Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys,

I know I can get ML free when my rMBP arrives (august 7th), but will I be able to use that one as well for my 2011 iMac? or do I need to but one? thanks.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
If it ships with Mountain Lion preinstalled, then that's the only one copy you get.
If it's shipped with Lion, then you redeem a code through the Up-to-Date Program in the Mac App Store and it will be linked to your Apple ID, which can be used on all the Macs you own.:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It says nothing about not being able to upgrade both computers, am I missing something?
Here:
The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.
It's not clear whether you can use that free upgrade to install ML on all computers. I wouldn't bank on it until you talk to Apple.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
It says nothing about not being able to upgrade both computers, am I missing something?

I believe when you try to update, Apple's server will verify eligibility against the computer's serial number, and assign the *free* or *pay to update* tag for that particular computer.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I was under the impression that with Lion, there was a process that ended with the OS being added to your Mac App Store account (correct me if I'm wrong here). If that is the case then you won't have to pay for your iMac; Apple stated at WWDC that you only had to buy it once for all of your Macs. If it's on your App Store account then it's on your App Store account. Which computer you use to access that account is irrelevant.

dude4

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I was under the impression that with Lion, there was a process that ended with the OS being added to your Mac App Store account (correct me if I'm wrong here). If that is the case then you won't have to pay for your iMac; Apple stated at WWDC that you only had to buy it once for all of your Macs. If it's on your App Store account then it's on your App Store account. Which computer you use to access that account is irrelevant.

that was the impression i got as well

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
The free upgrade that you receive in the up to date program is valid ONLY for that one computer. All of your other Macs, bought before June 11 2012, will require the purchase of a separate upgrade. A single purchase is necessary to upgrade all of your pre June 2012 Macs.

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
The free upgrade that you receive in the up to date program is valid ONLY for that one computer. All of your other Macs, bought before June 11 2012, will require the purchase of a separate upgrade. A single purchase is necessary to upgrade all of your pre June 2012 Macs.

Do you have a source for that information?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Yes, it's http://www.apple.com

This is exactly how it worked with the free upgrade to Lion and this exactly how it will work with Mountain Lion. I cannot use Lion that came free with one of Macs on any of my other Macs. To upgrade those I had to purchase the separate upgrade. I also cannot use the upgrade installation to install Lion on the Mac that came with Lion. Believe me, I've tried. Apple makes this pretty clear.

The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

This is pretty clear. You cannot use this upgrade on any other Mac, just like with Lion

Macworld said:
Like Lion, Apple will let you pay for and download one copy of Mountain Lion that you can install to multiple Macs—a welcome feature for multi-Mac households.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
For what it's worth, when Snow Leopard came out and they offered similar up-to-date upgrade for recently purchased computers, the DVD I received worked perfectly well in both the new MBP and in another older one. I think technically this is not the intended use of that program, but there were no physical restrictions to doing it. The only thing though is that it needs to have the previous version of the OS, not older. So you could not go Tiger to Snow Leopard without upgrading to Leopard first.

With downloadable upgrades, just make sure to save the image you download onto an external drive of some kind, it tends to erase itself upon installation so might be a pain to re-download it for successive installs.

tninety

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Banned!
Yes, it's http://www.apple.com

This is exactly how it worked with the free upgrade to Lion and this exactly how it will work with Mountain Lion. I cannot use Lion that came free with one of Macs on any of my other Macs. To upgrade those I had to purchase the separate upgrade. I also cannot use the upgrade installation to install Lion on the Mac that came with Lion. Believe me, I've tried. Apple makes this pretty clear.

This is pretty clear. You cannot use this upgrade on any other Mac, just like with Lion
But that quote says an upgrade to Mountain Lion comes with the purchase of a new Mac. It doesn't say you can't use that upgrade for your other computers too.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

It is relevant. You have to purchase the upgrade for Macs bought before June 11th. The free upgrade is treated as though the machine came with Mountain Lion, once you've upgraded. It gets assigned to the machine's unique identifier and not to your iTunes account. Only the paid upgrade gets assigned to your iTunes account and you can re-download it from the app store by holding alt and it will change from Purchased to Download or Install. I can't remember which one.

----------

But that quote says an upgrade to Mountain Lion comes with the purchase of a new Mac. It doesn't say you can't use that upgrade for your other computers too.
The quote says very clearly that the free upgrade is for your new Mac. It does not give you a copy of ML for your other computers. This is exactly how it worked with Lion. Trust me, I've tried to install the free Lion install onto other Macs that did not come with Lion. It does not work. The converse also does not work. You cannot use the upgrade Lion from the app store to install onto a Mac that came with Lion.

There are tons of threads about this from last year when Lion came out.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I had the same with sl to lion and it is sitting in my mac app store so I could use it on all my macs without an issue. No physical copy was sent out

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
With downloadable upgrades, just make sure to save the image you download onto an external drive of some kind, it tends to erase itself upon installation so might be a pain to re-download it for successive installs.

For various reasons I've been doing this quite a lot recently. You can grab the install file if you do it at the right time.

Here is what you get if you try to install the upgrade Lion onto a computer that came with Lion or the free Lion onto a computer that did not come with Lion or a free upgrade

ScreenShot2012-07-12at004948.png

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
For various reasons I've been doing this quite a lot recently. You can grab the install file if you do it at the right time.

Here is what you get if you try to install the upgrade Lion onto a computer that came with Lion or the free Lion onto a computer that did not come with Lion or a free upgrade

Was the computer you bought with Lion already? I bought my iMac 2011 with SL and a free upgrade to Lion so Lion is bind to my apple ID, but never tried to install it on another computer (since its my only mac). I don't know, I know it's only 20 bucks, but its money I could use for another app but my rMBP won't be here until 5-7th august. Not sure if I should buy on release or try my luck once I have the rMBP.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I actually hope I am wrong on this, because not having to pay for my other macs will be great.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010

Are you sure that message is due to the machine not being licensed, or could it be the version you're installing might not have the correct drivers for the newer ivy bridge machines (if thats the machine you're using)?

Before I returned it, I wasnt able to install my 10.7.0 DVD onto my 2012 Macbook Air presumably due to the ivy bridge hardware as the DVD has worked on many different machines.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Think about it.

If you bought a new Mac with Lion, can you then install that computers lion on other computers? No.

If you want a version you can install everywhere, you have to buy it in the App store.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Are you sure that message is due to the machine not being licensed, or could it be the version you're installing might not have the correct drivers for the newer ivy bridge machines (if thats the machine you're using)?

Before I returned it, I wasnt able to install my 10.7.0 DVD onto my 2012 Macbook Air presumably due to the ivy bridge hardware as the DVD has worked on many different machines.

To be honest after rereading my previous late night's posts, I am no longer sure of anything.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
The quote says very clearly that the free upgrade is for your new Mac. It does not give you a copy of ML for your other computers. This is exactly how it worked with Lion. Trust me, I've tried to install the free Lion install onto other Macs that did not come with Lion. It does not work. The converse also does not work. You cannot use the upgrade Lion from the app store to install onto a Mac that came with Lion.

There are tons of threads about this from last year when Lion came out.

Bingo.

That is how Lion handled it, and there is every indication that that is how it'll work this time around as well. Lion was the first to be distributed via the app store, so any argument that the upgrade disc for Snow Leopard worked all machines is irrelevant. That was a disc with no way of connecting to a server to verify during installation. It simply used product key #s for licensing confirmation.

Though it is tied to your account, the servers verify that the free MLion is being installed on a serial numbered mac that was sold after a certain date. It will not install on your other macs. You'll need to buy a separate copy, which can then be installed on all of the other machines. It is only $20 this go around, if I remember correctly. How do I know this? Because they're using the same process as they did with Lion a year ago and the information to confirm this is on the site.

Some people in here really seem to want to believe that the opposite is true. Which is fine. You'll see the light within the next few weeks. $20 to upgrade the commercial OS on all your machines was unheard of even a few years ago. Used to be you'd pay at least $80 for 3 or 5 licenses, and you'd have no choice in the matter. And that kind of crap propagated piracy (more so for Windows). It is actually really smart of Apple to handle it the way that they do now, and the fact that they don't limit licenses is pro-consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.