Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm told the new iPhone is, so do you think they're going to try to get the same thing for their iPad?

Yes, this isn't asking if you know for sure. This is more... do you think it will be.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I doubt it.

For a small device such as a phone, 16:9 still isn't that much different from 4:3 that it will look or feel awkward to use.

However, as the dimensions increase, the disparity in length will become all the more apparent. I would probably end up sacrificing way too much width to be able to use landscape properly.

Even on my 27" imac, my browser rarely takes up the full screen. Usually, like 3/4 of the length, with the remaining space for video and other folders. Maybe if the next version of IOS allows some form of multitasking or multiple windows open at the same time? I don't mind being able to say, surf safari while watching a video and having imessage open at the same time. :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Ummm.... what?

What makes a 16:9 tablet worse to use in landscape than a 16:10?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ummm.... what?

What makes a 16:9 tablet worse to use in landscape than a 16:10?

For one, I am using it as a portable whiteboard in my classroom (hooked it up to an apple tv), and am already finding it a little cramped for space. Really wouldn't want it to get any less wide, especially when I am trying to show documents and need every last mm of screen real estate.

The projector apparently does some auto-adjusting of its own to make the display more squarish, not sure what it would do to a more rectangular display as well. :p

Basically, I am not sure if the ipad really needs to be longer.

Last edited:

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
It would be great if they actually did something with the extra real estate in landscape mode (like multitasking in windows 8). If not, there really wouldn't be much reason to do it other than keeping the same aspect ratio between the iPhone and iPad.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Not much.

But there's a *big* difference between a 16:9 tablet and a 4:3 tablet.

Yes, but I'm saying that if every Android tablet can be 16:10 and not be horrible, Apple can make a 16:9 and not be horrible. I believe in them. Worst case scenario, they'd have to change the size of the iPad by a fraction of an inch. I know, I know, that'd be changing the size. But they changed the size of the iPhone, so it might be possible.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Yes, but I'm saying that if every Android tablet can be 16:10 and not be horrible, Apple can make a 16:9 and not be horrible

I have a widescreen Android tablet, and it's pretty awful, hence my comment.

They even disabled landscape mode for most of it, because landscape on it is so awkward.

F

fishcove

Yes, but I'm saying that if every Android tablet can be 16:10 and not be horrible, Apple can make a 16:9 and not be horrible. I believe in them. Worst case scenario, they'd have to change the size of the iPad by a fraction of an inch. I know, I know, that'd be changing the size. But they changed the size of the iPhone, so it might be possible.

A fraction of an inch? It's a difference of 25%.

And somehow I think they are shooting for a little more than to "not be horrible".

The aspect ratio of the iPhone is constrained by a specific requirement - maintaining a width narrow enough to be comfortable for one-handed use. The iPad is subject to no such constraints, and the 4:3 AR is just much better suited to its role as a multi-function device.

And with all due respect to all the Android tablets out there, the fact that they are all 16:10 is just one more reason why the iPad never will be.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I would be open to a 16:9 iPad.

Especially with AirPlpay to a 16:9 TV... I would a like for like image.

The iPhone 5 in landscape airplay mirroring shows full screen on the tv
The iPad 3 does not

So yes 16:9 would be better

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
portrait mode will be useless unless the width stays the same size, but then the iPad would be too big

this is why the Microsoft Surface will fail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.