Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Has anyone else with 8GB of ram or more noticed their page outs and swap file increasing with Aperture, even though not all the ram is used. Usually I will have about 2.5-3 GB of ram free/inactive, and about 3-3.25GB used by Aperture but before i know it my page outs are high then my page ins and i have a 3-5 GB swap file. Anyone else have this issue?

15" Late 2011 MBP running ML running latest Aperture, 3.3.2 i believe.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Has anyone else with 8GB of ram or more noticed their page outs and swap file increasing with Aperture, even thought not all the ram is used. Usually I will have about 2.5-3 GB of ram free/inactive, and about 3-3.25GB used by Aperture but before i know it my page outs are high then my page ins and i have a 3-5 GB swap file. Anyone else have this issue?

Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so it's likely they occurred when you didn't have free or inactive memory available. The swap used amount may vary as paging activity increases or declines, but will not return to zero until a restart. Try tracking it while you're running Aperture and you'll probably see that at the time page outs increase, there is no free/inactive memory available.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I've tested this on a fresh restart so 0 page out and 0GB swap file. I then opened up aperture in one window and monitored the ram usage in istat pro. As i was working on the photo's the page outs and swap file increase but i would have free ram the whole time. Aperture would never use 1/2 of the 8 GB of ram.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've tested this on a fresh restart so 0 page out and 0GB swap file. I then opened up aperture in one window and monitored the ram usage in istat pro. As i was working on the photo's the page outs and swap file increase but i would have free ram the whole time. Aperture would never use 1/2 of the 8 GB of ram.
It sounds like you may have a defective RAM module.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Has anyone else with 8GB of ram or more noticed their page outs and swap file increasing with Aperture, even though not all the ram is used. Usually I will have about 2.5-3 GB of ram free/inactive, and about 3-3.25GB used by Aperture but before i know it my page outs are high then my page ins and i have a 3-5 GB swap file. Anyone else have this issue?

Have you figured anything out with this issue? I noticed a lot of beach balling when using Aperture lately and looked at my page in/page data. My page outs are almost double the amount of my page ins; although I only have 6GB of RAM, I have NOT had this issue up until recently. I've been running ML and Aperture 3 for quite a while and very often, and I can say with certainty that this is a relatively recent phenomenon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My page outs are almost double the amount of my page ins; although I only have 6GB of RAM, I have NOT had this issue up until recent
There is no meaningful correlation between page outs and page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may not ever have page outs. Also, you can run for weeks or months, accumulating page ins, then go through a period of intense activity for only a few minutes which produces page outs. No ratio between the two is useful. The only thing that indicates a need for more RAM is the presence of significant page outs during normal workload, regardless of the page ins.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
There is no meaningful correlation between page outs and page ins. You will always have page ins, but you may not ever have page outs. Also, you can run for weeks or months, accumulating page ins, then go through a period of intense activity for only a few minutes which produces page outs. No ratio between the two is useful. The only thing that indicates a need for more RAM is the presence of significant page outs during normal workload, regardless of the page ins.

There may not be anything to the exact ratio of page outs to page ins, but as you say, it's REQUIRED to have page ins but page outs only show up when you need to write to disk. However, instead of repeating the same thing that you say any time someone has this question, you missed the underlying issue. I have not had any page outs until recently. I've been running ML and Aperture 3 fine ever since ML came out. Also during that time, my page outs have been minimal over a set period of time. However, I am now experiencing 4GB of page outs during the same time period I have experienced 5GB of page-ins while doing what I have always done (about 5 days since my last reboot).

Something has changed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have not had any page outs until recently. I've been running ML and Aperture 3 fine ever since ML came out. Also during that time, my page outs have been minimal over a set period of time. However, I am now experiencing 4GB of page outs during the same time period I have experienced 5GB of page-ins while doing what I have always done (about 5 days since my last reboot).

Something has changed.
At a time when you're paging out, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I've ended up upgrading to 16GB, was on sale at new egg. This seems to have fixed the page out problem. Haven't had any large imports lately but it seems be pretty good with 16GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.