Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w

haven't downloaded any apps from Cydia since Jan 1, 2012 and got to this screen/photo the other day while phone was being charged in the car.

Just wanted to restore to stock apple iOS 5.1, but always restore error 1602 and the apple boot logo

please help.

IMG_0865.jpg

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
hosts file for Windows 7 (after iTunes download) ... Thanks!

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#       102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com        # source server
#        38.25.63.10     x.acme.com            # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#        127.0.0.1      localhost
#        ::1            localhost

Last edited:

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
did not mentioned 3rd party apps or JB and the local Apple stores can't restore to current iOS 5.1

I have all shsh files, stitched, etc. should I try to restore from those?

note the above photo appears in few minutes when it's being charged via car charger/wall outlet (not USB charging).

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I do not know how to fix your issue, however I have the definition of "bricked" when you are speaking about technology...

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick."

So if your phone powers up its not been bricked.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I do not know how to fix your issue, however I have the definition of "bricked" when you are speaking about technology...

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick."

So if your phone powers up its not been bricked.

What a complete and utter waste of time. He's trying to fix his phone....I'm sure he couldn't care less if it meets your qualifications of "bricked".

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Do you use a Mac? Go to the System Preferences and then set up a new user with full Admin privileges in the Users panel. Log out of your account and into the new one, try to restore from there.

If not you could try the usual, following, instructions:

Check your hosts file, ensure that any reference to Saurik's server is deleted (the I.P address line beginning 74, etc).

Then manually put your iPhone into DFU mode.

Power 3 secs.

Power and Home 10 secs.

Release Sleep/Wake and continue holding Home until iTunes tells you it has found a phone in recovery mode, but the screen of the iPhone remains blank.

Then restore via iTunes. You will need set up the iPhone as a new phone, as your back up is from a jailbroken phone and cannot be used to restore from.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If you have used tinyumbrella, just unmark the host file in the advanced tab. Then try to do the restore.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
You don't have to worry about hosts files when you're stitching your shsh blobs to any firmware. Just save your shsh with TinyUmbrella and then use redsn0w from dev team blog or sn0wbreeze from ih8sn0w(iFaith method) to create a firmware or custom firmware with your blobs attached. Make sure you get into pwned DFU when doing the restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.