Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
not on the market for a new apple notebook, altho i was curious if apple would put a dicrete gpu on the mid-range mac mini like the 2011 model, in which case, I would be thinking how i can get the $$$ for it. alas, no discrete gpu and no sweat on my end. my 2011 mini with 6630m will have to do for the foreseeable future. i was thinking of selling it, btw, if the new models had a discrete gpu and had more than 256mb of vram. oh well... anyway, what the eeeek is up with the pricing of the topend 13" rmbp? $1999? if you add an i7 processor, it adds up to $2199, which is the price for the "low-end" 15" rmbp minus the discrete gpu with a full gig of vram. granted the i7 option on the 13" rmbp looks like an extreme edition with a higher clockspeed than the 15" rmbp version... but still.... or is the trade-off between 700mhz of cpu clockspeed and gpu muscle the selling point for getting the i7-clad 13" rmbp? i would figure gpu muscle is more important on a high-resolution screen like the 13" rmbp. or is hd4000 just that good? i don't really care, either way. i am just a little perplex at the price and why apple isn't a little pro-discrete gpu. i guess, apple figures that these people who want discrete gpu would just get the 15" one. but, still... i was hoping for discrete gpu's to be more ubiquitous in the apple lineup, especially when there are these gpu's available. that and apple's stingyness with vram amount makes me scratch my head and i think points to apple's business plan or strategy if one thinks more deeply about it.

Last edited:

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
ok, guys, just to answer my own question and to start this speculation/rumor rolling... if one thinks deeply about apple's vram amount and choice or non-choice of discrete gpu in their computers--one will eventually think of what makes apple, apple, in my opinion.

so what makes apple, apple? we know what makes apple, apple. software and hardware company. unique in the industry. blah, blah, blah. and don't forget "design" company. that is their "meat." we know this. we know apple designs the outside and the inside. yeah yeah yeah. what is your point man? ok, my point is, what are the parts that apple doesn't design? gpus, cpus, memory, hdd's, etc.... i call this the "sauce" that finishes the apple "meal." a little sauce here, stingy vram amount. a little sauce there, we can do without this gpu. etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. and why the little sauce here and there? i think it is supply sometimes (maybe nvidia or amd just can't fab that much gpu or apple has so and so amount of gpu-quantity to spread and sauce their products with that some models will not have a gpu). the 2011 mac mini was an anomally since it had a 6630m and i think the reason for that is that there was a surplus of this "sauce" i talked about.

so what do you guys think of my theory?

oh, and they have a new sauce now called "fusion"

go figure.

ps--same sauce theory goes to 4 gig of standard ram and 5400rpm hdd's in their computer lineup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.