Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Amsterdam
just picked a 15" Macbook and I'm real OCD when it comes to me investment. Do you guys recommend a speck case for it? Or should I go naked? I'm curious to read what you guys use to protect your Macbook? ;)

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
just picked a 15" Macbook and I'm real OCD when it comes to me investment. Do you guys recommend a speck case for it? Or should I go naked? I'm curious to read what you guys use to protect your Macbook? ;)

I don't use one, just a sleeve for when carrying it in a bag. They shouldn't scratch under normal use. I've heard reports of cases scratching MBPs, though I'm not sure how common that is.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Speck or not speck they are pretty similar.
I had one, but I did remove bottom of it, because it just looks crap.
I left which covers the top, Apple logo looks kinda cool on transparent black.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
No, No, No, a thousand times No :)

Just take care as you normally would & enjoy that beauty.

I'm a recovering perfectionist, it's not worth covering up a gorgeous new Mac. They do *not* dent easily as many would have you believe. They're also scratch resistant. Apple chose a very durable aluminum.

Challenge yourself to just use it and enjoy, you'll do just fine.

I have several aluminum MBP's of various ages and they all look as good as new. Can't beat that.

mriv3

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
NJ
I've owned 2 aluminum macs since the day they released and I never got a scratch on any of them! They are pretty sturdy and very scratch resistant! If you are planning on using it for everyday normal use you should be fine!

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
No, No, No, a thousand times No :)

Just take care as you normally would & enjoy that beauty.

I'm a recovering perfectionist, it's not worth covering up a gorgeous new Mac. They do *not* dent easily as many would have you believe. They're also scratch resistant. Apple chose a very durable aluminum.

Challenge yourself to just use it and enjoy, you'll do just fine.

I have several aluminum MBP's of various ages and they all look as good as new. Can't beat that.

Oh... I cary my Macbook like a real baby, just I have hands on him, I never dropped it and done something like that, but I've done two craches on the top of it which can be easily seen. I don't know how I did get them... Really, I watched after it like after my eyes.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Guess I'm the odd man out. I use an Incase Hardshell Perforated case on mine. I like the look and always have the option of removing it if I choose too. Like others I am careful with my "stuff" and my 2011 MBP is still in pristine condition. Different strokes for different folks.

EpsilonExordium

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Austin, TX
They are definitely NOT scratch resistant. I have scratched the lid of every macbook pro and macbook air I have owned - and I baby them. I even scratched the base of my new imac when I accidently slid my keyboard onto it. The same with the back of the ipad. Apple's aluminum is far from scratch proof. I would say it's rather scratch-prone, to be quite frank.

My next macbook is getting a clear skin applied before it ever leaves the house. Scratches destroy resale value.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I've put Invisible Shield on my MacBook Pro 17" and Air. I like the extra grip it give as I find them very slippery naturally.

Herrow

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I've put Invisible Shield on my MacBook Pro 17" and Air. I like the extra grip it give as I find them very slippery naturally.

My Speck case failed and it takes away from the design. I did slap on a set of ShaggyMac Struts and they work great as a handle and feet, other than that my MBP is naked.

njdevil

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
I would vote no. While I like the look of the black shell I have on mine, It's actually led to more scratching- crumbs and bits of crap get stuck between the macbook and the shell and scratch it all up, at least on the bottom. What once was a pristine MBP is now covered in annoying little scuffs, so now I have to keep the shell.

hemagoku

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
don't rly have one myself, but friends has 13" , i would say no, kinda got similar case for the phone and i don't really like it (i don't remove it either though xD).

ThomasRocks

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I would vote no IF it is a early 2011 or above, the bottom case, no matter how perforated or how many slits, can cause serious damage from over heating, the plastic doesn't allow the aluminum to disperse heat as well. With the case on I ran a good 2-3c warmer on the outside especially where the Graphics card is so be wary. The MC723LL/A and similar models can barely disperse the heat from the quad-core processor and dedicated Graphics as it is.

----------

check out these 15 macbook pro cases

there super sexy and have a smooth rubber feel my favoorite yet .

Exact case I have in blue ^

The apple genius also broke it when removing the Top case. Hard to get on/off

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I would vote no IF it is a early 2011 or above, the bottom case, no matter how perforated or how many slits, can cause serious damage from over heating, the plastic doesn't allow the aluminum to disperse heat as well. With the case on I ran a good 2-3c warmer on the outside especially where the Graphics card is so be wary. The MC723LL/A and similar models can barely disperse the heat from the quad-core processor and dedicated Graphics as it is.

I have a mid 2010 15' I actually ok. I currently have a speck case on, been on since 2010, I mean its already been 2 years and it still runs like the day I bought it.

fr4nx0r

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Never Again

I bought a speck hardshell case for my (previous generation) 15" MBP, thinking it would protect the external beauty of my investment. It ended up retaining whatever dust still gets in underneath it (dust DOES get under these things, no matter how careful you are), and scratching up the previously pristine surfaces it was intended to protect. And yes, I did make sure all contact surfaces were absolutely free of any dust before installing the infernal thing. Learn from my pain and avoid these things like the plague.

A nice neoprene sleeve that you can zip closed is great for protection on the go (even inside your bag's/backpack's laptop compartment). That, combined with conscientious handling, will keep you much happier than one of those speck monstrosities ever will.

BTW this is my first post ever on MR. After years of occasional lurking when in need of unvarnished information, I finally decided to register and participate - so hi, everyone! Happy to be here!

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Do you have any small children or rambunctious pets in your household? Then absolutely get yourself a hard cover!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.