Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I have a weird situation where occasionally I will grab a file from usenet and I cannot see it in Finder. When I search using spotlight, I find the file. When I choose to open the containing folder, the file appears, along with other "missing" files. What's going on ?

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
The problem is with Finder. The program I am using to retrieve the file completes its process successfully. When I look at the output folder, the file is not there. If I search using spotlight, the file IS found, and when I choose to open the containing folder (from spotlight), the file magically appears in the already open Finder folder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The problem is with Finder. The program I am using to retrieve the file completes its process successfully. When I look at the output folder, the file is not there. If I search using spotlight, the file IS found, and when I choose to open the containing folder (from spotlight), the file magically appears in the already open Finder folder.
Try re-indexing your drive:
If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I was unable to reproduce my problem until yesterday. I tried the Spotlight re-index and it worked, thank you.

Is this a common problem? Why does this happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.