Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthroposii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I bought a mac pro with Lion os x preinstalled. I tried to get rid of it by deleting it in disk utility, actually erasing and partitioning it and tried to install the snow leopard 10.6 from the disk that came with my mackbook pro 2009 model.

Now it says Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer, so I want to restore Lion OS X but that's not working either since everytime I restard either a question mark in a folder will appear or just plain grey screen,

I tried holding the Option key right after screen goes black but nothing comes.

Any solutions or have I messed it up?

Nov 28, 2010
located
The Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD coming with a 2009 Mac will not include drivers for a 2010 Mac Pro.

Did you delete the Recovery Partition too?
What about using the MP in Target Disk Mode and using the 2009 MBP to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto the properly formatted MP's internal HDD, then running all software updates and then booting the MP? I did that recently with a late 2011 MBP.

anthroposii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
The Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD coming with a 2009 Mac will not include drivers for a 2010 Mac Pro.

Did you delete the Recovery Partition too?
What about using the MP in Target Disk Mode and using the 2009 MBP to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto the properly formatted MP's internal HDD, then running all software updates and then booting the MP? I did that recently with a late 2011 MBP.

I'm not sure if I have deleted, all I rememver was reading insturctions on the internet and I erased the partition to mac journaled and then went to macintosh hd and erased that as well then tried to install snow leopard again,

any solutions, can you give me steps on how i can recover or get it to starting,

cuz everytime i restart i see question mark in a folder on a grey screen.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm not sure if I have deleted, all I rememver was reading insturctions on the internet and I erased the partition to mac journaled and then went to macintosh hd and erased that as well then tried to install snow leopard again,

any solutions, can you give me steps on how i can recover or get it to starting,

cuz everytime i restart i see question mark in a folder on a grey screen.

I thought you wanted to use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, thus my instructions.

Anyway, does the following help?
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

Nov 28, 2010
located
I tried that holding command and R but only the question mark in the folder logo appears nothign else. Any other ideas.

And can I be able to install the snow OS by the method you suggested using a firewire?

If you do as I described, then yes, you can install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

anthroposii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011

it turns out i don't have the firewire i will have to buy a new one, but can you suggest another method?

----------

and the apple logo only comes when i put back my snow leopord cd in again

Nov 28, 2010
located
it turns out i don't have the firewire i will have to buy a new one, but can you suggest another method?

If you don't have a Firewire cable, then yes, you need to buy one.
I don't know of any other method using Target Disk Mode.
But you could put the MP HDD into an enclosure for 3.5" HDDs (USB 2.0 will suffice) and use that HDD to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto and update it and then put it back into the MP.

anthroposii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
If you don't have a Firewire cable, then yes, you need to buy one.
I don't know of any other method using Target Disk Mode.
But you could put the MP HDD into an enclosure for 3.5" HDDs (USB 2.0 will suffice) and use that HDD to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto and update it and then put it back into the MP.

I'm sorry I don't quite follow, can you tell in step by step way I'm kinda confused here, u want me to use external hard drive to install snow leopard, what are the steps for that

thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm sorry I don't quite follow, can you tell in step by step way I'm kinda confused here, u want me to use external hard drive to install snow leopard, what are the steps for that

thanks.

If you don't have a Firewire cable to use Target Disk Mode, you have to put the Mac Pro's HDD (the one inside that computer) into an enclosure for 3.5" S-ATA HDDs (or a dock like this).
Then connect the enclosure/dock to your MBP, insert the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk, boot from it, go to Disk Utility and erase the HDD properly.
Then quit Disk Utility and select that external HDD to install Mac OS X onto. Then update the OS on that HDD via Software Update and after that is all done, put the HDD back into the Mac Pro.

anthroposii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
If you don't have a Firewire cable to use Target Disk Mode, you have to put the Mac Pro's HDD (the one inside that computer) into an enclosure for 3.5" S-ATA HDDs (or a dock like this).
Then connect the enclosure/dock to your MBP, insert the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk, boot from it, go to Disk Utility and erase the HDD properly.
Then quit Disk Utility and select that external HDD to install Mac OS X onto. Then update the OS on that HDD via Software Update and after that is all done, put the HDD back into the Mac Pro.

thanks thats a great method and very complicated but do u know a way that will allow me to reinstall my lion os cuz i need the mac working since i have a video editing project to finish so meantime i'll make do with lion os

thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanks thats a great method and very complicated but do u know a way that will allow me to reinstall my lion os cuz i need the mac working since i have a video editing project to finish so meantime i'll make do with lion os

thanks

Download Lion from the Mac App Store (MAS) on your MBP and don't install it.
Then make a Lion Boot Disk:
Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

After all that is done, get an additional HDD for backup purposes, like clones of your two Macs OS' installations, to have bootable copies of those, in case something like this happens again.

PS: If you have any external HDD you can use for cloning an OS to, you could connect that HDD to your MBP, clone its OS, connect the HDD to your MP and boot from it and then cloning it to the internal MP's HDD (after formatting it properly).

ipxtorm

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
That folder icon with question mark means it doesn't have any bootable disk on any drive (ie. hdd or superdrive). You need to have a copy of an installer in DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.