Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wadeos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 15' Retina, awesome laptop had no problems until recently.

The only problem is that the boot time has just got worse and worse.
Originally on boot up the loading spinner wouldn't even do a complete full turn and it would be on the login screen.
But lately it seems have gotten out of hand. I timed it using my iphone from power on took about 2.52mins to get to the login screen..
I also tried a verbose boot to see what it was doing, it just hangs on "AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkstatus - received Status packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized" for a couple of minutes.
Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance :)

wadeos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
The only thing that was connected was a thunderbolt to ethernet, but it doesn't change when its unplugged and nope i haven't what do you recommend ?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The only thing that was connected was a thunderbolt to ethernet, but it doesn't change when its unplugged and nope i haven't what do you recommend ?

I though you maybe had an Apple magic trackpad connected to it.

Run permissions, open up Disk Utility and select the disk you are running OS X from, repair permissions.

Using your Admin account, you can run all three maintenance scripts at once:

Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Press Return.

Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.

Empty caches, there are three Caches(Or more if there are more User Accounts).

/Users/Your User Account Name/Library/Caches
/Library/Caches
/System/Library/Caches

Empty only the first one, if that does not help empty the second one and if that won't work empty the third one.

Edit: do the above one by one, so permissions first then restart, then the next step and so on.

Last edited:

wadeos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I though you maybe had an Apple magic trackpad connected to it.

Run permissions, open up Disk Utility and select the disk you are running OS X from, repair permissions.

Using your Admin account, you can run all three maintenance scripts at once:

Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Press Return.

Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.

Empty caches, there are three Caches(Or more if there are more User Accounts).

/Users/Your User Account Name/Library/Caches
/Library/Caches
/System/Library/Caches

Empty only the first one, if that does not help empty the second one and if that won't work empty the third one.

Edit: do the above one by one, so permissions first then restart, then the next step and so on.

Done all of the above, still really slow on bootup :confused:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Is the cog wheel just spinning for those 2 minutes or is the grey screen void of cog? If it is void of cog wheel go into System Prefs>Startup Disk and make sure you have the boot volume highlighted (blessed). It makes a difference. Sometimes it get's reset and blanked.

wadeos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Is the cog wheel just spinning for those 2 minutes or is the grey screen void of cog? If it is void of cog wheel go into System Prefs>Startup Disk and make sure you have the boot volume highlighted (blessed). It makes a difference. Sometimes it get's reset and blanked.

The cog is spinning for the 2 minutes. I've been into Start up disk before and made sure OSX was selected, and reselected it and it rebooted but still no different.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I recently had this problem, I have a SSD that had faster boot times prior. However, I couldn't fix it using any of the tricks listed here or elsewhere. The only way I fixed it was by wiping the entire drive and reinstalling everything.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There are 2 more things which crossed my mind just now.

Did you install any driver/software for external devices, like USB 3G dongle, external input devices and so on?
Or any software which installs kernel extensions?
I had something similar quite a while ago, but it halted for much less than 2 minutes, it had to do with driver.

Now, the second thing which I thought about is a fairly complicated one and you need to be aware you need a second bootable backup, or partition to do this.

The AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext implies it is a USB driver, I moved a kernel extension out of the extension folder, it was also a USB kext, I think it was USBmouse and moved it, yet I still lost trackpad control.

Only do this if you know if you are familiar with the system, and only if you have a bootable backup.

Log into a root account, move the AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext which is /System/Library/Extensions to /System/Library
Wait for the kext Cache to be finished, even if you restart it will finish, look if everything works, if not you could try to connect a mouse to the USB and look if it works, if it does logout of normal User and log into root again and drag the AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext back into the /System/Library/Extensions folder and restart.

You also could do the above in terminal but it involves commands like: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext /System/Library/AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext

I would recommend the first one, be careful though.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The cog is spinning for the 2 minutes. I've been into Start up disk before and made sure OSX was selected, and reselected it and it rebooted but still no different.

Directory replacement ala' Diskwarrior could help or fix it but don't spend the $80-100 to find out. Re-install probably best. Maybe try a recover from repair partition first seeing as it is most likely the system folder that is damaged or some sort of physical issue with your SSD. MAke some backups and start the process:(
If you try anything justperry posted remember to also 'diskutil repairPermissions /' prior to reboot.

wadeos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
There are 2 more things which crossed my mind just now.

Did you install any driver/software for external devices, like USB 3G dongle, external input devices and so on?
Or any software which installs kernel extensions?
I had something similar quite a while ago, but it halted for much less than 2 minutes, it had to do with driver.

Now, the second thing which I thought about is a fairly complicated one and you need to be aware you need a second bootable backup, or partition to do this.

The AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext implies it is a USB driver, I moved a kernel extension out of the extension folder, it was also a USB kext, I think it was USBmouse and moved it, yet I still lost trackpad control.

Only do this if you know if you are familiar with the system, and only if you have a bootable backup.

Log into a root account, move the AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext which is /System/Library/Extensions to /System/Library
Wait for the kext Cache to be finished, even if you restart it will finish, look if everything works, if not you could try to connect a mouse to the USB and look if it works, if it does logout of normal User and log into root again and drag the AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext back into the /System/Library/Extensions folder and restart.

You also could do the above in terminal but it involves commands like: sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext /System/Library/AppleUSBMultitouchDriver.kext

I would recommend the first one, be careful though.

I managed to fix the problem using onyx.
Thanks for your help :)

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I faced the problem too... some days it'll boot up super fast and then other days my old Macbook would boot up faster than this.

I just didn't really look into it... lately I haven't had the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.