Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.

Not here. The clarity of my 5 in comparison to the 4S is much better. The colors are vibrant and crisp, and everything looks smooth and beautiful. I noticed a HUGE increase in quality with the 5.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

It's not a problem specific to the iPhone 5, as my 4 had this problem but my 5 doesn't. It's just a hit or miss thing, I guess. It's an unfortunate issue that arises due to the fact that Apple has to use multiple suppliers to meet their demands- it's impossible to hold them all to the exact same quality.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It's not a problem specific to the iPhone 5, as my 4 had this problem but my 5 doesn't. It's just a hit or miss thing, I guess. It's an unfortunate issue that arises due to the fact that Apple has to use multiple suppliers to meet their demands- it's impossible to hold them all to the exact same quality.

So is it worth switching it out, or should I just deal with it?

JoeCool71

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Wilmington, NC

I am very impressed with mine over the 4.

Are you using the wood background? Because that would explain the vertical lines.:D

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012

I got that vertical line on my S2 and its annoying as hell. My friends iPhone 4 has it as well but not as bad. I don't think its normal. Exchange it if you're not satisfied!

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I got that vertical line on my S2 and its annoying as hell. My friends iPhone 4 has it as well but not as bad. I don't think its normal. Exchange it if you're not satisfied!

I'm probably going to exchange it. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass. I also will say that the screen is almost grainy-like. If that makes sense...

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
My iPhone 5 screen is thankfully much better than my 4S which was horrible and yellow and washed out looking. And I had two different ones at different times. Both were the same while the display ones looked amazing.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
So is it worth switching it out, or should I just deal with it?

Wait about a month and a half. If you can live with it, keep it. If not, try to get an exchange. I was able to put up with the lines after a while, even though they irritated the crap out of me at first.

Are they persistent, or are they only noticeable after the screen turns on?

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
The screens are just warm for better color representation. Downside: whites look a little worse

worth it to me.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Having had both phones in my hands the iPhone 5 has a more vibrant screen compared to the 4s

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Are you sure it's not the touch matrix?

Touch matrix? I've never heard of. I just want to know if a lot of other people are noticing these tiny dots all over their screen. My iPad looks like it doesn't have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.