Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your mapping intentions

• Pre iPhone 4S: Stick with Apple Maps only

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Pre iPhone 4S: Use Google Maps only

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Pre iPhone 4S: Use both!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • iPhone 4S/5: Stick with Apple Maps only

Votes: 43 25.7%
  • iPhone 4S/5: Use Google Maps only

Votes: 45 26.9%
  • iPhone 4S/5: Use both!

Votes: 63 37.7%

• Total voters

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I'd love to see a Poll of the mapping options, but I'm not smart enough to create one myself. It should at least cover Whether people intend to stick with Apple, or use Google's new app now that it's out. And it should probably differentiate between pre-iPhone 4S users and 4S-5 users, as the former don't get turn-by-turn on Apple's solution. Anyone want to put it up? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'll only be using Google Maps as a plug-in for public transport directions.

That way, there's no need to login, enable location services or send data to Google.

Suits me just fine!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Doesn't anyone use the factory nav that comes with the car?

Thanks to the rate at which I shovel money into Apple's coffers I don't have the cash to buy the top-of-the-line automobiles.

I think that's still pretty un-common, really. I'd say that fewer than 10% of the people I know have a built-in nav system but 90% have smartphones.

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Where is the option for no I don't use mapping apps and think their useless?

Well, you're on a forum that deals with Apple products, specifically. And you're in a thread dedicated to iOS 6 particularly... So, if you don't intend to use mapping with your iOS device, then this forum and thread aren't for you, and simply not posting or responding to the poll would be the appropriate way to indicate that. :rolleyes:

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I like the apple maps look better but I trust googles mapping system more. I still prefer waze over the both of them though

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Thanks to the rate at which I shovel money into Apple's coffers I don't have the cash to buy the top-of-the-line automobiles.

I think that's still pretty un-common, really. I'd say that fewer than 10% of the people I know have a built-in nav system but 90% have smartphones.

Lol I drive a vw far from expensive and I too shovel money into apple

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Lol I drive a vw far from expensive and I too shovel money into apple

Well if it's not a money-thing then I have to assume that people just don't care about that when buying a car. Because seriously, I hardly know anyone with a built-in nav system. In terms of their future trajectory they seem less like power steering and more like power seatbelts.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Well if it's not a money-thing then I have to assume that people just don't care about that when buying a car. Because seriously, I hardly know anyone with a built-in nav system. In terms of their future trajectory they seem less like power steering and more like power seatbelts.

It's actually the complete opposite and I know lots of people with newer cars not even high line models with integrated nav systems. Factory nav and audio systems are on the rise and even more popular than ever. I can use Siri through my system over the car speakers and my nav at the same time all without taking my hands off the wheel.

I can't remember the last time I even opened a maps app

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Doesn't anyone use the factory nav that comes with the car? Mine is far better than any phone app

----------

Right with ya on that!

Umm, factory nav is out of date fast. I have car < 1 yr old and it gave me the wrong directions into DC 3 times on one trip. It would say stay to the left when I should have clearly went right. I ended up turning it off and following signs!

I trust apple and google more than factory Nav any day. Plus its so much faster to enter/find destinations.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I use the in car one for actual driving directions. It is easier to follow directions I find than a phone one. Normally, if I'm going some place I've never been before I do Google maps online, send to my car so the location is there and I don't have to enter.
Have use the phone one when not in my car or to check out general directions etc. before starting out.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'll stick with Apple Maps and only use Google if I need it. Since I live in a larger metro area Apple Maps should be sufficient.

But on the topic of Goggle's map app...during turn-by-turn, how do I get her to repeat directions? She'll tell me to turn right in one mile onto X street. But if I didn't hear her or remember the street name, how do I get her to repeat the next turn?

loaferkan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I prefer google map any time over apple map, but then now I have got used to apple map. So I believe a combination of both would be better.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'll use both but monitor apple maps to see how they improve.

I used to be a google fan, but I dislike google as a company - i don't want them to own all of my data, mapping, etc, but i do need to find out where i am :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.