Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Home Sharing got broken for me and several others with iOS 6. Everything is a mess. TV Shows are mixed up, all of them not showing up, some movies mixed with them, performance is apalling, etc.

I was really anticipating a fix with iOS 6.0.1 but I just confirmed that it's still the same. I've turned Home Sharing off on both iTunes and iOS devices and back on. Nada.

All other 5 iOS 5 devices are working fine with Home Sharing. So is my ATV3 with the latest iOS.

Any input or ideas? Please share them here.

Clowe64

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Home share solution?

Signing out of home share on the mobile device, then signing back in again worked for me on ipad 2 and iPhone 4S. Under settings/music, click on Apple ID in Home Sharing to sign out.

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Signing out of home share on the mobile device, then signing back in again worked for me on ipad 2 and iPhone 4S. Under settings/music, click on Apple ID in Home Sharing to sign out.

Usually Home Sharing locks up for me about 10-15 minutes after a video starts playing, and it takes forever to load my music/movie library, but this actually fixed my problems on 6.0.1, as far as I could tell since the controls still worked 22 minutes into Bridesmaids and loading my library takes considerably less time than on 6.0.

Not sure why this solution worked for me and not for the OP, but I'm a happy camper.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Usually Home Sharing locks up for me about 10-15 minutes after a video starts playing, and it takes forever to load my music/movie library, but this actually fixed my problems on 6.0.1, as far as I could tell since the controls still worked 22 minutes into Bridesmaids and loading my library takes considerably less time than on 6.0.

Not sure why this solution worked for me and not for the OP, but I'm a happy camper.

The only change I've seen with 6.0.1 is that the TV Shows aren't completely all over the place. But still a mess. Takes forever to load library. Cover art takes forever if at all, still locks up after a few minutes.

My wife on her original iPad on iOS 5 was just watching Homeland from the same library with same Home Sharing ID and it was super fast and smooth.

All hail the new Microsoft. I left Windows ages ago because I hated things not working as they should. Lately there has been an alarming increase in annoyances with Apple.

crhendo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
As somebody who actually does live presentations of technology including Home Sharing for a living, I must admit I was quite p---ed off when all of a sudden some of my audience was unable to connect to my iTunes library but, worse than that, usually reliable apps such as Music were actually crashing when they started to instigate a search! I then wasted countless hours on the phone to Apple trying to find a tech who was prepared to take ownership for the Home Sharing "ecosystem" ie had experience in OSX AND IOS AND iTunes (they are a very rare breed) only to come to the conclusion that my only course of action was to "Hijaak a Genius" at my local Apple Store. (No, I'm not joking). So I booked a time online and arrived at the store with my usual kit..... 1 Epson Projector, 100" portable screen, Mac Book Pro, Mac Mini with 8TB G-Raid iTunes Library (plus my new Drobo Mini to attract some attention), Libratone Live speaker, Aerohive AP330 and assorted iPads and iPod Touch's all loaded with 6.01. Much to the horror of the chief genius I then put all this together (in about 5 minutes) and started to present to my now slowly building audience how easy it was to crash the Music app on any iPad they handed me.

The presentation was a success, the problem was documented and 24 hours later I have just taken a call back from the store saying "this is now a known bug and is being addressed as a matter of urgency. Version 6.0.2 is expected in the next few days".

I'm not holding my breath on this but it was the fastest reponse I have ever received from Apple for a bug report. I just hope I don't have to cart all my gear back in there for version 6.02!

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
As somebody who actually does live presentations of technology including Home Sharing for a living, I must admit I was quite p---ed off when all of a sudden some of my audience was unable to connect to my iTunes library but, worse than that, usually reliable apps such as Music were actually crashing when they started to instigate a search! I then wasted countless hours on the phone to Apple trying to find a tech who was prepared to take ownership for the Home Sharing "ecosystem" ie had experience in OSX AND IOS AND iTunes (they are a very rare breed) only to come to the conclusion that my only course of action was to "Hijaak a Genius" at my local Apple Store. (No, I'm not joking). So I booked a time online and arrived at the store with my usual kit..... 1 Epson Projector, 100" portable screen, Mac Book Pro, Mac Mini with 8TB G-Raid iTunes Library (plus my new Drobo Mini to attract some attention), Libratone Live speaker, Aerohive AP330 and assorted iPads and iPod Touch's all loaded with 6.01. Much to the horror of the chief genius I then put all this together (in about 5 minutes) and started to present to my now slowly building audience how easy it was to crash the Music app on any iPad they handed me.

The presentation was a success, the problem was documented and 24 hours later I have just taken a call back from the store saying "this is now a known bug and is being addressed as a matter of urgency. Version 6.0.2 is expected in the next few days".

I'm not holding my breath on this but it was the fastest reponse I have ever received from Apple for a bug report. I just hope I don't have to cart all my gear back in there for version 6.02!

Wow! I'm really grateful that you went through all that to try and sort out the problem. I do hope that it gets sorted out. Funny how they didn't seem to know about it earlier. Thanks man!

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
I'm glad you went through all of that to deal with this problem too. I actually tried it on a different computer and it worked... But it still isn't working on my computer. :(

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The more I read these forums, the happier I am that I stayed well away from iOS 6.
Originally it was because of Maps, but there are just so many more reasons right now!

Time to really sit this one out and wait for iOS 7 me thinks.

OldRhodie

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
Solved for me

I've been unable to use home sharing since upgrading to IOS 6 but appear to have resolved things this morning. I normally attach directly to the Virginmedia wireless router, which I think is a Netgear. I attached my Apple Airport Express to the router by Ethernet cable and then logged my iPad onto the AE instead of the Netgear and 'bingo' I'm back on home sharing!

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
This still isn't working on my computer as well, but I actually went to a friends house and found that it worked on hers. She's using a later version of iTunes though. I think this may be the problem.....

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
This still isn't working on my computer as well, but I actually went to a friends house and found that it worked on hers. She's using a later version of iTunes though. I think this may be the problem.....

Later version, as in a beta? Or you just haven't upgraded your iTunes to the lattes version? I have the latest publicly available iTunes and doesn't work.

Also, I had to change my wireless router for other reasons. Problem didn't go away although wifi syncing seems to be a lot better.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Big ups for doing this! That's quite a presentation. I was having trouble with Home Sharing as well, so I logged out of it on all my devices (Mac, ipad mini, iPhone 4S), reset them all, and logged back in. Been good ever since. It's apparent there's still a problem, tho. It must be fixed...

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Did you call apple? If not, PLEASE DO! I'm on the phone with them now and they're telling me that I'm the only person that has reported it, almost as if to say I'm the only one with the problem.... The more people that report this problem, the faster it'll get fixed...... Make sure you get a case number.. I'm wondering if this wont be a class action suit in the future...

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
iTunes 11 makes no difference to this bug.

Personally, all I can do is submit bug through whatever written channels available. Phone call is not an option as there is no Apple presence in this country and calling overseas would not be worth the effort.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
iTunes 11 makes no difference to this bug.

Personally, all I can do is submit bug through whatever written channels available. Phone call is not an option as there is no Apple presence in this country and calling overseas would not be worth the effort.

Get Skype and call the toll free number in te USA.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just comment here that 6.1 has vastly improved in the Home Sharing department. While the performance isn't quite as good as iOS5, it's quite usable now and doesn't freeze.

jaimech

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
It works for me but I did this:

I was having the problem where the library would start loading and stopped on half circle. I did research and followed several threads on how to solve the problem until I came across one that solved it.

The problem was actually that I was being very impatient. Please just wait for it to load. It can take a while specially if the content you are trying to share is large. Mine was loading correctly but the auto lock feature that you can find under "Settings" and "General" was active and it was preventing the library from finishing to load. If the phone or Ipod auto locks it will interfere with the correct loading of the Library. The solution that worked for me is: Activate Home Sharing on Itunes, Activate Home Sharing on your Iphone/Ipod and then go to the music or video app and tap "More" then "shared" and then your Library. Do not leave this screen or do not let your device to auto lock. Just wait with patience and your Library will be there soon or late.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
I was having the problem where the library would start loading and stopped on half circle. I did research and followed several threads on how to solve the problem until I came across one that solved it.

The problem was actually that I was being very impatient. Please just wait for it to load. It can take a while specially if the content you are trying to share is large. Mine was loading correctly but the auto lock feature that you can find under "Settings" and "General" was active and it was preventing the library from finishing to load. If the phone or Ipod auto locks it will interfere with the correct loading of the Library. The solution that worked for me is: Activate Home Sharing on Itunes, Activate Home Sharing on your Iphone/Ipod and then go to the music or video app and tap "More" then "shared" and then your Library. Do not leave this screen or do not let your device to auto lock. Just wait with patience and your Library will be there soon or late.

I tried this... Still doesn't work.. I have 239 gb of music on my itunes... Maybe that's the problem.. Worked with OS5, but doesn't seem to want to work with OS6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.