Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
i just got my ibook yesterday, and one thing i've noticed is that webpages are taking a very long time to load/search for there location.
This never seems to be the case on my pcs, and i've tried using AP, and the ethernet port, but it makes no difference to the loading time.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the reason for this?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
They shouldn't be all that slow. I find some sites that were designed for IE are slow on anything but IE. Most people find Mac browsing slightly slower than Windows browsing but it's nothing major in my experience.

Are you using Safari? Maybe reset it from the Safari menu.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
thanks for your reply. well a typical page takes 10 secs (apples main webpage), these forums 8 secs. whereas on my pc, it would take about 1/2sec.
Im just testing out the reset.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
just tried it out, and them same thing, long load times. oh btw, theres only background programs running, and i've got 1gb ram.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I just loaded Apple's main page in about half a second so something's not right. Maybe try deleting the Safari preferences. Look up Safari and plist in Spotlight and delete that file.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
ok - now, whats happening is its still taking 8/10sec to load the main page, but any webpage based on that webpage loads in about 1/2sec - is this normal?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Maybe it's to do with the cache.

Any pages you've visited before will be stored in the cache, to make them load faster next time you visit. Maybe that's why things feel faster now.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
ok, but i take it no one elses mac, does this (in such a long time)?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Strange. So it's taking a particularly long time to initially reach a server but once connected, it's fine.

How exactly are you connected to the internet? I know you mentioned ethernet and AirPort, but how does your modem/router connect to your ISP? Also, are the PCs connecting to the internet quickly at the moment too or are you just basing it from a week or so ago (pre Mac)?

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
my internet connection is setup as: ISP(adsl)>router-wireless>hub>computers .

ever since i've had the connection its been 1/2sec webpage loads, its just strange why OSX is very slow - if i use both the pc and ibook to goto the same webpage, the pc is always first by 9 & 1/2secs.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What browser are you using? It may be worthwhile downloading (if you don't have them already) other browsers such as Camino, Firefox and maybe Opera to see if they too are very slow. That way we can tell if it's a systm problem or a specific browser problem.

Also, does it do downloads at about the same speed? This'll determine if it's a rendering issue or a connection issue.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
downloading is perfect - im getting my full speed.
On my pcs im using firefox.
when using firefox on my ibook, im getting them same problem, as safari

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Try turning IPv6 off.

Go to System Preferences/Network. Then select your network, click on TCP/IP submenu and configure IPv6, turning it off.

Also, have you got all the latest updates installed?

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
just turned ipv6 off, and there is no difference in loading time in firefox or safari.
yes im using all the lastest updates, check this morning.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
OK, if all this isn't working, then it is most likely a DNS issue.

Confirm the correct DNS Server addresses with your ISP. Then enter the correct DNS Server addresses in SysPrefs - Network - TCP/IP.

Between Mad Jew and me, we're going to fix this dammit! :p

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
DNS! yes you could be very right about that. just testing it out now.
on a side note, what is ipv6?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
IPv6 basically controls the addressing and routing of data packets through a network, and is the successor to IPv4 (don't ask me what happened to IPv5!).

I think it's been fixed but there were a few early reports that Tiger didn't quite handle IPv6 right and some people experienced faster speeds with it turned off.

BFG

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
well done guys! thats solved it. getting my normal webpage loading times now.

thank you for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.