Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My earpiece has a slight hiss on phone calls for the first few seconds when it connects, then it goes away.

And it doesnt happen all the time.

Anyone else?

edit: placed a handful of calls and tested on another iPhone 5. Did the same thing. I thought at first it didnt, but after listening closing, I hear the same hiss early on in a call for a little then it levels out. Could either be the service or maybe the way the noise cancellation ports are picking up noising that needs to be ironed out in an update? I dunno, not very worried about it anymore.

Definitely didnt want to swap this phone anyways, its been perfect otherwise. I dont want to test my chances with a replacement.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Gah I can still hear it.

Wonder if I should do a retail swap whenever they get more in

I don't want a phone with another issue though after reading about it..

It's weird though that it comes and goes

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I have notice this as well more so when driving the car. It doesn't happen all the time. Have a feeling it's noise dampening. I also have a rattle when turn vibrate button to vibrate when holding phone to ear. Scheduled an appointment to have checked out

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah the fact that its not all the time and consistently as far as I can tell only in the beginning of the call must be something like that, right?

or maybe the sim card?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3414732?start=135&tstart=0

apparently a lot of people had this issue with 4s.

dont wanna replace it for another one with this, possibly worse and more frequent, AND additional problems.

keep me posted with what happens!

edit: when i place my ear up to the earpiece while loading something over the web, I can hear the static.

its either a hardware or sim issue i suspect.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Update:

just tried cleaning my SIM and putting in another one, does the same thing.

My SIM card in a non-hissing iPhone 5 still does not hiss.

I have to get this thing replaced :(

I have the worst luck with electronics.

going to do a retail swap when possible. I don't want a genius bar replacement and then to have to live with whatever potential problems the next one will have, rendering the return policy useless.

Argh.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I have only noticed a temporary crackle and hiss when i scroll from the first home screen page to the search page on the left. 100% reproducible.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Apparently on apple support forums there's like 12 or 13 pages of 4S owners that were plagued with the hissing issue (as well as previous models).

I'm not the most chatty person in the world on the phone (as a serious understatement), but hissing and static intermittently makes me even less inclined to place phone calls.

I wonder how long it will be before my local Apple store gets more 32gb at&t black in.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
hahah hiss gate.

returned the phone and re-ordered a 32 white.

This phone doesn't do it. Phew.

That was so annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.