its a software thing man, it just came out, apple will need to fix that kindda stuff now with a firmware update, im getting the atv 3 today aswell.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
By now somebody must have tried playing netflix in HD 720p. Have you guys noticed that is not very smooth?

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
By now somebody must have tried playing netflix in HD 720p. Have you guys noticed that is not very smooth?

My playback has been better with the ATV3 than my ATV2. Actually, it's been so smooth that I'm thinking about keeping it full-time replacing my jailbroken ATV2.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
My playback has been better with the ATV3 than my ATV2. Actually, it's been so smooth that I'm thinking about keeping it full-time replacing my jailbroken ATV2.

How does it compare to a PC netflix playback?

Reemi123

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Im also experiencing the same problem

Hi, Im also having this problem, i recently bought an Apple TV 3rd Generation, did you find a solution or a fix?

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've just tried my new ATV3 and I'm very disappointed, the Netflix content in HD doesn't play 100% smoothly (while compared to my 2011 Mac Mini also connected to the TV).

You can see for example in "The Office", with the sudden camera movements happen or there's a lot of action, it's a bit jittery, it doesn't play as smoothly as from a computer. You can definitely notice this.

It's not highly noticeable (my wife doesn't notice it), but for the trained eye you can see it (low FPS).

What do you guys think?

Have you used the atv2 previous to this? Is the ATV3 on the same port as the 2 was? If not, I am wondering if it's the smoothing option that tv's have.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Hi, Im also having this problem, i recently bought an Apple TV 3rd Generation, did you find a solution or a fix?

Yes, the problem is with content in 23.976 fps. The Apple TV can't sync at 24p with modern TVs, and it can only do 50hz or 60hz. The content at 23.976 fps played at 50hz or 60hz causes this jitter.

Fortunately, tweaking the options of the telly you can make it disappear. In Sony TVs, go to picture settings, set "MotionFlow" to "Clear", and "Film Mode" to Auto 1.

More info on this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1345264/

Reemi123

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
Yes, the problem is with content in 23.976 fps. The Apple TV can't sync at 24p with modern TVs, and it can only do 50hz or 60hz. The content at 23.976 fps played at 50hz or 60hz causes this jitter.

Fortunately, tweaking the options of the telly you can make it disappear. In Sony TVs, go to picture settings, set "MotionFlow" to "Clear", and "Film Mode" to Auto 1.

More info on this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1345264/

Any idea how to fix this on a Samsung 6 series tv LED?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.