Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
What do you think is the best PPC computer?

Consider design, portabilty, reliability and speed. I can't choose between the PowerBook G4 and the Power Mac G5.

The iMac G5 and iBook G3 both look cool, but they are both unreliable, for example.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
iMac G4

My personal favorite is the iMac G4. I have a 15" original sitting on my desk still; it's modern enough to still be useful ten years on, and its design is still absolutely stunning. It's one of the first things people comment on when they first see my workspace. I don't think any company, even Apple, has yet to create a computer that comes anywhere near the eye-catching, breathtaking design of the iMac G4.

So far as power and reliability are concerned, probably the last air-cooled Power Mac G5s. For portables, for me anyway, it's the 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 all the way. I had one of those for a good while as my main laptop, and I loved the snot out of that little laptop.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
My personal favorite is the iMac G4. I have a 15" original sitting on my desk still; it's modern enough to still be useful ten years on, and its design is still absolutely stunning. It's one of the first things people comment on when they first see my workspace. I don't think any company, even Apple, has yet to create a computer that comes anywhere near the eye-catching, breathtaking design of the iMac G4.

So far as power and reliability are concerned, probably the last air-cooled Power Mac G5s. For portables, for me anyway, it's the 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 all the way. I had one of those for a good while as my main laptop, and I loved the snot out of that little laptop.

I agree that the later PowerBook G4s are outstanding, with the later G4 iBooks a close second.

Though I get why people love the design of the G4 iMacs, I just never liked them. When I look at one, I see a badly designed art-deco lamp.

In the end, you can't go wrong with the G4s/G5s with the fewest problems.

BlueEagle

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Newton NJ
Heres my run down

For design: iMac G4
Portiability: iBook G3"snow" & G412in" (fit in just about any bag I tried to stuff it in)

Reliability: Mac Mini (never turned it off for 7 years besides when the power would go out.

Speed: that would have to go to the G5 models (was blown away when I first used one)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Heres my run down

For design: iMac G4
Portiability: iBook G3"snow" & G412in" (fit in just about any bag I tried to stuff it in)

Reliability: Mac Mini (never turned it off for 7 years besides when the power would go out.

Speed: that would have to go to the G5 models (was blown away when I first used one)

I don't know. As was covered here on a recent thread, those G3 iBooks were plagued with problems. Much better off with G4 iBooks, for speed, power, and portability.

BlueEagle

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Newton NJ
I don't know. As was covered here on a recent thread, those G3 iBooks were plagued with problems. Much better off with G4 iBooks, for speed, power, and portability.

Oh I know they did but the one I owned really never had any issues. I did how ever have the good old logic board issue with the video card. This happened in 2007, I called apple about the issue at the time and they set me up an appointment at the store. I brought it down they sent it out, repaired the logicboard and also replaced the top bezel around the keyboard all for free. It was out of warranty for years. im guessing there was a recall on them of some sort. Got many years out of the little machine untill the display went in 2010. pretty good for buying it used off of ebay. Anyway for portibility it was great at the time.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I think a PowerBook G4 (later model) would be great for you. I absolutely love mine. It's reliable, portable and still quick.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Consider design, portabilty, reliability and speed. I can't choose between the PowerBook G4 and the Power Mac G5.

The iMac G5 and iBook G3 both look cool, but they are both unreliable, for example.

The Power Mac G5 is not the most interesting design- Cube and G4 iMac are better. It is also very unreliable. I would say the PowerBook G4 is the best laptop and the iMac G4 is the best desktop.

You can't really compare Desktops to Laptops, though.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

iBook G4 1.2 Ghz :) I love it. It is portable, it doesn't need much space and it looks cool.

My first mac was an iBook G3 500 Mhz. Yes, those were prone to failures, but mine survived a storm :O

Go with the PowerBook 12"

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Cool! The design for the Power Mac G5 was so good, they haven't changed it in 10 years!

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
iMac G4. Hands down.

I have an 17" iMac G4 1Ghz 2GB RAM running leopard on a small SSD. I love this thing. More than my retina MBP.

By far the best design wise Apple computer.

I also had the iMac G5 20" (non iSight) and never had problems, so this is a close second for me. So easy to upgrade that thing.

I miss those days when Apple computers were real special. And I got just pop the iMac G5 open and thow in something new. Now, man.. It's still cool and all, but I guess the nostalgic factor keeps me using my iMac G4 from time to time.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I forgot the iMac G5

I bought one for my sister. It came with the box, DVDs and more. They love it! The screen size is just perfect. The design is awesome, it saves space and best of all, it is very very fast!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland

I remember my first encounter with a G3 (Beige, tower). After half a year on a Quadra 660AV, a PPC 6100/66 and a PPC 4400/160, the G3 just blew me away... I later "downgraded" to a PPC 9600 and that was a nice machine as well.

Designwise, I really appreciate the G4 iMac, although I admit I have no "poweruser" experience with it. IMNSHO experience Sir Ive more than compensated for his earlier crime (the TAM) with the "lamp".

In some ways the G5 PM is quite revolutionary. After the "wind tunnel" debacle of later G4 PM's Apple acknowledged the need for "thermal planning", and (as some have noted) it has proven a sustainable approach.

My personal favorite, a machine which always makes me feel warm and cuddly, is nevertheless the 12" G4 PowerBook. I've had one myself (powerused it for some 20 months) and although the "oomph" just is not suitable for today's me, I've repurposed a number of them for acquaintances. In fact one specimen is right beside me, waiting to (come christmas eve) become my mother-in-law's first ever computer. The form and composition of the components (screen, top case) and the well balanced nature of the package just is so right.

RGDS,

wobegong

May 29, 2012
iMac G4 for design by a mile
Mac Mini
PowerMac G5 because its beautiful and powerful (in its day), for looks alone you could say PM G5 and Mac Pro because they look the same outside but open them up and the G5 extends its detail to the bits you don't see as well more than the MacPro IMO.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
"Sawtooth" Powermac G4.

They were very reliable, expandable (RAM, AGP GPU & HDDs) and nicely designed. They had also a handle on each corner of the case, which makes them four times as portable as an iBook G3 :)

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
An iMac G4 17''/20'' 1.25GHz with maxed ram (Wish I had a 20'' one, I have a 17'' - beggars can't be choosers though!).

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Powermac G5 for the thermal zone design, iMac G4 for aesthetics, the TAM for being ahead of its time.

Powerbook G4, for having a good thermal design. The fans barely turns on.

Last edited:

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
At this point in time, if you don't already have a G5 or specifically want one, I'd avoid getting one if only for the power consumption. That said, they are fairly tanky and well built, except the early WC models, which should be avoided. I'm biased, but i love the PowerBook G4. Just installed my SSD, it is totally silent for most usage. Literally, no drive sounds, no fans, nothing. The fans almost never even spin up now that I've redone the thermal paste.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
IBM Blue Gene?

Assuming Apple only.. ;)

iMac G4 for looks
Mac Mini for being the first useable (discrete!) Media Centre
Powerbook G4 for being so well designed its basic format is fully visible even in Macbook/Pro being sold today.
PowerMac G5 - Same as above but with a beauty that extends to the inside as well (and fast in their day).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.