Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I've had my retina MacBook Pro 2,6 GHz 16 GB version for almost a week now, and its fantastic in so many ways. The retina display is the most stunning display I've ever seen, and I really enjoy using my MacBook because of it.

However, I've noticed that a broad spectre of Mountain Lion is buggy as nothing I've ever used from Apple. For instance, Safari is at times nearly unusable.

- I've seen this been discussed here before, but I still want to bring it up again. Scrolling is not what I'm used to. Depending on which site I visit, it ranges from almost perfect (i.e. MacRumors, reddit and even some image heavy blogs and news sites) to utter garbage. Facebook being the absolute worst. When scrolling down my news feed, it often feels like a slide show with around 2 fps. Laggy as nothing else.

- Typing also is a pain. Text goes invincible, then to appear again, and then disappear again, seemingly at random. Sometimes one line of text is overlapping the previous line, and it's basically a complete mess. This could be from the autocorrect function, as I've noticed sites like facebook are far worse than when I'm writing now, for instance (on facebook I write in norwegian which has no dictionary yet, while this is obviously in english).

Scrolling is a problem not only in Safari, but also in other parts of Mountain Lion.
- In example, scrolling through my iTunes library is not as fluid and smooth as it was on my iMac running Lion. While smoother than scrolling facebook in Safari, it still is sub-par fps and feels laggy.
- However, scrolling through exremely high resolution photos in Aperture is smooth as butter, even still when I have tons of thumbnails on screen at the same time.
- This suggest that this is a software problem, not a hardware problem like I've seen suggested on this forum before.
- Even the OS itself sometimes is laggy, with occasional visible hiccups in the animations when I'm switching apps with Mission Control. This, however, is very rare (and it doesn't seem to correspond with the number of apps I'm running at the same time)
- Basically, there are good and bad apps when it comes to smooth graphics. Good ones being most of the standard apps, while App Store, Safari, Calendar and iTunes seems to be the worst.

Anyone else experincing the same with their retina MacBook Pro? Suggestions? Are Apple working on this?

Discuss.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've had my retina MacBook Pro 2,6 GHz 16 GB version for almost a week now, and its fantastic in so many ways. The retina display is the most stunning display I've ever seen, and I really enjoy using my MacBook because of it.

However, I've noticed that a broad spectre of Mountain Lion is buggy as nothing I've ever used from Apple. For instance, Safari is at times nearly unusable.

- I've seen this been discussed here before, but I still want to bring it up again. Scrolling is not what I'm used to. Depending on which site I visit, it ranges from almost perfect (i.e. MacRumors, reddit and even some image heavy blogs and news sites) to utter garbage. Facebook being the absolute worst. When scrolling down my news feed, it often feels like a slide show with around 2 fps. Laggy as nothing else.

- Typing also is a pain. Text goes invincible, then to appear again, and then disappear again, seemingly at random. Sometimes one line of text is overlapping the previous line, and it's basically a complete mess. This could be from the autocorrect function, as I've noticed sites like facebook are far worse than when I'm writing now, for instance (on facebook I write in norwegian which has no dictionary yet, while this is obviously in english).

Scrolling is a problem not only in Safari, but also in other parts of Mountain Lion.
- In example, scrolling through my iTunes library is not as fluid and smooth as it was on my iMac running Lion. While smoother than scrolling facebook in Safari, it still is sub-par fps and feels laggy.
- However, scrolling through exremely high resolution photos in Aperture is smooth as butter, even still when I have tons of thumbnails on screen at the same time.
- This suggest that this is a software problem, not a hardware problem like I've seen suggested on this forum before.
- Even the OS itself sometimes is laggy, with occasional visible hiccups in the animations when I'm switching apps with Mission Control. This, however, is very rare (and it doesn't seem to correspond with the number of apps I'm running at the same time)
- Basically, there are good and bad apps when it comes to smooth graphics. Good ones being most of the standard apps, while App Store, Safari, Calendar and iTunes seems to be the worst.

Anyone else experincing the same with their retina MacBook Pro? Suggestions? Are Apple working on this?

Discuss.

Have you tried forcing the discrete graphics to see if it's lag coming from the Intel chip?

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Have you tried forcing the discrete graphics to see if it's lag coming from the Intel chip?

You mean uncrossing the box that says I it opts for the other graphics chip when it can, to save battery? Yup, no difference.

I'm pretty confident this is a software issue, but I would love to have a retina MacBook Pro with the same specs to compare it to.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
You mean uncrossing the box that says I it opts for the other graphics chip when it can, to save battery? Yup, no difference.

I'm pretty confident this is a software issue, but I would love to have a retina MacBook Pro with the same specs to compare it to.

did u update to 8.1??? beacuse i ahvent even ran my MBP on regular 10.8 release version

mountain lion was pretty slow and choppy on my 2010 13" MBP 8 GB, 2.4 dual core

but after a couple of boots, its ok. i see as much lag as prob a 3GS running iOS5

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Safari rendering problems are really annoying. Windows on the rMBP is less buggy than OS X, which is really ironic.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
The Safari rendering problems are really annoying. Windows on the rMBP is less buggy than OS X, which is really ironic.

Boot Camp or Parallel/VM?

and does anyone know if Parallel 8, is going to be supporting windows 8?

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011

So can we confirm that this problem is not unique to my Mac, and is in fact something that appears on every MacBook Pro retina?

I have 5 days left of my open return, so it would be great to know if I should return my MacBook or wait for Apple to release a software update. I don't have an Apple Store in my country, so there are no Apple staff that can help me, other than over phone (which sucks).

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Yep same problems here with images overlapping in Safari, and text in Safari disappearing very sporadically. I'm running 10.8.2 build 12C42 as well, with no fix yet...

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Yep same problems here with images overlapping in Safari, and text in Safari disappearing very sporadically. I'm running 10.8.2 build 12C42 as well, with no fix yet...

Text sporadically disappearing seems to be fixed by disabling autocorrect in Safari.

It's extremely dissapointing they haven't fixed this in 10.8.2 so far, but is it an option that they release a separate update for retina MacBook Pros "outside" of Mountain Lion?

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah I have the same issue, basic software lags like Mail.app, iTunes.app, however heavy stuff runs smooth like butter.
This proves that this issue is software related not hardware related..

stockinvestor

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I have no bugs on my retina mac book pro.
The bug is the batterytime in mountain lion, which apple soon will fix, accodring to rumors of the next update.

goodtime416

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012

I just got my new rMBP and its spec is same as yours (2.6Ghz, 16GB)

and the scrolling feels so laggy in other website, (macrumors seems fine, but google feels so bad)
i used to use my gf's macbook pro 13" 2009? and it feels a lot better than this!!!

and when i launch any apps, the "pop up" looks not as smooth as it suppose to be as well!

I hope this is a software issue because I paid so much money on this rMBP and This is not what I am expecting!!!!!!!:mad:

----------

I just got my new rMBP and its spec is same as yours (2.6Ghz, 16GB)

and the scrolling feels so laggy in other website, (macrumors seems fine, but google feels so bad)
i used to use my gf's macbook pro 13" 2009? and it feels a lot better than this!!!

and when i launch any apps, the "pop up" looks not as smooth as it suppose to be as well!

I hope this is a software issue because I paid so much money on this rMBP and This is not what I am expecting!!!!!!!:mad:

BTW i have already unchecked the auto graphic switching button

and I am having a wifi problem, it simply keep dc overtime :(
using lan port now

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
Surprised to hear this.

Also just got my rMBP with the same specs (2.6GHz with 16GB RAM) this past week and have not had any issues at all. No scroll lag at all on Safari (or other browsers), no text disappearing or image overlapping on Safari, no app "pop up" lag, no WiFi problem, no problems at all. This computer wasn't cheap, but I can't be any happier absolutely love it.

Also, I have the auto-graphics switching checked on. Are you guys all up to date with software (running 10.8.1, heard it fixed a lot of stuff)?

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Surprised to hear this.

Also just got my rMBP with the same specs (2.6GHz with 16GB RAM) this past week and have not had any issues at all. No scroll lag at all on Safari (or other browsers), no text disappearing or image overlapping on Safari, no app "pop up" lag, no WiFi problem, no problems at all. This computer wasn't cheap, but I can't be any happier absolutely love it.

Also, I have the auto-graphics switching checked on. Are you guys all up to date with software (running 10.8.1, heard it fixed a lot of stuff)?

Interesting. Could you try to load and scroll at various speeds on these two sites, and post results?

http://www.aftenposten.no
http://www.nrk.no

Last edited:

goodtime416

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Surprised to hear this.

omg really? i wish mine didn't have those issues :(

can you try to expand a windows (try Chrome, horizontal and vertical) and see if it feels very laggy??

the wifi problem really bugs me... i was skyping with my gf and it DCed me twice within 1 hour:mad:

and when i exit from full screen it not smooth at all.. feels like I'm using an ancient pc with no graphic card (if it makes sense)

----------

Interesting. Could you try to load and scroll at various speeds on these two sites, and post results?

http://www.nrk.no works fine to me
http://www.aftenposten.no is just a disaster :mad:

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
So I went to an Apple Premium Reseller today (not Apple Store, they don't have one in Norway, and thus no geniuses) and compared my retina Mac to the demo models.

The demo model, which was a 2,3 GHz 8 GB RAM one, performed significantly better than my 2,6 GHz 16 GB RAM retina Mac. The scrolling on http://www.aftenposten.no is horrible on my computer, while constant at about 30 fps (or maybe a little lower) on the demo model.

However, the demo version was running Lion, and not 10.8.1 ML as mine. I fail to see how this should make my computer slower still, as most of the other users that report the same problem seem to have had issues since Lion.

The guy in the store also said a friend of him got the retina Mac recently without the UI lag.

Could this indicate a GPU problem?

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
The demo model, which was a 2,3 GHz 8 GB RAM one, performed significantly better than my 2,6 GHz 16 GB RAM retina Mac. The scrolling on http://www.aftenposten.no is horrible on my computer, while constant at about 30 fps (or maybe a little lower) on the demo model.

Could this indicate a GPU problem?

I tried the web site with my MBPr running on battery. If use the integrated HD4000 GPU, scrolling is very laggy. Once switched to the discrete GPU, it was much better. But still far from smooth as butter.

Either the hardware is not sufficient for the high resolution, or ML is still not fully optimized to take advantage of all hardware capabilities. I'm running 10.8.2 latest beta.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008

http://www.aftenposten.no - This one's kind of choppy (but no unbearable) after loading, but I assume it has something to do with that specific website because it doesn't occur on others.

http://www.nrk.no - This website's doesn't have any choppy issues.

----------

omg really? i wish mine didn't have those issues :(

can you try to expand a windows (try Chrome, horizontal and vertical) and see if it feels very laggy??

the wifi problem really bugs me... i was skyping with my gf and it DCed me twice within 1 hour:mad:

and when i exit from full screen it not smooth at all.. feels like I'm using an ancient pc with no graphic card (if it makes sense)

----------

http://www.nrk.no works fine to me
http://www.aftenposten.no is just a disaster :mad:

Chrome is maybe a little more laggy than say Safari, but even if it is it's nothing noticeable.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2012
my display won't go to sleep if I startup my macbook retina, it would only sleep after I restart. Doesn't matter what I put into power preferences

goodtime416

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
http://www.aftenposten.no - This one's kind of choppy (but no unbearable) after loading, but I assume it has something to do with that specific website because it doesn't occur on others.

http://www.nrk.no - This website's doesn't have any choppy issues.

----------

Chrome is maybe a little more laggy than say Safari, but even if it is it's nothing noticeable.

can you try and launch Contacts, then click on the green + to expand (adjust it to a smaller window if it is already maximize)
how does it feel?

marshy82

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
can you try and launch Contacts, then click on the green + to expand (adjust it to a smaller window if it is already maximize)
how does it feel?

i tried this, very choppy on both expanding and adjusting to a smaller window. i am running the latest version 10.8.2 12c53

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
i tried this, very choppy on both expanding and adjusting to a smaller window. i am running the latest version 10.8.2 12c53

Tried this as well, wouldn't describe mine as very choppy rather there's a slight lag - nothing major. I'm running 10.8.1.

goodtime416

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
Tried this as well, wouldn't describe mine as very choppy rather there's a slight lag - nothing major. I'm running 10.8.1.

hmm... i think its more like we need to define what choppy n laggy is...

anyway does apple plan to fix this software wise problem soon? (at least in the next few patches??)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.