Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
One of my friends recently showed me what he can do with Final Cut, but coming from a more technical background I was more interested in the clustering option. How difficult would it be to set up a cluster that final cut could use, is xserv needed and will the use of 100mb Ethernet really slow down the cluster that much??

Thanks

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
My school is replacing a lab full of Dual 867 MHz G4s with new 20" iMacs and they are going to use the old G4s as a render farm for Final Cut. Not sure of the specifics of how they are doing it, but it shows that you don't need XServes. While Fiber Channel would obviously be faster, I think that these all have the Gigabit Ethernet so they should be fast enough.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Sorry, I meant Xgrid, not xserve. My bad! ;)

The reason I’m enquiring about the network speed is that I had a parallel programming course a few years back, and we used a 100mb network to get the Linux cluster to talk over, but I can imagine that final cut would use very big data sets and 100mb might be a big limit, would be very interesting to see how limiting exactly.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I don't think 100mb would be fast enough. You would only have sustained transfer rates of around 7-12 mb/s.

I have used gigabit for network rendering and it seems to go as fast as my harddrives!

asuidrok

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
Final Cut is Not a Multi Thread App

Currently, [to the best of my knowledge] Final Cut is not a multi-thread application, therefore does not support cluster/network rendering.

However, Compressor supports cluster processing, and I believe Motion does as well.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
See the discussion has sort of died, but I have a question to bring it back to life.. I had the opportunity to bring together everyone I knows macs, all of them have gigabit ethernet and I have a 8 port gigabit switch, I want to use this opportunity to test how much of a limitation 100mb ethernet will be for something like Compressor. But here is the catch... I dont want to break the law and not everyone has final cut on their machines, is there any way I can test the limitation that 100mb ethernet will be with encoding multimedia without breaking some sort of copyright law??

Thanks in advance!!

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks, was hoping for a shareware application or something, the test is purely theoretical, dont really want to spend money on something that will last a day at most.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Lollypop said:
...I want to use this opportunity to test how much of a limitation 100mb ethernet will be for something like Compressor. But here is the catch... I dont want to break the law and not everyone has final cut on their machines
I believe you can install unlimited render licenses for Compressor on each node. You still need individual licenses for each app like FCP. The documentation for setting up an Xgrid are nearly non-existent. I have yet to see any way to work with render nodes easily.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.