Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I recently was in the Applestore looking at the new iPad. Most of the iPads ran warm regardless of app. All 4 imtried but one and even though i streamed video from CBS and watched photos in iPhoto it still didn't get warm.
So is it possible to get an iPad that doesn't get warm during regular load, surfing etc only when running heavy apps like games etc?

Anyone got an iPad that didn't get warm?

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
They all run a little warmer than the past ones. The new iPad has an aluminum heat sink directing heat away from the bigger GPU and battery towards the outside of the case to protect itself. So yes it runs a little warmer. I personally don't even notice it on mine but to each his own.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I guess it probably does 'objectively' speaking, but I don't notice any difference on mine.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Yes it does. Lower left corner bc that's where the battery is? I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong lol ;)

I don't mind it. If you keep brightness down and are just web surfing, it's fine most of the time. I'd prefer the warmth w the new retina screen any day. Feels so refreshing reading text on new iPad as opposed to ipad2

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I think it depends. Frankly, I think for most usages 60-75% brightness is more than enough, and at that brightness the iPad doesn't get warm. If you run it at 100% then it does get warm, yes. I'm not sure why you would want such a bright screen though, it may even be bad for your eyes.

So, when you were in the store, did you check to see if they all had the same brightness levels in the settings pane?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Yes it does. Lower left corner bc that's where the battery is? I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong lol ;)

I don't mind it. If you keep brightness down and are just web surfing, it's fine most of the time. I'd prefer the warmth w the new retina screen any day. Feels so refreshing reading text on new iPad as opposed to ipad2

That's where the GPU is. That's what causes most of the extra heat.

scudder59

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Most defo warmer than the 2. Left mine on and charging sitting on top of a neoprene case and it was noticably warm all over. This seems normal as heat dissipates from the CPU and battery. Not concerned at all by this and living in Scotland, anything that keeps your fingers warm is a bonus :)

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Every new iPad i've seen and touched was a little bit warm. This for sure is a thing i enjoy because i think it's more comfortable to hold it warm then icecold like the iPad 2.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Mine got warm.

I ran the battery to zero, recharged. At 20% I reinstalled the OS.

Runs much cooler now.

bam88

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
After 45 mins of infinity blade ii, mine still feels cooler than my galaxy s ii when playing game!:eek:

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I think it runs warmer but not hot. I did return one unit that got extremely hot. Mine seemed to do better after letting the battery run down a few times and charging completely (i.e. calibrating the battery). I do think it may be an issue on the porch in the middle of summer here in NC when it gets nice and hot outdoors. A folio case keeps me from noticing the warmth so much.

Last edited:

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
If you browse the web at 60% brightness, you wont feel any warmth. If you play IB2 at 100% brightness with the power cable plugged in however...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Mine runs a little warm but nothing worth fussing over. I have mine set to max brightness all the time so that contributes to it. Non issue for me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I recently was in the Applestore looking at the new iPad. Most of the iPads ran warm regardless of app.

Mine does occasionary get warm, but it's not warm all the time. It totally depends on the app I'm running -- some apps tend to make it go warm, and others don't. I think the ones in the stores are warm because they are running while on a charger. Perhaps the one that wasn't warm was disconnected from the power cord? Or maybe had just been plugged in.

imbogus1

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
I keep brightness level down to 70% or so and it does not get warm for me. I also experience good battery levels.

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
New England
My DIL had ordered a iP3 and then canceled because she heard they were overheating and there would be a fix from Apple. I can't find anything that would suggest Apple's fixing anything and it seems like the heat issue is sort of linked to screen brightness being greater than 70%? OTH, if it seems uncomfortably warm at 80% shouldn't Apple address that by maybe limiting the brightness? Or is this a no harm no foul issue and nothing will happen if you use it at 100% for extended periods?

I hope to get one myself soon as my son returns my ThinkPad so I can sell it and apply whatever I get towards the new iPad.

Mike

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My DIL had ordered a iP3 and then canceled because she heard they were overheating and there would be a fix from Apple. I can't find anything that would suggest Apple's fixing anything and it seems like the heat issue is sort of linked to screen brightness being greater than 70%? OTH, if it seems uncomfortably warm at 80% shouldn't Apple address that by maybe limiting the brightness? Or is this a no harm no foul issue and nothing will happen if you use it at 100% for extended periods?

Well, I'll put it this way -- I've had laptops that get way warmer, so I wouldn't exactly call it overheating, or anything that Apple needs to fix. Whether or not it gets "uncomfortably" warm is a subjective matter. What may be uncomfortable for me may not be uncomfortable for you. As for correlation with brightness level, well obviously, the higher the brightness, the quicker it gets warmer, but in my experience, it depends more on which app is running than the brightness level. Some apps never gets never warm no matter how high the brightness, others get warm even with the brightness at 10%. In any case, it's not like it gets hot enough to cause a burn, or damage the iPad. I certainly wouldn't put off purchase waiting for a fix -- that's just not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.