Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is a better buy?

• MacBook Pro with Retina 13-inch

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Sony VAIO S 13.3"

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Lenovo U410 14-inch

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I've been considering which laptop to get... I use my laptop for casual gaming, entertainment, and work using various accounting software. Which one would be the most suitable/good buy? I am currently an accounting student close to graduation

MacBook Pro with Retina 13-inch ($1,599 student pricing)
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
1.62kg

Sony VAIO S 13.3" ($999, but sometimes it goes on sale for $100/$200 off)
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M (2.50GHz/3.10GHz)
6GB RAM
750GB HDD
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 + NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE hybrid graphics
1.72kg

Lenovo U410 14-inch ($899, but sometimes it goes on sale for $200 off)
Dual-core Intel Core i7-3517U 1.90 GHz
8GB RAM
750GB
24GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 610M / Intel HD Graphics 4000
1.90 kg

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
What do you need? Which features do you want? Which computer do you like more? What is your budget? Do you normally let strangers make decisions for you about $1000 purchases?

The MBRR has a retina display (very high resolution), much faster solid state disk, and it's more portable. Which is better depends on the questions above.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Why are you not comparing those laptops with the 13" cMBP?

They don't have a high-res display nor all-flash storage.

Of course the 13" rMBP is way better than the two others but it's not even fair given they're not in the same category of computers / price.

Heck, even the 13" cMBP is in a totally different category of build quality / price.

You're basically asking "Should I buy the real thing or a cheap plastic knock-off with a crappy trackpad, worse battery life and bloatware". Depends on your budget man.

Lenovo%20U410.jpg

Last edited:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Depends...
If its for work that mainly uses Windows, I would go with Lenovo.
Just for personal use and you dont use windows, MBP.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
The Sony would be the better choice if "Light" gaming consists of FPS games. Wait for Haswell before purchasing a rMBP 13".

HOWEVER!

Make sure you get the Sony or other PC on sale. Your gonna take a hit on resale compared to Apple products.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You're basically asking "Should I buy the real thing or a cheap plastic knock-off with a crappy trackpad, worse battery life and bloatware". Depends on your budget man.

Lenovo%20U410.jpg

Have you tried either of those or is this just an assumption? Both sony and lenovo have put out some respectable machines. I see no reason for people to look down on anything that isn't what they personally use.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I gather you're not committed to running OS X or the other two wouldn't be on the list...

For your usage (gaming, accounting software) the Mac doesn't make sense.

I'd get the Lenovo. On paper the Vaio is better but we had a nightmare supporting a few Vaio machines here - poor reliability, extremely poor service turn around time getting them fixed, etc.

That was several years ago however, maybe they've improved.

CirrusPilot

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Agreed with the above. Lenovos are great. You have to get the ThinkPad line though. The Ideapad and all that other stuff is mainly plastic consumer junk. I have a ThinkPad T40 that is six years old and still running. Never had to send it in for service, and never had to replace a part. They are ugly as heck, but they are built like tanks and have all of the features that you need. They aren't the best gaming laptops, as some of their graphic cards aren't designed for that, but whatever it lacks in that department, it certainly makes up for in others.

Seriously though... Do not get a non-ThinkPad lenovo. If you do, you might as well save your money and buy an Acer or HP.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you're looking to use OS X, I don't think you have a choice.

Otherwise I would consider a ThinkPad X1 Carbon or perhaps a ThinkPad X301. These two are solid machines with great battery life and reasonably good performance.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Have you tried either of those or is this just an assumption? Both sony and lenovo have put out some respectable machines. I see no reason for people to look down on anything that isn't what they personally use.

I've read about the trackpad and battery life in reviews. As for the fact that it's a knockoff, this is targeted specifically at the Lenovo which's design is blatant copy of the MBP. Those guys had a pretty solid reputation with the ThinkPad line, they don't need to place themselves as imitators, that's like admitting you're inferior while Lenovo was actually one of the last companies to rival Apple on build quality.

The day a single Windows laptop will have a trackpad (and trackpad software) as good as a MacBook, I think the world will rejoice and all tech sites will make a huge deal out of it, with reason. As it is not a single one come even close to what was introduced over 4 years ago on Apple laptops and it's a shame.

While it's true that I look down on those computers and that I use something else, I'm not looking down on them because I use something else. If Apple competitors came out with a laptop with a trackpad that work as well as a MacBook's, good battery life, solid build quality, good screen, no bloatware, and a design that wasn't a blatant ripoff, I would have a lot of respect for it.

It simply doesn't happen.

I'm judging laptops on their absolute value, not relative value. It's not because the whole laptop industry suck that I'm going to pretend that a single laptop individually doesn't suck simply because it's not worse than the rest. Windows OEM simply don't seem to care anymore and just race to the bottom and I'm not encouraging this. There's no progress in screen quality, resolution, trackpad quality, speaker quality, build quality, bundled software since a whole decade. Some of those are even getting worse. The only things that improve are the internals, and that's because they're made by different suppliers, not the OEM themselves.

Call me a snob for putting those computers down, but I truly think the (non-Apple) laptop industry deserve my complains and should care about making computers that are actually good a little more instead of just competing on pricing. Could you imagine if, say, all car companies made cars with the same philosophy? No innovation for a decade, some regression even, but let's just bring the price down each year.

Maybe I just have high standards for computers but it doesn't change the fact that no Windows OEM seems to even try to meet high standards anymore. (Well, there's actually a couple exception, but none were mentioned here). All the real improvements are made in the smartphone/tablet world. I actually do wish they cared, that way Apple could actually have some competition and stop charging a premium for features that should actually be standard on pretty much any laptop.

That comment Linus Torvarlds made should simply be applied to every part a laptop OEM is responsible of.

/rant

Last edited:

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I gather you're not committed to running OS X or the other two wouldn't be on the list...

For your usage (gaming, accounting software) the Mac doesn't make sense.

I'd get the Lenovo. On paper the Vaio is better but we had a nightmare supporting a few Vaio machines here - poor reliability, extremely poor service turn around time getting them fixed, etc.

That was several years ago however, maybe they've improved.

this is what I am thinking as well, there doesn't seem to be anything that Macbook can do that a PC cannot do... but the opposite is not true

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
The three options you've provided make for a difficult comparison because the rMBP 13 so overwhelmingly out-prices the other two. Since you're considering Windows PCs, I'm guessing you are fine staying with Windows.

I have to agree with some of the others here recommending the ThinkPad X1 Carbon. It really is a fantastic ultrabook and I'm a big believer in ThinkPad build quality and reliability (which has to be considered separately from other Lenovos). You're spending more than your PC options but less than the rMBP for a machine with similar specs, getting a lower-res screen, and swapping aluminum for carbon fiber. Also, the X1 Carbon features (imo) the best, most Mac-like trackpad of all the Windows PCs (really, the only problem is lack of application support for Lenovo's multitouch software.) and the legendary ThinkPad keyboard (The best keyboards on the market. No question.)

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
this is what I am thinking as well, there doesn't seem to be anything that Macbook can do that a PC cannot do... but the opposite is not true

The PC ( hackintosh ) cannot run Mac OS as smoothly as the Mac can Windows !

But, if you're considering a PC, my vote goes to Lenovo or HP Elitebooks.

I personally will not go back to a PC, especially since I can run Windows natively on a Mac and I love Mac's build quality and CS.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
+1 to the elitebooks, run a fleet of them here.

However, at RRP, they are expensive for a PC Laptop.

Supposedly engineered towards some MIL spec for durability though. And i have to say our failure rate has been fairly low on them (have a fleet of 500 machines here, roughly 300 elitebooks).

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
for me.......

what separates MBP with its PC competitors is that there is no competition because everyone else isn't innovating - everyone else is trying to copy a standard that apple set, no one is stepping up out of fear or incompetence who knows?

anyways, from a Taoist girl's perspective, the MBPs are so sleek and minimalist and heavy in sexy factor, just like the men behind :apple::apple: oh gawd did I just really type that? i did ;)

just in good humor as always!

=^_^=

..thanks..

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Interesting options, however I would always go with a Mac, thought about the 13" Retina, but the lack of Storage options and cost drove me away

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Interesting options, however I would always go with a Mac, thought about the 13" Retina, but the lack of Storage options and cost drove me away

Yeah but the regular macbook pro is so damn thick and heavy!

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
To be honest if it is in your budget I would just get a 15in rmbp and call it a day. Unless you want a windows pc the 15in retina will do everything you want it to. The 13in will not be very good for games at all (depending on what you are trying to run of course).

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
If OSX is not a requirement, or you don't really care about it, then a PC will usually be the better buy. A big reason to buy a Mac is because you really want OSX.

Plus, that poll isn't exactly a fair comparison since you've got the rMBP in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.